+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Maggies

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi
    Yes i listened to both but still preferred the .7s
    Only ever listened to them in a show room which is less than ideal but i still liked what i heard.
    Not too long till I've saved enough to get them
    It's strange isn't it as you expect the more expensive, larger and heavier ones to sound better but to me they just didn't

I would highly recommend Paul & Wendy at HiFi Lounge to purchase the Maggies from. I know it's a bit of a journey, as it was from me here in Portsmouth, but probably worth it in the long run.. Lovely people to deal with
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Steve.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Im probably an hour closer
    Just wondering, did you get any discount???

Steve.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm gone.

I've only heard the 1.7, not the .7, and I was seriously impressed.
    That was at a show and while I can't recall the amp I do remember thinking that it looked like it weighed half a ton!

I shall have to get a listen to some .7 sometime.

I'm Timothy.

Congrats Nina, enjoy! During my years with Maggie’s, I too liked the smaller paneled MMG utilizing a pair of REL subs than the larger panels. Of course getting into the bigger panels with true ribbon tweeters was another thing altogether!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Clive.

Of no use to me as there is no place for She Who Must Be Obeyed to put her pot plant.

Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy them for many years.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Justin.

1.7 are great really for the dosh. Surprised.

Not heard the 0.7 though.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I've only heard the 1.7, not the .7, and I was seriously impressed.
    That was at a show and while I can't recall the amp I do remember thinking that it looked like it weighed half a ton!

I shall have to get a listen to some .7 sometime.
    The 1.7 is a great speaker but suffers from two problems. The huge UK mark up over US prices; and, its need for a brute of an amplifier which increases the total cost of ownership The .7 is two thirds the price of the 1.7 and delivers most of the performance of the larger model. However, the 1.7 often suffers in a direct comparison with the .7 unless the amplification is up to the job. In a direct A-B comparison the 1.7 can sound harsh and grainy because of clipping by an underpowered amp. I have the 1.7s but if I was buying again I would probably choose the .7s, not least because I would not have to spend so much on a capable amp. I auditioned many quality amps for my 1.7s and found them unsuited to the task. This included amps by Exposure, Parasound, Audiolab, QUAD etc. All proved inadequate to the task.

Geoff

I'm Chris.

I owned a pair of .7 Maggies and was very happy. They do like plenty of watts but my amp just about drove them. I did audition the 1.7s and I loved them but didn't have the amp to drive them. Sadly, my wife bought a kitten who loved the Maggies too and climbed them at every possible opportunity. I sold them a short time later (I did predict the cat would force me to sell them).
    The story doesn't end too badly however; I am currently sitting next to said kitten( now 2 years old) and listening to a pair of Tannoy Cheviots fettled by RFC.
    I would have Maggies tomorrow if my circumstances changed and I would love to try the 1.7's with some brutish amps. The .7 is a spectacular speaker for the money.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I have the 1.7s but if I was buying again I would probably choose the .7s, not least because I would not have to spend so much on a capable amp
    Geoff
    That's very interesting Geoff and I'm surprised to hear that to be honest

Even with the UK mark up I still think the .7 is a bit of a bargain for the quality of sound and I have a hunch that you would have to spend and awful lot more to better them and I've had tens of speakers over the years which come nowhere near them

My new Maggies arrived today but I am not going to get a chance to set them up probably until tomorrow evening sometime and I can't wait
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    That's very interesting Geoff and I'm surprised to hear that to be honest

Even with the UK mark up I still think the .7 is a bit of a bargain for the quality of sound and I have a hunch that you would have to spend and awful lot more to better them and I've had tens of speakers over the years which come nowhere near them

My new Maggies arrived today but I am not going to get a chance to set them up probably until tomorrow evening sometime and I can't wait
    Current US price for .7s is GBP 1030. UK price is double that. Adding VAT to US price would add 200 quid to the US price. I did consider bringing back a pair of the crazily priced ($599) MMGi's as hold luggage and just paying the duty on arrival.

Even with this mark up, they are still a bargain for their performance.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast