+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: REVIEW - A new giant killing platter mat

I'm Andrew.

Right lets clear up the "Chinese whispers". The mat is great at replicating searing treble and in some systems this may be too much i.e. system's with excessive gain, a good example being a highout MM cart of lets say 1mv partnered with a phonostage with 40db of gain for example .Totally stupid numbers but hopefully you get the point. I looked at the Marillion track Forgotten Sons & The Ripper by Judas Priest, these are two tracks which have probably more lower E string work than most. The mat replicated the treble energy conveyed of the lower fret work perfectly in my system but your going to get a high searing treble in high-gain phonostage /MM output cartridge rig. So, the intelligent thing to do is either turn the gain down, swap your cart or platter mat. To simply "deadpan" a product because it has the ability to faithfully replicate the high energy treble sitting in the vinyl grooves is silly and a little myopic IMHO (DON'T GET OFFENDED)!!!! I did state in the review "The Lenco does have a high output Shure MM cartridge coupled to the EAR Clone which to some ears can produce an overly energetic treble". In fact I'd even go so far as suggesting that the mat could be used to assess if you have a excessive phonostage gain/ cart output mismatch. It certainly had me questioning my system and I came to the conclusion that this could be the case. Consequently I have swapped over my previous reference platter mat on the 1210 (The Crystal Mat) for the SSS mat and the Crystal Mat now sit's on the Lenco, in fact I'm assessing the effects for a future update in my Lenco L75 blog. The short comings of the Lenco became apparent when using the SSS mat and I'm also now considering a slightly lower MM output to replace my favourite M55E cart. So, to conclude, I'm extremely happy to see all the added benefits of this mat in my 1210 system whilst also being very happy with it highlighting the short comings of the other systems. I'm very thankful for high searing treble!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Good write up Andy. Just wondered if you had tried the Funk Firm Achromat and how that compared?

Your Lenco is striaght from the Brutalist school I think
    Yes I have tried the Achromat, it was then replaced with the Resomat which then get replaced with the Crystal mat. The Achromat is great but can be bettered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'm really pleased to see a product of this kind for sale at this price.

Good write up but yes, "Searing Treble" is a little off putting. Can i ask why you suspect the platter mat would contribute to this? I know you report it coming when the mat was installed but what do you think is the reason for that ? I am a big believer in the merits of a good quality platter mat and do think very highly of the 5mm Tenuto. I noticed a lot better clarity and resolution with it and i am wondering if you think the previous mats you have experimented with maybe dulled the treble and this one simply allowed it to be heard?. Kind of unbalanced the way the system is tuned?

I am only hypothesizing, but i find this sort of thing fascinating.

Fair play for having a go. We need more of this from people!!
    I hope my comments in post #11 clears things up. I think very highly of the Tenuto platter mat, it's sits as the reference mat on my Garrard 301 system, I've tried it on the 1210 and the Lenco, it didn't gel. I do have three radically different platters on the three systems so this could contribute why one mat sounds better than another and highlighting the treble issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    yep "Searing Treble" puts me right off,i cant see how it can be a 'giant killing' mat with those attributes ??
    and all similar posts.

See post #11.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

I took searing to mean it grates, cuts right through and really annoying. Like fingernails on a blackboard ?

Perhaps searing isn't the right word to use in this context of it isn't any of those ?

If instead, it is sharp, clear, concise, exactly as it should be with no edge or glare or harshness then that's a different story. I'm interested then

I'm Grant.

firey maybe
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I think Andy is saying that the mat highlighted a problem that already existed with his Lenco set up. Not that the mat creates 'searing treble' where there was none before.

At least that is how I read it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

I think Andy is saying that the mat highlighted a problem that already existed with his Lenco set up. Not that the mat creates 'searing treble' where there was none before.

That's what I was getting at. I've had a few mats here and I couldn't attribute an inbalance to the mat, only the exposure of an inbalance in the setup.

The Tenuto being the most revealing of any I tried. I'd like a go with this though.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I took searing to mean it grates, cuts right through and really annoying. Like fingernails on a blackboard ?

Perhaps searing isn't the right word to use in this context of it isn't any of those ?

If instead, it is sharp, clear, concise, exactly as it should be with no edge or glare or harshness then that's a different story. I'm interested then
    Point taken with respects to the word "searing", but you weren't sitting in my listening room or heard the effects of the Lenco mismatch caper. The effects were markedly lessened when used in the 1210 system where treble sounded a lot more like how you describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    firey maybe
    Who? Me? Never....

Yes and yes, sorry to confuse the situation. Yes the Lenco had an issue, now hopefully tamed with the Crystal mat. The mat can create high treble energy, hence it's ability to highlight the shortfalls of the Lenco system. Previously I had a trio of mats doing which worked well but highlighted an over damping effect on treble energy. The SSS mat showed the M55E/EAR 834 clone combo had far too much gain. I firmly believe that the SSS mat will work extremely well within a properly matched cart/phonostage gain combo.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm jamie.

what confused me was he stated in the op that 'IT' produces searing treble which we all thought naturally is awful. in a later post he changed it to 'IT' 'reproduces' searing treble. im glad its all been cleared up.......i'll stick with my tenuto mat thanks
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    what confused me was he stated in the op that 'IT' produces searing treble which we all thought naturally is awful. in a later post he changed it to 'IT' 'reproduces' searing treble. im glad its all been cleared up.......i'll stick with my tenuto mat thanks
    The review was written in situ listening to the music. My thoughts being transcribed as the music flowed. I must admit to not really giving two hoots with regards the semantics.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm jamie.

ah i see,that explains it then.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast