+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundstage

I'm Gordon.

Thanks, Martin - and you are spot on with the room and the mixing engineer. If the mixing engineer has done a good job then I think the secret sauce for speakers that image well and produce a big soundstage is polar response (ie driver radiation pattern or directivity). The shape of the upper baffle on the LX521 is designed to ensure that the radiation pattern is the same (well, as near as possible) for all frequencies even though there are three different drivers involved. Siegfried Linkwitz, Earl Geddes and Floyd Toole, all designers that I admire, are proponents of constant directivity design for speakers.

Some of the best new speakers I've heard in the last few years are the Kii Threes and the Dutch & Dutch 8Cs. Both are using DSP to control directivity and I've always been impressed by the soundstage and imaging whenever I've heard these speakers. I guess you can say they are a new generation of speakers in a way as they are almost completely self-contained - fully active with amps for each driver in the box, dsp and connectivity for just about whatever source components you want to use. But mix and match they are not so may take the fun out of this hobby for some.

When it comes to soundstage I think the physical size can have a major impact. I've just started experimenting with my Maggies in a 5.1 configuration (MG2.5Rs for L/R, CC2 for centre, MG1s for surrounds) together with the LX521 bass modules. This is as close to what Toole calls envelopment as I've heard. The images are more diffuse than what I get with the LX521, but are positioned nicely in the soundstage. Although the LX521 can throw a big soundtage the Maggie 5.1 system is grander in scale and has a very relaxed, but still detailed presentation. I've never had much desire to go down the multi speaker route, but they have been quite a revelation.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We'll have to disagree. Mixing for soundstage isn't done on headphones. You need speakers to create a soundstage. I don't know what phenomena/illusion you are talking about with headphones but it isn't anything created intentionally in the studio.

Soundstage should always be behind the plane of the speakers as well. Soundstage 'in front' of the speakers is wrong, it shows that the system is not accurate.

I'd be interested in a pointer to any psychological research that shows that some people cannot hear stereo effects (unless their hearing is damaged). That sounds very unlikely to me.
    Depends on the recording: on a few the soloist can apper to be slightly in front of the plane of the speakers.

But in general most of the soundstage should appear to lay behind the speakers. And the width of the soundstage can, and often will, extend beyond the speakers.

As the late Peter Walker of Quad said "somewhere just beyond the plane of the speakers, the walls of your listening room should disappear and be replaced by those of the auditorium ".
    Barry

I'm Gary.

This is one aspect that is interesting, most speakers don't project sound backwards so how does the soundstage appear to be behind them?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Mike.

[QUOTE
    As the late Peter Walker of Quad said "somewhere just beyond the plane of the speakers, the walls of your listening room should disappear and be replaced by those of the auditorium ".[/QUOTE]

Soundstage and imaging are the most important elements in my Hi-Fi replay. The above quote illustrates perfectly how my current set-up performs and is what I aim for. I do listen near field though, which helps, as room reflections are minimal.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    [QUOTE
    As the late Peter Walker of Quad said "somewhere just beyond the plane of the speakers, the walls of your listening room should disappear and be replaced by those of the auditorium ".
    Soundstage and imaging are the most important elements in my Hi-Fi replay. The above quote illustrates perfectly how my current set-up performs and is what I aim for. I do listen near field though, which helps, as room reflections are minimal.[/QUOTE]

Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Simon.

Isn't it a combination if speaker polar response, boundary and reflection, mic placement and head related transfer function.

Everyone hears it differently based on hrtf.

I was at a piano recital on Saturday, Angela Hewitt in the round at the Crucible, there was no soundstage at all, just a piano in the middle of the room with no reflections to speak of, just mono sound coming from a six by ten foot space. Totally unlike any gig I've ever been to.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    No. There's a fundamental difference between headphones and loudspeakers: when listening with headphones the left ear can only hear the left channel, whereas with speakers the left ear can hear both channels. Same for the right ear, obviously. So with headphones there is strict channel separation but with speakers there's a certain amount of "bleed" between channels.

Binaural recordings are designed for headphone playback.

Yes, I agree.
    There are headphone amps with crossfeed that electronically create the L/R crosstalk, I had a Meier Audio one and liked the facility.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    There are headphone amps with crossfeed that electronically create the L/R crosstalk, I had a Meier Audio one and liked the facility.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Yup jriver does it too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    This is one aspect that is interesting, most speakers don't project sound backwards so how does the soundstage appear to be behind them?
    This clip answers your question at around 5 mins.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI7DA886-9o

Last edited by Mixc; 19-10-2018 at 04:44. Reason: try to add video

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixc View Post
    This clip answers your question at around 5 mins.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI7DA886-9o

I would disagree with his opinion... Mic placement and varies so much and many mics are not directional.
    Music moves outwards from the source. Speakers should reproduce this.
    My view on speakers is the better they are, the more 3d or room filling they are.. most speakers do a decent placement or image in 2d( between the speakers) but a decent 3 d oom filling image it seems to go hand in hand with a higher resolution system.
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast