+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1980s ADC DD Turntable in exchange for postage and donation to Special Effect

I'm Jon.

Default 1980s ADC DD Turntable in exchange for postage and donation to Special Effect

ADC semi-automatic 1600 DD complete with arm and cartridge but no lid.

Purchased by me in the mistaken belief, as it turned out, that I would be able to scavenge the tonearm base for use with an ADC LMF-2.

Condition is good and the turntable spins up as expected. Strobe and speed adjust control works as it should. Movement of the arm from its rest actuates the motor and switches it off as it move into the run-off area.

The fitted arm bears a striking similarity to the ADC ALT-1 and comes with a fitted ADC QLM36 cartridge and stylus (not tested by me or checked visually for signs of wear and, realistically, likely to need replacement). The arm moves freely and smoothly in both the horizontal and vertical direction and exhibit no signs of play. The original arm cable is present and intact and connects to the internal tonearm wires via a tag-board in base of the unit. The quality of the cable and terminating RCA phono plugs is mediocre and it could easily be replaced to, I'm sure, good effect.

It is my understanding that the motor and control electronics, and possibly the mechanism too, were sourced from Panasonic. Removing the base revealed all PCBs and components to be in , given the units vintage, in remarkable conditions with non of the usual signs of ageing, consistent with the turntable having been subjected to only modest use and careful storage in its lifetime. All the gears, cogs and levers are intact, lightly lubed (none of that dark dessicated and sticky residue) and freely moving.

By far the least satisfactory element of the turntables design is the plinth, which is light, resonant and made of plastic.

Obviously, and subject to the caveats mentioned above, the turntable could be used 'as is'. IMHO, however, it would make the basis of a good project in which the original plinth were discarded and replaced with one of more solid construction and visual appeal. From I saw when inspecting the underside of the plinth, the motor, and semi-automatic mechanism all form part of what is effectively a sprung sub-chassis and could be removed with out difficulty, as could the associated electronics and switches. Yet another option would be to salvage the arm and ditch the remainder of the TT.

As is evident from the photographs, the unit has already been prepared for shipment and hence the motor spindle does not project through the platter, which has simply been placed on a supporting polystyrene block for effect.

Special Effect is a registered charity that helps those with disabilities to join and participate in the world of video games. More info here: https://www.specialeffect.org.uk

Based on what I paid for the unit to be delivered, a prospective purchaser (I will pack the unit but not arrange for its delivery) should be able to arrange shipment for around £10.00. Alternatively, it can be collected 'in-person' between Jncs 14 and 17 of the M4 corridor by prior arrangement.

I understand that sale by auction is not permitted on the forum, but urge any potential buyer to offer a generous, albeit comparatively modest, donation to an unusual and deserving cause.

BW

Jon

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm Dee.

Hi Jon..... I can’t see the images...is it my end that’s the problem or is anybody else having the same issue?.....Dee

I'm gone.

No images for me, either. Just an empty IMG surround.

I'm Geoff.

Images working OK here.

I'm Jon.

Hmm - not sure what's gone wrong - I can see them when I open the thread. I uploaded them to my album and copied the links from there.
    Last edited by prsjnb; 14-10-2018 at 10:26.

I'm Grant.

images showing for me too.. good ones at that. very pretty
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    No images for me, either. Just an empty IMG surround.
    I've checked again and can't see what could be the cause of them being visible to some but not others

I've now made the album I uploaded them to 'public', so they should now be visible to all via my profile.

Jon

I'm Grant.

They wont show on the likes of tapatalk as they are hosted internally via aos, but otherwise should show
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dee.

I can see clearly now...not sure what happened in the interim but it’s all good now...nice little deck by the way...Dee
    System... THORENS TD160 Super in Purpose built plinth.

SME 3009 S2 improved ,Van Den Hul hybrid interconnect and rewired by J7 at Audio Origami with Vdh silver wire.

ARKLESS 640P Phono amp..Currently using Denon Dl103
    But have Denon dl110 HoMc cartridge....Shure v15 111. as reserves

YAMAHA Cr2020 receiver overhauled and upgraded by Select 45rpm

Denon dvd 3910(transport) Monarchy Audio M22C Dac..
    Monarchy Audio Dip Classic

Tannoy Cheviot speakers ( cones and surround replaced by Lockwood)

TEAC X1000R r2r

I'm Jon.

[QUOTE=prsjnb]
    Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner
    Hello Jon,

I would be interested in this please. Could collect easily as I live in Devizes.

Regards

Nigel
    I have responded to your personal message, Nigel.

Jon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast