+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: REVIEW - A new giant killing platter mat

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Nice post, made me smile, so your saying you like a nice big fat thick one?
    As like most things in life, its all relative to your own perceptions.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    As like most things in life, its all relative to your own perceptions.

I'm Neil.

Looks like a rather poor copy of the Oyaide mat.
    Regards Neil

I'm John.

I was recently offered the chance to use this mat by the producer with a GL75 Bearing produced by the same person.
    For those who may not know, this producer makes replacement bearings for Three Turntables Brands, Lenco, Garrard 401 and Thorens TD 124.
    I have read reviews of his latest offering which is this TT Mat.
    It seems the most positive one I have read up until this one is where Two Mats are used in a stacked configuration, the holes in the mats can be orientated from being perfectly aligned to being offset, this then produces a different attenuation and serves as a tuning method.
    So I am assuming that this experimentation with the hole alignment might aide a user in being able to produce a attenuation that offers a SQ that is correct to their preference.
    Before a stacked mat set up is sought, a user could attempt to attenuate a single mat to a SQ that is correct for their preference, by using a additional mat between Platter and Mat, or Mat and Vinyl, or a combination of both, the selection of material for the additional mat can be endless.
    Here is my 'off the cuff' offering, use a piece of daily tabloid newspaper, cut to the platter shape. This can be Hot Ironed to compress and increase overall surface contact.
    These sheets can be stacked into a lamination, to the point a piece of cardboard might make a more sensible choice.
    As stated, the material choices are endless, and the sought attenuation to produce a sound quality that is correct for a individual, has a very broad range.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Looks like a rather poor copy of the Oyaide mat.
    £250-350 depending on where you shop. Keep it mate, I'd rather spend the extra money saved on some other audiophoolery.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I was recently offered the chance to use this mat by the producer with a GL75 Bearing produced by the same person.
    For those who may not know, this producer makes replacement bearings for Three Turntables Brands, Lenco, Garrard 401 and Thorens TD 124.
    I have read reviews of his latest offering which is this TT Mat.
    It seems the most positive one I have read up until this one is where Two Mats are used in a stacked configuration, the holes in the mats can be orientated from being perfectly aligned to being offset, this then produces a different attenuation and serves as a tuning method.
    So I am assuming that this experimentation with the hole alignment might aide a user in being able to produce a attenuation that offers a SQ that is correct to their preference.
    Before a stacked mat set up is sought, a user could attempt to attenuate a single mat to a SQ that is correct for their preference, by using a additional mat between Platter and Mat, or Mat and Vinyl, or a combination of both, the selection of material for the additional mat can be endless.
    Here is my 'off the cuff' offering, use a piece of daily tabloid newspaper, cut to the platter shape. This can be Hot Ironed to compress and increase overall surface contact.
    These sheets can be stacked into a lamination, to the point a piece of cardboard might make a more sensible choice.
    As stated, the material choices are endless, and the sought attenuation to produce a sound quality that is correct for a individual, has a very broad range.
    My review was written with my Lenco 75 sitting in prototype mode, I'd just finished a heavy dose of modification. My review was based on two heavy stacked platters and then the SSS mat sitting on top. Sien emailed me detailing this "tuning" method, so I'm glad I had no idea as this may have biased what I heard. I simply used the mat and documented in situ what I heard. I have reservations about using too much weight on the bearing, I have replaced the thrust plate in my Joly bearing for something beefier. I think I'm happy with what I heard. I now experimenting with something else which is producing even better sonics and its a product that was sitting on my Tehcnics 1210 http://www.analogueseduction.net/tur...atter-mat.html I'm currently running stacked heavy platters with the crystal mat sitting on top and it surpasses the SSS mat. So, I think you are correct in stating the near infinite possibilities.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm John.

The producer has satisfied himself that the statement made by Oyaide, that the holes in the mat assist in attenuation, is a functioning addition to the mat.
    The holes in the SSS mat are this concept taken further and the hole positioning and diameters are unique to this mat, as a result of experimentation by the producer.
    It would take a outlay of approx £250 - 300 for the Oyaide + £ 75 for the SSS to carry out a A/B trial.
    You could triple stack a SSS for the Oyaide purchase price, and get your money back on any SSS mats that are classed as not required, if this is what a trial proves.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    The producer has satisfied himself that the statement made by Oyaide, that the holes in the mat assist in attenuation, is a functioning addition to the mat.
    The holes in the SSS mat are this concept taken further and the hole positioning and diameters are unique to this mat, as a result of experimentation by the producer.
    It would take a outlay of approx £250 - 300 for the Oyaide + £ 75 for the SSS to carry out a A/B trial.
    You could triple stack a SSS for the Oyaide purchase price, and get your money back on any SSS mats that are classed as not required, if this is what a trial proves.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Far too much experimentation. I'd be driven insane swapping mats let alone trying to describe and assess the nuances of each mat, let alone combination.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Mark.

Contact info for the maker of this SPH SSS mat to purchase one please?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by tdlt02 View Post
    Contact info for the maker of this SPH SSS mat to purchase one please?
    Look on the Lenco Heaven website.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast