+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Bluesound users?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Not sure that the Cloud is practical for very large libraries of 4tb or thereabouts. Cost is an issue too!

A drive left at a mate's house is offsite too!

Geoff
    Well I'd be looking at 1TB which is feasible ... I just don't like the faff factor of having to plug stuff. Background replication of the local drive has to be the way to go.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Well I'd be looking at 1TB which is feasible ... I just don't like the faff factor of having to plug stuff. Background replication of the local drive has to be the way to go.
    I find this app invaluable in keeping backups synchronised. I run it every few months to add files I have ripped in the interim.

https://freefilesync.org/

Geoff

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I find this app invaluable in keeping backups synchronised. I run it every few months to add files I have ripped in the interim.

https://freefilesync.org/

Geoff
    I use Apple's Time Machine to do a weekly back up to a local 1TB drive attached to my router, which is the same thing really. What I'm interested in is the facility to back up one of these black boxes to off-site, probably cloud-based storage so I don't need to worry about any issues of local broken (or stolen) drives.

I'm Geoff.

I use Apple's Time Machine to do a weekly back up to a local 1TB drive attached to my router, which is the same thing really. What I'm interested in is the facility to back up one of these black boxes to off-site, probably cloud-based storage so I don't need to worry about any issues of local broken (or stolen) drives.
    There are several technical solutions to what you are considering, not least Google Play. However, they are quite pricey for the amount of storage you are looking for. Typically around 100 quid or more per year. This is one option that I have heard positive things about. https://mega.nz/

Geoff

montesquieu Guest

Thanks. Looks good but the trick would be in the backup interface managing the synch. Need to look into that.

I'm inactive.

There is a page from Bluesound detailing how to perform a backup ... worth noting that their OS uses the Linux ext4 format for data storage which could present problems using a cloud based solution:

https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en...Music-Library-

This is possibly a deal breaker for me as, from what I can gather, ext4 is unreadable on Mac or Windows.
    (although I understand the Vault 2 can be used as a NAS and music files/folders can be transferred this way)

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post

This is possibly a deal breaker for me as, from what I can gather, ext4 is unreadable on Mac or Windows.
    (although I understand the Vault 2 can be used as a NAS and music files/folders can be transferred this way)
    Don't get hung up on that! I've been using a Bluesound Vault for many years. My comments:

Once attached to your network (ethernet best), then drive can be seen on your network by Windows and Mac and files can be transferred easily to and from the Vault (if you transfer music files, you have to re-index the Vault before being able to play them back; this is easy to do in the app.

The app is very good. One of, if not the, best. Don't underestimate this. A good app that connects easily and consistently is an important part of using this type of product (I've used many)

Sound quality via the analogue outputs is pretty good. I use the optical digital out to my Audionet though. Side note here: the same Tidal track played back via the Audionet built in network card sounds better than than via the optical out from the Vault. Not all streamers are quite equal, but the Vault is certainly more than good enough. Plus, the Audionet is a very expensive amp.DAC/streamer.

If you use Tidal then integration is excellent. It will also allow you a full unfold MQA through the analogue outputs and partial unfold via the digital outputs, if this has value to you.

It will not act as a UpNP server. So, you always have to access the Vault and output a signal from it, either analogue or digital.

USB digital out is not available; coax and optical only.

The Vault really is a very easy to operate, nicely put together bit of kit. The app and firmware are constantly being updated and improved. You really don't need to know anything about networking or any techie stuff at all. For most, it's simply a matter of connecting to your network, installing the app on your iPad (or whatever), providing Tidal, etc credentials (if used), then you can start ripping and importing.

The app will allow you to back up to an external HDD. (which you could then copy to another drive, for off site storage, if required)

SSSAV have deals on ex display Vault 2s, with full warranty, at £750.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post

Many thanks for the copious advice Simon - much appreciated
    The lack of USB out is not a big deal for me - well countered by the optical input which I can put to good use.

I am presuming by 'SSSAV' you mean these guys?
    http://www.simplysoundandvision.co.u.../11070_0c.html

I think I will indeed keep an eye out for discounted or used Vault 2 coming up over the next few weeks - £750 would be quite a bargain

I'm Matt.

SSAV is usually “Sevenoaks sound and vision”. They are a major Bluesound dealer.
    Don’t hang around for too long, as at their price, they won’t be on the shelves for long. I’d snap up a black one ASAP if I were you.
    The white finish on them has a bit of a strange texture to it & ive seen one or two of them looking a bit grubby after a while.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    Don't get hung up on that! I've been using a Bluesound Vault for many years. My comments:

Once attached to your network (ethernet best), then drive can be seen on your network by Windows and Mac and files can be transferred easily to and from the Vault (if you transfer music files, you have to re-index the Vault before being able to play them back; this is easy to do in the app.

The app is very good. One of, if not the, best. Don't underestimate this. A good app that connects easily and consistently is an important part of using this type of product (I've used many)

Sound quality via the analogue outputs is pretty good. I use the optical digital out to my Audionet though. Side note here: the same Tidal track played back via the Audionet built in network card sounds better than than via the optical out from the Vault. Not all streamers are quite equal, but the Vault is certainly more than good enough. Plus, the Audionet is a very expensive amp.DAC/streamer.

If you use Tidal then integration is excellent. It will also allow you a full unfold MQA through the analogue outputs and partial unfold via the digital outputs, if this has value to you.

It will not act as a UpNP server. So, you always have to access the Vault and output a signal from it, either analogue or digital.

USB digital out is not available; coax and optical only.

The Vault really is a very easy to operate, nicely put together bit of kit. The app and firmware are constantly being updated and improved. You really don't need to know anything about networking or any techie stuff at all. For most, it's simply a matter of connecting to your network, installing the app on your iPad (or whatever), providing Tidal, etc credentials (if used), then you can start ripping and importing.

The app will allow you to back up to an external HDD. (which you could then copy to another drive, for off site storage, if required)

Just to clarify - what would I have to do to get this pointing out and and automatically replicating to cloud storge?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast