+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie after advice on budget TT

I'm Gary.

Default Newbie after advice on budget TT

Hi Guys
    I joined yesterday & am thinking of getting back into vinyl.

My last TT was a Garrard Sp25 and that was probably 20 years ago, I'm using a Pioneer A656 Reference amp, which has MM & MC phono inputs and Quadral Rondo Phonologue speakers.

My record collection is mostly from the 70s/80s and after being stored in the loft for 20 years may not be in great condition. As the records may possibly be unplayable I'm not looking to spend a lot on a turntable, somewhere around £100 - 150. As my wife is more concerned with aesthetics than sound it must also look "nice"

I've been thinking along the lines of Pioneer PL12D or Dual CS505?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

I'm Gary.

Get a Knosti manual record cleaning machine first about £50 new and clean your records first.

My records had been in the loft a similar amount of time, cleaned up beautifully and played well. Some even had mould on them.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Hi Guys
    I joined yesterday & am thinking of getting back into vinyl.

My last TT was a Garrard Sp25 and that was probably 20 years ago, I'm using a Pioneer A656 Reference amp, which has MM & MC phono inputs and Quadral Rondo Phonologue speakers.

My record collection is mostly from the 70s/80s and after being stored in the loft for 20 years may not be in great condition. As the records may possibly be unplayable I'm not looking to spend a lot on a turntable, somewhere around £100 - 150. As my wife is more concerned with aesthetics than sound it must also look "nice"

I've been thinking along the lines of Pioneer PL12D or Dual CS505?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Gary.

Think about a modern Project turntable, for your budget maybe a better bet, will get you on the vinyl ladder and see where you go from there.

Good hunting.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Think about a modern Project turntable, for your budget maybe a better bet, will get you on the vinyl ladder and see where you go from there.

Good hunting.

Gary
    I would agree aim for at least £150-200.

If you are able to go higher and can find one then a Pro-Ject Xperience 2 Pack 2nd hand in good condition is a very good option. The generally came with an Ortofon Red cartridge occasionally a Blue if the customer upgraded. I sold mine a couple of years ago for £500 when I upgrade, I found it an excellent TT, very detailed and good sound, very good value for money. The new incarnation of it is about £999.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I would agree aim for at least £150-200.

If you are able to go higher and can find one then a Pro-Ject Xperience 2 Pack 2nd hand in good condition is a very good option. The generally came with an Ortofon Red cartridge occasionally a Blue if the customer upgraded. I sold mine a couple of years ago for £500 when I upgrade, I found it an excellent TT, very detailed and good sound, very good value for money. The new incarnation of it is about £999.
    It a ptoject 2experience sb dc and is now£1,100
    Comes fitted with ortofon 2m silver

If your budget can streatch the project elemental is available for around £175 if you shop around

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Gary.

Thanks for the advice guys

Had a quick browse on Ebay, are Project Debut and Elemental any good? There seem to be lots of them for sale, is that because they're not great?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    It a ptoject 2experience sb dc and is now£1,100
    Comes fitted with ortofon 2m silver

If your budget can streatch the project elemental is available for around £175 if you shop around

Steve
    Check this out https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/t...-dc-acryl.html
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Still 5 times the guy's budget

Not sure I'd want a plastic turntable
    The wood version is £1,100
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Gary.

Default This?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Ject-...t1Kq:rk:9:pf:0

States the "cartridge needle" is broken, I would imagine worst case scenario this may mean a new cartridge?

If so what would be a good replacement & is it an easy procedure to change it?

I'm Steve.

Nice turntable for the money
    Not expensive to replace the cartridge
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast