+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you last visit a HiFi dealer ?

I'm Ian.

Default When did you last visit a HiFi dealer ?

With all the high street closures I have been wondering what the future holds for the traditional HiFi dealer. My distant memory is that the old way of buying HiFi was to find a dealer who would let you try at home, with a fall back of listening in their demo room. Personally the first way never worked for me, I guess I was never spending enough; the second, yes tried it several times but I never found things sounded the same when I got back home.

The last piece I bought from a traditional dealer was an Mdac when they first came out so that must have been a good 5 years ago.

It was soon sold one, which makes me think that my approach of using the second hand market to buy try and sell on gives far more opportunity, with far less depreciation, than buying new. I appreciate that its difficult to get the latest gear this way but emperors new clothes and all that, maybe its better to wait a while.

But longer term if nothng new is bought will the second hand market dry up and where does this leave the traditional HiFi dealer

when did you last buy some new gear from a traditional dealer

I'm Tommy.

Late 99'.
    I use the internet and used marked. Anyway as you mentioned I need to try it at home.

Tommy

I'm Michael.

I prefer to get advice from the gentlemen on here

I'm sorted.

Audio T in Brentwood, couple of months back.

I've never purchased anything from there but they set up my 401 for me, very friendly, helpful service.

I'm Anto.

If you mean Currys , then if no - never !!
    That probably explains why I have a collection of old shyte , in the main

But I love it
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm David.

Acton gate in Wrexham 2 days ago. Trying out some ATC's, but they are not for me.

montesquieu Guest

Helped an elderly friend carry a rather special and extremely heavy valve amp - a Mesa Baron - into Fanthorpes in Hull for repair a few months back as the bias circuitry had packed up (common fault with them apparently). Some lovely stuff in there, Luxman, Sugden and the like.

However without my knowledge my friend traded it in and it was sold on before I got wind of the fact that it was coming available. Fanthorpes sold it to someone who will be using it with a solid state Audiolab preamp - totally unsuitable and no way to get the best out of the amp.

I was actually a bit upset as I'd had my eye on it for years and had been up front that I wanted first dibs. But such is life. At least I have my Radford STA100 back now.

I'm Adrian.

Well I last visited Tavistock Audio to audition a pair of ex-demo Wilson Benesch Arc's (the last pair built). Bob was very helpful and after minimal negotiation we struck a deal. I still have them and am very pleased, to be honest they were a bit of a bargain. Sadly Bob had to close the shop, which was lovely, as the business rates had become extortionate. He was trading as Devon Audio from home, but it looks like he has closed down.

I tend to alternate between them and my 2nd hand 20+ year old Impulse H2's.

I try and keep away from HiFi shops as I usually get tempted otherwise. Dealers always seem to be able to demonstrate some piece of equipment that gets you itching for a change, or makes you feel you can improve your system.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Well I last visited Tavistock Audio to audition a pair of ex-demo Wilson Benesch Arc's (the last pair built). Bob was very helpful and after minimal negotiation we struck a deal. I still have them and am very pleased, to be honest they were a bit of a bargain. Sadly Bob had to close the shop, which was lovely, as the business rates had become extortionate. He was trading as Devon Audio from home, but it looks like he has closed down.

I tend to alternate between them and my 2nd hand 20+ year old Impulse H2's.

I try and keep away from HiFi shops as I usually get tempted otherwise. Dealers always seem to be able to demonstrate some piece of equipment that gets you itching for a change, or makes you feel you can improve your system.
    Joking apart , you probably have hit on the reason I dont actively seek out good audio shops
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Rob.

I like to drop into Audio T in Cheltenham when I'm in town. They are friendly and don't mind a short chat. I brought my Spendor S3/5R2 speakers from them (lovely - but recently sold on) and Rega Apollo CD player (which they recently repaired). They also fitted a Heed Orbit to my Linn LP12 and gave the deck a service. However, most of my recent purchases have been second hand.

When I started out and was paying around £200 a piece for my Hi-Fi kit, I bought most of my new kit from Richer Sounds. When I started to spend more the opportunity to hear before I bought made the likes of Audio T more attractive. Nowadays I have to admit to really liking the buy try and sell on if you don't like, second hand route as Ian seems to. There are occasional dalliances with new - my Schiit Saga for example, where it seems (and is) too good a bargain to miss. The result is that I now have a Hi-Fi system that is far better than I could afford to buy from a high street shop. Though saying that, I have had the odd second hand bargain from a shop (the Teac VRDS 7 that preceded the Rega Apollo for example).

I also really like both supporting and enjoying the fruits of the garage industry Hi-fi that this site has brought to my attention. So at the moment I'm thoroughly enjoying listening to some Tchaikovsky via a Phonomac arm and Firebottle phono amp.

Another related question would be how often do you visit a music shop? I don't buy CDs very often nowadays. It's usually downloads from Qobuz, Presto Classical, or Linn; or a second-hand LPs from a very friendly local dealer.
    Rob.