+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Damp or To Brace that is Question

I'm Paul.

Default To Damp or To Brace that is Question

Well it's not just the question but it's a start!

My Klipsch are fairly big ugly rectangular black boxes and from what I've read they have very little of either of the things mentioned in the title. Just to confirm this I'll be unscrewing one of the woofers tonight to see exactly what lies beneath.

So if it's as I expect (not much at all apart from a gaping void) I'm thinking of adding some minimal bracing and damping material. My mind tells me that front to back bracing must be the place to start, possibly above and below the woofer but should I use side to side bracing in conjuction and all glued together? I don't think top to bottom is possible with only the small woofer hole available for access.

What seems to be more important to some is the damping and I'd love to hear what people have found to be the best material to use as an internal lining and also a filler.

I'll report back tonight with exactly what is inside the cabs now but I'm pretty sure they are factory standard.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Don't do anything that you can't reverse.
    And take pics of things before you start, so at least you'll have a photographic reference for putting things back in the right place if you make a horlicks of things, and you don't like the way they sound after you've improved them
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Paul.

Chris is sounds like you've had a bad experience with this, I don't like the sound of that I'm mindful of the old adage what you think you are doing to improve things doesn't always end up that way.

If I can get the braces to a length where they just wedge in nicley I shouldn't have to use glue at all so that would be my much preferred way of doing it.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Steve.

Silicone of the type used in bathrooms or for sealing upvc windows would be sticky enough for the braces, but if you wanted to remove they will unstick easily enough. But you would need to leave for a day to stick. So only permanent if you want it to be.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Neil.

You could glue some steel plates inside i.e mass damping. A popular technique with Royd speakers and some DIYers on a forum that cannot be named. :P
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Paul.

Sealant along the contact edges of the braces is a good idea, I would've used PVA glue and then there would've been no going back.

Not come across steel plate damping, I'll look into that.

Has anyone played around with different damping materials - fibreglass insulation, accoustic tiles...etc?
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Steve.

Foam would probably be a good, unmessy choice. I mean spongy foam, not the expanding stuff that goes everywhere.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Foam would probably be a good, unmessy choice. I mean spongy foam, not the expanding stuff that goes everywhere.
    I like the sound of cut up egg crate memory foam bed topper. Could do both speakers with the one sheet then.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Amptastic Mini-1

I'm Timothy.

I assume maybe you have checked various forums etc. to see what others may have done with theirs, and to what effect? Check out Audiokarma forum, they have a Kilipsch corner sub forum there, you might ask some questions there before you delve into it? Then again, sometimes it is more fun to experiment yourself and hear for yourself what various things come about. The main thing is have fun with it!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Chris is sounds like you've had a bad experience with this, I don't like the sound of that I'm mindful of the old adage what you think you are doing to improve things doesn't always end up that way.

If I can get the braces to a length where they just wedge in nicley I shouldn't have to use glue at all so that would be my much preferred way of doing it.
    I have no experience of what you're trying to do.
    I do however find myself in situations where I could spend an age taking copious notes of something I need to disconnect or dismantle, and a set of photos saves all the tedious note taking.
    It makes putting stuff back the way it was a lot more straightforward if the patient doesn't get any better.

I would think that Klipsch have considered enclosure flexing when they came up with the design.
    Bracing it might not be a positive thing to do.
    As far as damping and materials are concerned, the quantity, and where it is placed, is usually arrived at by experimentation and listening to the result.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast