+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Maggies

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default My New Maggies

I spent a few enjoyable hours with Paul & Wendy at Hifi Lounge on Tuesday listening to the .7 and 1.7 Maggies

I went to purchase the 1.7’s but asked Paul if I could start with the .7’s so that when we swapped to the 1.7’s I would be bowled over by them

Paul had the .7 already set up and playing when I arrived and I absolutely loved their sound, I was quite amazed by them and was immediately addicted

If the .7’s were anything to go by I thought I’m in for a real treat when we swap to the 1.7’s

However, I am so surprised by this, I actually preferred the sound of the .7’s

My head kept saying the 1.7’s must be better as they are larger, heavier and more expensive, so I tried very hard to like them but I just couldn't gel with them

If I had listened to my head I would have walked out with the 1.7’s which is what I went to purchase

So I analysed what my head was telling me. Then I thought if I purchased the 1.7’s would I think I’d made a mistake and the answer was ‘yes’ and I would always have the feeling that I would forever miss the coherent, engaging and utterly addictive sound the .7’s have

We swapped speakers a few more times just to make sure and this time listened to my heart instead and wholeheartedly decided the .7’s sounded ‘special’ to me. Paul prefers the .7’s so I’m not alone

The 1.7 is supposed to have more bass than the .7 but I didn’t experience any lack of bass on the .7’s

So after a lot of head and heart searching, with the complete sea change I was having, I just had to have the .7’s

As the .7’s are smallish, for Maggies, they are probably more suited to the available space I have for them. I guess most people would still call them huge and ugly but I think they are quite cute

As Paul does not hold stock of Maggies they are being delivered to me tomorrow

I have to say Paul & Wendy run a lovely place with absolutely no pressure selling and the time to spend with you as well as leaving you to listen by yourself. I would recommend anyone to pay them a visit, the coffee is nice to
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I spent a few enjoyable hours with Paul & Wendy at Hifi Lounge on Tuesday listening to the .7 and 1.7 Maggies

I went to purchase the 1.7’s but asked Paul if I could start with the .7’s so that when we swapped to the 1.7’s I would be bowled over by them

Paul had the .7 already set up and playing when I arrived and I absolutely loved their sound, I was quite amazed by them and was immediately addicted

If the .7’s were anything to go by I thought I’m in for a real treat when we swap to the 1.7’s

However, I am so surprised by this, I actually preferred the sound of the .7’s

My head kept saying the 1.7’s must be better as they are larger, heavier and more expensive, so I tried very hard to like them but I just couldn't gel with them

If I had listened to my head I would have walked out with the 1.7’s which is what I went to purchase

So I analysed what my head was telling me. Then I thought if I purchased the 1.7’s would I think I’d made a mistake and the answer was ‘yes’ and I would always have the feeling that I would forever miss the coherent, engaging and utterly addictive sound the .7’s have

We swapped speakers a few more times just to make sure and this time listened to my heart instead and wholeheartedly decided the .7’s sounded ‘special’ to me. Paul prefers the .7’s so I’m not alone

The 1.7 is supposed to have more bass than the .7 but I didn’t experience any lack of bass on the .7’s

So after a lot of head and heart searching, with the complete sea change I was having, I just had to have the .7’s

As the .7’s are smallish, for Maggies, they are probably more suited to the available space I have for them. I guess most people would still call them huge and ugly but I think they are quite cute

As Paul does not hold stock of Maggies they are being delivered to me tomorrow

I have to say Paul & Wendy run a lovely place with absolutely no pressure selling and the time to spend with you as well as leaving you to listen by yourself. I would recommend anyone to pay them a visit, the coffee is nice to
    There is no escape from the cult!

I thought the .7s might be more suited to your needs. Let me know if you need any pointers on setting them up. There are a few tricks to improving stability without having to spend silly money on bespoke stands.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    There is no escape from the cult!

I thought the .7s might be more suited to your needs. Let me know if you need any pointers on setting them up. There are a few tricks to improving stability without having to spend silly money on bespoke stands.

Geoff
    Absolutely Geoff

Can I ask why you thought the .7's might be more suited to me ?

I can't wait to get the Maggies, like a kid with a new toy I am
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Gary.

Um sorry for my ignorance, I'm new here, but what is a Maggie?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Ooops sorry Gary but it's short for Magneplanar/Magnepan speakers
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Magnaplanar. Isodynamic planar (dipole) speakers.

I'm Steve.

Very nice (and all too rare) to prefer the cheaper option! And respect for not just assuming the more expensive ones must be better. No doubt you're already thinking about what to buy with the money saved!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Absolutely Geoff

Can I ask why you thought the .7's might be more suited to me ?

I can't wait to get the Maggies, like a kid with a new toy I am
    Two reasons.

The .7s are easier to drive than the 1.7s. As I have said (ad nauseum) they need a very powerful amp to sound good. If not driven properly they can sound harsh and grainy. Even some very powerful high current amps don't work well with Maggies. I found that the .7s were a bit more forgiving amp wise and were less likely to cause the clipping that makes the 1.7s sound poor. Out of interest, what amp was used for the demo?

Space. You mentioned that your room was not that large. The 1.7's need much more space around them to perform optimally. It is not just rear walls and side walls that have to be considered, but also ceilings. The bigger Maggies also benefit from higher ceilings.

Don't be too disappointed if the new speakers sound very harsh out of the box. I have found they need a couple of weeks of intensive use to "loosen" up the ribbons.

Geoff

I'm Gary.

Ooops sorry Gary but it's short for Magneplanar/Magnepan speakers
    Thank you

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Magnaplanar. Isodynamic planar (dipole) speakers.

Mrs Gaz would never allow those in the house unless she could hang curtains from them (yes that would include screwing curtain poles into the wood)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast