+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Bluesound users?

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Just to clarify - what would I have to do to get this pointing out and and automatically replicating to cloud storge?
    You can't do this automatically from the Bluesound app. However, the Vault does appear as a drive on your network, so presumably you could use some sort of back up software and designate your Cloud drive as the destination drive?

I don't do this, as it would take ages to upload that amount of data over the 'net, even with my fast fibre connection. I use a HDD attached to the Vault and use the App to back up after a few new albums are ripped. I then back up that HDD sporadically to a further drive, which I keep in a fire safe. To be frank, I don't really rip many albums these days as I use Tidal quite extensively. I've also returned to CDs, as ultimately they sound better via a modified CXC in to my Audionet, than the same track via Tidal and its optical out to the (same DAC in the ) Audionet. Plus I do like using the physical media and I have well over 2000 CDs to keep me going, plus more arriving on a regular basis!
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    You can't do this automatically from the Bluesound app. However, the Vault does appear as a drive on your network, so presumably you could use some sort of back up software and designate your Cloud drive as the destination drive?

I don't do this, as it would take ages to upload that amount of data over the 'net, even with my fast fibre connection. I use a HDD attached to the Vault and use the App to back up after a few new albums are ripped. I then back up that HDD sporadically to a further drive, which I keep in a fire safe. To be frank, I don't really rip many albums these days as I use Tidal quite extensively. I've also returned to CDs, as ultimately they sound better via a modified CXC in to my Audionet, than the same track via Tidal and its optical out to the (same DAC in the ) Audionet. Plus I do like using the physical media and I have well over 2000 CDs to keep me going, plus more arriving on a regular basis!
    Main upload is only one-time, then incremental changes wouldn't take much bandwidth.

Ideally I'm waiting for a solution that incorporates the necessary tools to sync with online storage. I have always found local backup hard drives a faff. My work files are all automatically sync'd and I also sync important personal files to iCloud, that's not the right solution for half a gig or more of media files though.

I have about 4000 LPs, 1500+ CDs and a modest amount of ripped content (currently rather less than 500 GB). I can't see myself ripping the CDs in any systematic way. The AN CDT2/II is an excellent transport.

I use spotify to identify vinyl (mainly s/h) to track down, occasionally CDs if it's newer stuff. Generally speaking if it gets more than half a dozen listens I would buy the physical media.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 14-10-2018 at 13:07.

I'm inactive.

Well .... been giving it a lot of thought and spent some time deliberating the options (including the reduced price offerings) and looking into the various price plans for streaming services and in the end have decided not to bother - for the moment at least. At some point I need to have a listen to a few of the recommended streamers and the various streams they facilitate 'in the flesh' to decide whether there is any actual upgrade involved or simply a different (and pricier) method of achieving the same result as what I currently have.

In the meantime I nipped onto eBay and picked up a trio of CDs I've been meaning to buy for while - for a total outlay of £7 ... I will probably listen to them at full CD resolution, via a CD player

Many thanks to those who offered advice and help based on their own experiences - really very much appreciated

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Well .... been giving it a lot of thought and spent some time deliberating the options (including the reduced price offerings) and looking into the various price plans for streaming services and in the end have decided not to bother - for the moment at least. At some point I need to have a listen to a few of the recommended streamers and the various streams they facilitate 'in the flesh' to decide whether there is any actual upgrade involved or simply a different (and pricier) method of achieving the same result as what I currently have.

In the meantime I nipped onto eBay and picked up a trio of CDs I've been meaning to buy for while - for a total outlay of £7 ... I will probably listen to them at full CD resolution, via a CD player

Many thanks to those who offered advice and help based on their own experiences - really very much appreciated
    Mike try to pick up a Denon DNP 720-AE, they usually go for about £50 now SH, I bought one new about four years ago for £200 and they are excellent value for money, bit of a faff to set up if I'm being honest but they are particularly good with Stan's SEG.

I use it to stream internet radio and it has decent FM/AM tuners too but it will give you a flavour of how good streaming can be, it does airplay too BTW so you can airplay anything on your phone or laptop to it if you have an iPhone/ MacBook pro etc (BBC radio Iplayer etc or music on your phone) but there's no subscription services.

Tony

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123