+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burson Bang - Power Amplifier Review

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    lol.

So a pair of car stereo chip amps in a small box, quality audio right there.
    Lets be fair here, the Burson does very well. It provides a good sound and achieves a very good level of resolution. I don't care too much about what construction method was used. A bit like the super cheap Chinese amp Walpurgis bought for about £30 all in.

The sound quality is very good for the money, I'm not saying it's on a par with your amps or my own Krell but neither of those cost £380 did they!!!

I'm Rob.

This is a Gainclone with LM3886 chips. The amp is limited by limiting the PS to 12v. The LM3886 is able to take a max of 94v (split rail) I have made several Gainclones using around 35v (70vdc) and they sound very good. It would appear that the Burson uses a single rail supply which I have never done and so can't say how it would compare.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    The amp is limited by limiting the PS to 12v.
    Ah but it's not. Burson have taken the unusual approach of using smps inside the box to give higher supply voltages.

I'm Rob.

Ooh....I missed that, mind you the pics are a bit small and I was looking for info about the main chips,
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

Bigman80 Guest

The 'Bang'

Bigman80 Guest

Update:

After I posted the review, Charles got in touch and asked if I'd be prepared to give the "Bang" another shot with some better Opamp-age.

I agreed and a few days later the Burson V6 Classic turned up.

I've used Charles opamps before and I'm well aware of how good they are. That was the V5.

On to the listening experience.....

I'm not going to "rip up" my previous experience of the amp, instead I am just going to try and articulate what changed.

Most importantly, the LF raised its game by a considerable margin. Enough of a margin to leave the Krell languishing in the reserves for a week or so.

Let me be clear, the Burson wasn't now a "Krell killer" it's just that what had niggled me before, was now gone. The bass was tighter, more detailed and overall felt like it had some grip. I quite happily listened without feeling that I needed to do anything else.

Further tests revealed the Bang to be further improved in every regard. Honestly, I'm left wondering why Charles is bothering to offer it in any other guise!

What I really like now is the transparency is at a level I can recommend. It's a great sounding little amp and one I really enjoy.

I use the Bang fairly often, basically because it's very good and far less strenuous on Scottish powers monthly invoice lol

I like it so much, I might build a second system around it.

Charles, stop selling bit with lesser Opamps!!!

I'm Robert.

Just plugged mine in with v5 opamp. Running it with a Jolida Black Ice revved up dac as a digital pre. Astounded by the Bang amp!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Open Door View Post
    Just plugged mine in with v5 opamp. Running it with a Jolida Black Ice revved up dac as a digital pre. Astounded by the Bang amp!
    Its good with the Burson Opamps in. I have the V6 in mine and it provides a great sound in my second system. I'm very pleased with its performance now.

I'm Martin.

It's not a good name for an amp I don't think. He should change that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's not a good name for an amp I don't think. He should change that.
    Lol, yes I agree.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12