+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon DL-S1 MC cartridge

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I disagree, Paul. First impressions are critical. If you like something, you instantly know it. Anything else is just you (collective) trying to convince yourself you like something.

I've said before, I dont need weeks to know if something is doing what I like. That's the bonus of knowing exactly what I like and want.

The Denon is a very likeable cartridge and like it I do, but I know what direction I am going in and that's to get the Kb to 'Vienna-ish' levels.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    fair enough mate I'll be on me way then
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Bigman80 Guest

don't be like that mate, I'm just a first impressions kind and I think it's fair to say I have a good handle on what it does do and where I'm happiest is with the Kb.

It's all good!!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    fair enough mate I'll be on me way then

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    spot on oli

I'm Martin.

I agree if you don't like it from the off then you're not likely to grow to like it. On the other hand I have had the odd item that has been impressive at first but on longer and more varied listening has had flaws or characteristics I couldn't live with.

And then there's the dreaded 'synergy'. Something you would like you don't like because it isn't playing nicely with some other part of the system. Rare, but it happens.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree if you don't like it from the off then you're not likely to grow to like it. On the other hand I have had the odd item that has been impressive at first but on longer and more varied listening has had flaws or characteristics I couldn't live with.

And then there's the dreaded 'synergy'. Something you would like you don't like because it isn't playing nicely with some other part of the system. Rare, but it happens.
    Yep, totally agree Macca.

I like the Denon, it's a great cart but I'm more 'tuned' like the Ortofon Kontrapunkt b. Its no fault of the DL-S1, it really is very good. I know it's odd to see someone say "it's very good" but be looking to move it on, but it's just a magic combination with the PMAT1010, SP10 MK2 and the Kb. Synergy is finding that chain which all play nicely together and they really do, as you've heard.

I'm Martin.

I'm a big fan of that Denon cart but having heard your TT with the Ortofon in I couldn't see how it was going to be better in any appreciable way.

I like both because neither trys to make vinyl sound digital (trying to do that IMO throws the baby out with the bathwater). I don't see the point of that. Marco had a modern SPU on his TT before he got that Denon and that really was not for me. But with the Denon it was bob on.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

I'm a big fan of that Denon cart but having heard your TT with the Ortofon in I couldn't see how it was going to be better in any appreciable way.

I like both because neither trys to make vinyl sound digital (trying to do that IMO throws the baby out with the bathwater). I don't see the point of that. Marco had a modern SPU on his TT before he got that Denon and that really was not for me. But with the Denon it was bob on.
    And that's the outcome mate. Not enough discernable difference for me to move on.

I'm James.

Spot on Martin - This happened to me with the Kontrapunkt B! I wanted it to work as I had heard it work so well but in my system it lacked something
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Spot on Martin - This happened to me with the Kontrapunkt B! I wanted it to work as I had heard it work so well but in my system it lacked something
    Synergy mate. So important.

I'm Steve.

I think instant likes and dislikes are paramount and save us a lot of hard earned money
    No point listening to something your not a 100% happy with in the hope you'll grow to like it.

I heard Oliver's Monarchy Amp and instantly new i wanted it and the second it went up for sale i bought it.

I would never buy something i was only 95% happy with

As for your Kontrapunkt Oliver, unless your willing to rob a bank, you will never get a cartridge that integrates with your system as well as the kontrapunkt (imho)

I'd like to be proved wrong as I'd love your kontrapunkt myself but it's highly unlikely.

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast