+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Musical use and abuse

I'm Shaun.

Yeah, artistry definitely. The way Knopfler can play just a simple little phrase on the guitar of maybe three notes that just belongs so much in the whole context of the song. Time for wet eyes.

I'm Shaun.

The way an album by Acoustic Alchemy or Al Di Meola can shift me into a zone of weird semi consciousness that is like shifting time. Priceless.

I'm Drew.

Some very interesting, revealing and diverse comments...

I'm Rich.

I would have thought that the term musicality would be applied to the arrangement of notes you are listening to, not the equipment on which you are listening to it.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    I would have thought that the term musicality would be applied to the arrangement of notes you are listening to, not the equipment on which you are listening to it.
    In a general sense certainly, but in this particular hobby many people tend to use it to describe the nature of aural 'output' conveyed by particular component/s and combination thereof, source etc
    Last edited by da2222; 14-10-2018 at 20:25.

I'm Drew.

My own take on 'musicality' would be an engaging sound that gets feet tapping or the heart racing, wrapped in a warm emotive glow, where enjoyment immerses the experience and the critical, analytical, 'straight back' chore of listening for detail and clarity (finally!) fades into irrelevance...

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    In a general sense certainly, but in this particular hobby many people tend to use it to describe the nature of aural 'output' conveyed by particular component, source etc
    Yes they do, and in this way, of the following two statements:

1. Hi Fi exists to make the music more enjoyable

2. Music exists to make our hi fi sound more enjoyable.

the second statement is often closer to the truth even if we are unwilling to admit it. With this mindset, musicality is likely to be infrequent and fleeting. I think the part our own emotional state and mood plays is all too often overlooked.

And often I find myself enjoying music played through the radio or a friend's 'lesser' system as I can relax and I have no time and money invested and so can listen without criticism of the system.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Nick.

I have at times described certain hi-fi components as 'musical' - interesting to think about how I would describe exactly what I meant by that to someone else.

I think the sense of it for me is when the music you are listening to sounds 'alive'. I don't mean necessarily a 'live' sound, more like unleashed. When there's nothing hindering or holding the music back, the flow is smooth and natural, and the synergy of all the parts (performance, recording, playback, reproduction) comes together to create an emotional experience in the listener that's unique to that moment.

I'm Gary.

IMO it's reviewer BS.

All that matters is the owner/listener of a piece of equipment enjoying how it makes the music sound.

Airy, forward, dynamic, warm, bright etc?

Who cares what it's described as, you liking it is what matters not what some pretentious journalist calls it
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Steve.

I can see some value in terms like 'warm' or 'bright', as it could help with system matching eg. an amp considered to be bright sounding may want to be put with speakers with a warmer tonal balance. Gets you there a bit sooner (less trial and error). Then the final sound can be tweaked to a degree with cables, placement etc. to suit individual tastes.

But I do feel that musicality is too subjective to be of any use in describing the sound, and as I've suggested before, it's probably more about the listener and the music than the equipment.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast