+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: When did you last visit a HiFi dealer ?

I'm Clint.

I visited Audio Counsel (For the first time) in Diggle today for a demo of 2 valve phono stages. Only wanted to listen to one phono stage but on their advice listened to another & glad I did because it was a lovely musical phono stage, better than the one I wanted to listen to (Just more musical) Great demo, great advice, friendly, no hard sell. I will be purchasing a phono stage from them in the near future. This is what I really like about using small, independent hifi shop's, great demo's, great advice, NO hard sell. When you do buy from these guy's, you are helping the local economy & not feeding a great corporate money making machine like Amazon for instance.

As for going to a dealer for advice & then buying on line (Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!) A friend of mine runs a camera shop in Chester & he gets people visiting his shop to look at a certain camera & they have a play, hand it back & leave. They then return with the same camera they have purchased on line & have a problem with it. They are then asked if they purchased the camera from my friends shop & when they say "No I bought off the internet" they are told to contact the on line dealer they purchased it from "But they don't have anyone to contact if there is a fault" to which my mate simply replies, "Part of the benefit from buying form a high street dealer such as ourselves is if you have a problem with your purchase, you can bring it back into us & we will sort it out for you. As you have not bought the camera from us I am unfortunately unable to help you"

I'm alan.

Care to share this great revelation.......

Wanted A
    But
    B was better

Mmmmh

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint H View Post
    I visited Audio Counsel (For the first time) in Diggle today for a demo of 2 valve phono stages. Only wanted to listen to one phono stage but on their advice listened to another & glad I did because it was a lovely musical phono stage, better than the one I wanted to listen to (Just more musical) Great demo, great advice, friendly, no hard sell. I will be purchasing a phono stage from them in the near future. This is what I really like about using small, independent hifi shop's, great demo's, great advice, NO hard sell. When you do buy from these guy's, you are helping the local economy & not feeding a great corporate money making machine like Amazon for instance.

As for going to a dealer for advice & then buying on line (Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!) A friend of mine runs a camera shop in Chester & he gets people visiting his shop to look at a certain camera & they have a play, hand it back & leave. They then return with the same camera they have purchased on line & have a problem with it. They are then asked if they purchased the camera from my friends shop & when they say "No I bought off the internet" they are told to contact the on line dealer they purchased it from "But they don't have anyone to contact if there is a fault" to which my mate simply replies, "Part of the benefit from buying form a high street dealer such as ourselves is if you have a problem with your purchase, you can bring it back into us & we will sort it out for you. As you have not bought the camera from us I am unfortunately unable to help you"

I bet that 'online' customer's face was a picture! (Albeit a bit out of focus and poorly lit)

+1 for Audio Counsel (nice man is Dave) Demos are by appointment only, which gives demo an unhurried and personal feel). They ended up getting my custom And I just know that if there was ever a problem I wouldn't be left to fend for myself.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint H View Post

I’d have fixed the man’s camera, but informed him it would be £50 up front, plus £50 an hour, etc. and then remind him that this service is free to customers.

These people who have no conscious about wasting a man’s time, and buying elsewhere, is because they do not value that man’s time! If that shoe were on the other foot, and someone was wasting their time, they’d be livid.

When you buy from a local shop, you are getting more than just the item, you are getting a demonstration, advise, and quite often set up expertise. And, I know from experience it is worth something to have a place to return an item when it fails. Shipping expensive items to distant factories can be risky, at the very least. And the cost of shipping can easily waste any savings you got by buying online. When it’s possible to buy local, it’s worth a lot more than these penny pinchers may realize. But one thing is certain, when it comes to money, people are weird!

Russell

I'm Steve.

I buy all my tools and work materials locally, and I'm on first name terms with most of them (the guys in the merchants, not the tools). They know and trust me, and I can take stuff away ahead of payment, which is sometimes necessary. We can have a bit of banter, which is for me part of what makes buying local worthwhile. And if there was a problem with anything, I know that their help is only 20 minutes or so away

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I buy all my tools and work materials locally, and I'm on first name terms with most of them (the guys in the merchants, not the tools). They know and trust me, and I can take stuff away ahead of payment, which is sometimes necessary. We can have a bit of banter, which is for me part of what makes buying local worthwhile. And if there was a problem with anything, I know that their help is only 20 minutes or so away
    That’s how things used to be! And a better way to be, in my humble opinion.

(Don’t be afraid to name your tools!)

Russ

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    That’s how things used to be! And a better way to be, in my humble opinion.

(Don’t be afraid to name your tools!)

Russ
    Most of my power tools are Makita cordless, and when the battery dies I usually call them Turd

I did buy a DeWalt laser level online a couple of years ago because it was so cheap, I didn't even need one at the time. When I came to use it a few months later, it wouldn't work! I will eventually will take it into my favourite local dealer who I know will sort it, but the repair will probably cost more than the money I "saved", but no more than I deserve.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Ian.

Nottingham Hi Fi for a new cart which they fitted. Lovely chap who gave me some solid advice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678