+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie after advice on budget TT

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Ject-...t1Kq:rk:9:pf:0

States the "cartridge needle" is broken, I would imagine worst case scenario this may mean a new cartridge?

If so what would be a good replacement & is it an easy procedure to change it?
    If you did go for something like this and need a replacement cartridge I have a Rega Carbon that you can have, it's probably had 50 hours use, so barely run in, you're welcome to it foc.

Easy to change but delicate, leave the stylus guard on. Two bolts and 4 wires.

Needs a bit of a setup though, alignment (you can get a stylus alignment protractor easily) and the rough tracking weight is on the tonearm dial.

Talking you through it is easy.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Steve.

Hi
    You could just get a replacement stylus and slide it on and would cost no more than £25quid or replace the whole cart for a better cartridge
    Depends on what you want to spend

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Matt.

Thanks for the advice guys

Had a quick browse on Ebay, are Project Debut and Elemental any good? There seem to be lots of them for sale, is that because they're not great?
    Buying a tt 2nd hand via eBay etc does carry some degree of risk, especially if you are new to tt’s.
    Not much wrong with something like a project debut carbon for the money. It comes as standard with an ortofon 2m Red cart which sells for £90 on its own. I would guess that people dip their toe into the vinyl world with a debut carbon & then decide they want to upgrade a couple of years later.
    As the debut carbon has a better (carbon fibre) arm & the 2m red cart, I would choose that over the elemental, which has a lower quality arm & cart. Don’t think it came with a lid either, iirc.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    Buying a tt 2nd hand via eBay etc does carry some degree of risk, especially if you are new to tt’s.
    Not much wrong with something like a project debut carbon for the money. It comes as standard with an ortofon 2m Red cart which sells for £90 on its own. I would guess that people dip their toe into the vinyl world with a debut carbon & then decide they want to upgrade a couple of years later.
    As the debut carbon has a better (carbon fibre) arm & the 2m red cart, I would choose that over the elemental, which has a lower quality arm & cart. Don’t think it came with a lid either, iirc.
    Plus 1+
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Dave.

I've had many turntables bought s/hand and from E-Bay in to me for service and set up. Some have been OK and doable but some have been trashed by previous owners and/or in transit.

The latest was a TD160 with SME Series III arm and cartridge, just plonked in a box with some bubble. In transit the arm was completely smashed and totally useless. the turntable was OK but looked like it had a tough life and not worth the money despite being described as "immaculate"...

Often, the problem is that the seller doesn't know anything about turntables, having bought it from a car boot sale, charity shop or it's their Dad's. I've had several in where the turntable has been sent in a box with the platter in situ, just held in place by some sticky tape wrapped around it and the plinth. Needless to say, this causes quite a lot of damage.

I'm Gary.

Thanks for all the advice guys, and thanks to Gary for the kind offer of the cartridge.

The potential for damage in transit isn't something, although it's obvious when pointed out, I'd considered so I might wait until something comes up locally so that I can check it over (as best I can) and transport it myself.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Alan.

Hi Gaz,

I visited Desirable Vinyl on Friday in Evesham and bought some vinyl. He has a turntable for sale, I think he said about £50, didn't look closely but appeared in good condition.
    If this isn't too far from you might be worth a look, his number is 07821 1825twoone, ask for Jason.

I'm Gary.

Sorry to keep on but this looks a good bet

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/d...ble/1316147264

Or would the Project ones mentioned earlier be worth waiting for?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Dual turntables do have a good reputation. Dave (DSJR) of this parish is pretty knowledgable and familiar with them: he uses a Dual TT himself. If he doesn't see this thread ask for his opinion via a PM.

£45 look to me to be bit of a steal for an eminently suitable beginner's deck. Again ask Dave for his opinion of the arm and if it can take a better (more expensive) cartridge.
    Barry

I'm Matt.

Apples & Oranges.
    You’re comparing a £45, 30+ year old semi auto TT, albeit part refurb’d with a budget old cart, & non-standard drive belt with a Pro-Ject which would only be a few years old & with a much better arm & cart, & probably at least twice the cost.
    The Dual motor, pulley, bearing etc is all 30+ years old.
    Don’t get me wrong, my 1st proper TT was exactly that one, a 505-1 & it brings back good memories.
    However, I seriously doubt it would stack up well to a Debut Carbon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast