So then, how are the new Maggies?

Geoff

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    So then, how are the new Maggies?

Geoff
    Lovely, just lovely...

I suspect they might need a bit of running in though

Even though the .7's are physically smaller than the MG1's the actual panel is larger and the thing I do notice is the bass as there's so much more of it with the .7's... which surprised me

The .7's seem better 'rounded' sound wise to the MG1's, a better top to bottom sound if that makes sense
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Lovely, just lovely...

I suspect they might need a bit of running in though

Even though the .7's are physically smaller than the MG1's the actual panel is larger and the thing I do notice is the bass as there's so much more of it with the .7's... which surprised me

The .7's seem better 'rounded' sound wise to the MG1's, a better top to bottom sound if that makes sense
    Magnepan have evolved their products over decades so it should not really be a surprise. The specs for the .7s show a better frequency response at both ends of the spectrum.

I think you will find the sound to improve over the next month.

If you need some pointers on how to get the best out of the Maggies, then PM me and I can help with some useful improvements.

Geoff

Magnepan have evolved their products over decades so it should not really be a surprise. The specs for the .7s show a better frequency response at both ends of the spectrum.

I think you will find the sound to improve over the next month.

If you need some pointers on how to get the best out of the Maggies, then PM me and I can help with some useful improvements.

Geoff
    Thanks Geoff... yes I did look at the specs after my thoughts about the sound of the .7's which would explain why they sound better top-to-bottom (as I call it!)

Thanks for the offer of "pointers" but will give it a while as they are before I change too much

Amazing sound the .7 has, love them...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Thanks Geoff... yes I did look at the specs after my thoughts about the sound of the .7's which would explain why they sound better top-to-bottom (as I call it!)

Thanks for the offer of "pointers" but will give it a while as they are before I change too much

Amazing sound the .7 has, love them...
    The biggest improvements are about the positioning and mounitng of the stands. Be ready with some double sided tape and a trip to Argos!

Geoff

The biggest improvements are about the positioning and mounitng of the stands. Be ready with some double sided tape and a trip to Argos!

Geoff
    I'm a dab hand with double sided tape

Now I'm intrigued.....
    Bev

I'm Mauro.

I had a pair of 1.6 that was fabulous.

Unfortunately one of the speakers broke, so I sold the other one as spare.

I drove them with excellent results with an YBA Passion 100 integrated amplifier (excellent), then a pair of Mark Levinson 28+29 (no good results), afterwards a Naim SuperNait (good but a bit too mechanical, the YBA was better) and finally I tried a valve system (JC Verdier Control B + Tube power supply + L'Amplificateur - 4x6550), that was delicious in terms of musicality.

The most dynamic and generally pleasant was the YBA.
    why is nothing ever simple?

Quote Originally Posted by gerlando View Post
    I had a pair of 1.6 that was fabulous.

Unfortunately one of the speakers broke, so I sold the other one as spare.

I drove them with excellent results with an YBA Passion 100 integrated amplifier (excellent), then a pair of Mark Levinson 28+29 (no good results), afterwards a Naim SuperNait (good but a bit too mechanical, the YBA was better) and finally I tried a valve system (JC Verdier Control B + Tube power supply + L'Amplificateur - 4x6550), that was delicious in terms of musicality.

The most dynamic and generally pleasant was the YBA.
    Sorry your 1.6 broke Mauro. I have heard that after some years Maggies can break down but my MG1's are still working just fine and they must be 30 years old

The .7 is a little bit like the MG1's sound wise but just a lot more so if that makes sense. I know they are supposed to need lots of power but the Supernait 2 is performing pretty well at the moment. However I might try a mega power amp with the Maggies at some point in the future but I am in no rush as the Naim seems quite happy

Thanks for the info on amps that you used
    Bev

I'm Mauro.

Thanks for the info on amps that you used [/QUOTE]

You're welcome....
    why is nothing ever simple?

I normally use cd's that I know well to test out anything different in the system but with the .7's I'm listening to brand new cd's that I've never heard before
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast