+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon DL-S1 MC cartridge

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed! However, it would provide the evidence required to put that particular subject to bed.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A very good collection of posts (all 27 pages of them!) discussing stylus profiles can be found on the vinylengine.com site: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=19&t=22894.
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A very good collection of posts (all 27 pages of them!) discussing stylus profiles can be found on the vinylengine.com site: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=19&t=22894.
    Thanks for this Barry.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

I think that's the ultimate 'for audiophiles only' post I have ever seen!
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thanks for this Barry.
    How are you settling in now with the cartridge, Ollie?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    How are you settling in now with the cartridge, Ollie?

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

Day two with the DLS1:

I spent a few hours listening from around 09:00 until around 12:00. What strikes me most about the cartridge is it's unyielding approach to detail. It is merciless in its quest to dredge the groove and it really does find things that, although I've heard them before, they werent as defined. The payoff is in the decay and transients. It's been a surprise to hear the amount of detail in the decay of piano notes.

What I still can't conjure up is depth I get from the Kb. I've spent a large part of the afternoon fiddling with VTA, Azimuth etc but it just isn't available. Whilst the DL-S1 does have an outstanding soundstage, I know there's depth available and I'm missing it slightly.

The presentation therefore can only be described as more forward than the Kb. The bass is also incredibly detailed and what I presumed was a lack of bass transpires as a drier bass with more leading edge detail. It's very good and also, whilst might it may not be a 'bass monster' it has perfectly sufficient bass to keep all but the most bass hungry listener content.

Tonally, I'm struggling a bit. It's not as rich as the Kb and that was something I liked about the Kb. It wasn't coloured but it had a richness. Out of interest I plumbed the Kb back in and instantly wondered why I Was F#cking with cartridges

It's not that one is better than the other, the DL-S1 has the edge in resolution and leading edge which i love, but the Kb sings to my heart strings.

I put the DL-S1 back in and again, all the qualities were there and it's got such great channel separation that it's exceptional and portraying the soundstage width. I really like how dynamic it is too. There's no doubt in my mind that his cartridge would battle well in the £3k cartridge market. It's an unbelievable bargain at £900 so the £620 I paid is just taking the P!!

Ultimately, the Kb is where my heart lies but that's partly because I have a plan for it rather than there being a clear winner, which there isn't really to discernable a difference. The Kb will be going to Killian Bakker for the Vienna mods. If funds allow going forward.

I'm in no rush to do anything for a bit and will enjoy what the DL-S1 has to offer over the weekend before decided what to do.

I'm Robert.

Nice Day 2 reveiw Oli, and you've probably summed it up.

I'm in no doubt the DL S1 one is a great cartridge and what you are finding doiesnt surprise me.

That it's not a case of one being clearly better than the other, just different and in a way that appeals or leans more over to your personal taste.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Nice Day 2 reveiw Oli, and you've probably summed it up.

I'm in no doubt the DL S1 one is a great cartridge and what you are finding doiesnt surprise me.

That it's not a case of one being clearly better than the other, just different and in a way that appeals or leans more over to your personal taste.
    Thanks Robbie.

If I'd have heard the DL-S1 first, I'd probably have felt the Kb was slightly fat or slightly bloated but because my ears (and heart) is used to that kB sound, I am struggling to let it go. I will give it a fair few hours over the weekend and try and adjust a bit more but like I say, it's a great cartridge which deserves an Audition!

I'm James.

So I think you are zoning in on what the DL -S1 can achieve which makes it a great cartridge up there with the best certainly in the £1000 category. I noticed that very open and wide top end with amazing detail when I heard it and I think I agree with you regarding the bass performance which is a little dry but controlled and articulate.

As you know I had the KB in my system a few times and from memory I would say it is fatter in the bass but maybe not so controlled. The DL-S1 bass is similar to my 2M black but the top end is in a different league. When I was evaluating the KB in my system I was shocked when I popped the 2M back in to find that it beat the KB on attack and delivery of detail. Vocals were equal to the KB but the live sound of the 2M was more engaging for me in my system

I would also agree the tonal quality of the KB betters both the DL-S1 and the 2M and here lies the area I think you maybe most sensitive too especially as vinyl excels in this area. The all important midrange material is therefore better expressed by the KB and so makes it an easy listening cartridge. Soundstage depth and width is great on the KB but not as 3D as my 2M, yes it is wider and deeper but not as etched and I mean this in a good way. The DL-S1 however has fantastic soundstage and matches the 2M for that live acoustic sound. It betters both the KB and the 2M in detail and acoustic information from both instruments and vocals.

Tough choice but in the end its what ticks the boxes for you mate.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    So I think you are zoning in on what the DL -S1 can achieve which makes it a great cartridge up there with the best certainly in the £1000 category. I noticed that very open and wide top end with amazing detail when I heard it and I think I agree with you regarding the bass performance which is a little dry but controlled and articulate.

As you know I had the KB in my system a few times and from memory I would say it is fatter in the bass but maybe not so controlled. The DL-S1 bass is similar to my 2M black but the top end is in a different league. When I was evaluating the KB in my system I was shocked when I popped the 2M back in to find that it beat the KB on attack and delivery of detail. Vocals were equal to the KB but the live sound of the 2M was more engaging for me in my system

I would also agree the tonal quality of the KB betters both the DL-S1 and the 2M and here lies the area I think you maybe most sensitive too especially as vinyl excels in this area. The all important midrange material is therefore better expressed by the KB and so makes it an easy listening cartridge. Soundstage depth and width is great on the KB but not as 3D as my 2M, yes it is wider and deeper but not as etched and I mean this in a good way. The DL-S1 however has fantastic soundstage and matches the 2M for that live acoustic sound. It betters both the KB and the 2M in detail and acoustic information from both instruments and vocals.

Tough choice but in the end its what ticks the boxes for you mate.
    Jim,

There was an exciting 'live' sound to your 2MB and the 3D rendering blew me away. In fact, it was that which made me determined to improve my vinyl play back.

What I couldn't live with, with the 2MB, was the HF which at times sounds a little etched as you say. In your valve system I think it is tamed really well, but here I think my ears would bleed

The Kontrapunkt is too refined a cartridge after you've had long term exposure to the 2MB and that's exactly the issue here, the Kb is tonally what I want it to be. The Denon cannot be as it would lose its performance in the detail.

I'd love that leading edge on the bass to be transferable to the Kb from the DL-S1. It's not hard to hear how good the Denon is and yes, it almost has that 'live' feel the 2MB has but not to that degree.

Like I say, if I'd heard the Denon first, I'd be cussing the Kb for sounding a little fat but as it stands, I love the fat girl (kB) and the supermodel (Denon) is a bit of a fling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast