+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you last visit a HiFi dealer ?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post

But longer term if nothng new is bought will the second hand market dry up
    No is the simple answer. For example Jensen Motors ceased trading in 1976 but there is still a second hand market in Jensens.

The second hand market only eventually dries up for items with a finite life that are no longer made. I think for hi-fi the only thing that would qualify would be styli and lasers for cd players.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Clive.

I have a good relationship with Paul & Wendy at HiFi Lounge in Biggleswade, having purchased my Bryston Pre/Power and Chord Qutest a few months ago. Also Paul at Moorgate Acoustics’s in Sheffield who supplied my Aries G1 and David at MCRU in Huddersfield who loaned me a PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter which I’ve just ordered and am awaiting delivery.
    A lot of driving around the country but a good relationship is important to me.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Grant.

last one i was in was in Falkirk. Forgot the name. They were not especially helpful tbh. certainly wouldnt buy anything from them due to it.

edit...hifi corner..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

I have bought stuff from dealers in the last few years but not so much now. The last thing was my Audionote Otto from Audio Counsel is Saddleworth about a year ago. Before that a Chord cable from Hifi Stereo in Manchester. Oh and a Dali Bluetooth speaker and a pair of B&W PXs from Superfi in Stockport.

As others have said, Audio T staff are very friendly and the Manchester branch is no exception. Can't say the same about Richer Sounds branches though, they can be quite dismissive and rude.

I do buy more second hand stuff these days and I wonder how hifi shops survive in the internet age.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Robin.

Been to the Hi-Fi lounge so often the car knows it’s own way. Support your dealers.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Kevin.

Last time I went was back when I lived in the U.K.
    I have made a few purchases on the internet through dealers since, but the local dealer does not have much I fancy.
    They would probably also turn their noses up at my SL1200 if I turned up with it for a demo of some equipment.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    I have bought stuff from dealers in the last few years but not so much now. The last thing was my Audionote Otto from Audio Counsel is Saddleworth about a year ago. Before that a Chord cable from Hifi Stereo in Manchester. Oh and a Dali Bluetooth speaker and a pair of B&W PXs from Superfi in Stockport.

As others have said, Audio T staff are very friendly and the Manchester branch is no exception. Can't say the same about Richer Sounds branches though, they can be quite dismissive and rude.

I do buy more second hand stuff these days and I wonder how hifi shops survive in the internet age.

Not my experience with Richer Sounds in Preston - over the last few years I have bought several small value items (AKG 'phones, Bluetooth speaker, Wharfedale Diamonds, Sony AV amp) and they always had plenty of patience and made me feel valued.

Last big purchase was my Zu Omen Defs from Audio Counsel, and although I'm happy with them, I know that when (if) I sell them on, what I will get for them won't even cover the extra £1800 I paid for the 'special' finish. So second hand every time from now on.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I have a good relationship with Paul & Wendy at HiFi Lounge in Biggleswade, having purchased my Bryston Pre/Power and Chord Qutest a few months ago
    I visited Paul & Wendy at HiFi Lounge on Tuesday to listen to the Maggies and they are running a lovely place. I would highly recommend them. Easy to deal with and definitely no pressure selling involved
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Not my experience with Richer Sounds in Preston - over the last few years I have bought several small value items (AKG 'phones, Bluetooth speaker, Wharfedale Diamonds, Sony AV amp) and they always had plenty of patience and made me feel valued.

Last big purchase was my Zu Omen Defs from Audio Counsel, and although I'm happy with them, I know that when (if) I sell them on, what I will get for them won't even cover the extra £1800 I paid for the 'special' finish. So second hand every time from now on.
    That's fair enough. I remember Richer Sounds used to be like that about 20 years back but whenever I have been in any branch in the last few years they have always seemed a bit arrogant.

Those Zu Omen Defs must be a bit special. Wouldn't mind having a listen to a pair.

I'm Steve.

Mrs. Pony would only allow the Zu's through the door if I got them in piano gloss black. For my ears they do more things right than wrong, but honestly, if I had that 6 grand again I would spend a lot more time shopping around, might have saved some money. For one thing I'd be all over Andy's NS1000M's for sale in the classifieds -I've had a crush on them since the seventies.

I suppose like everything else, Richer sounds stores will only be as good as the people staffing them - I visited one at Prestwich a few times in the 90's, and they always made me feel like I was interrupting something.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast