+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Denon DL-S1 MC cartridge

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Whenever someone goes against the grain, as I have, there becomes an instant interrogation into why.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post

Bigman80 Guest

"but rather that some may have considered you didn't do enough to allow the DL-S1 to shine"

That's their opinion but mine is simpler, It had the same playing field as the Kb. The setup wasn't built around the Kb so they both have to perform in what's here and let's get something perfectly clear, I NEVER said the DL-S1 didn't perform. That's where the confusion has come from.

The members here have suggested that it didn't perform due to "the system not being optimised for the DL-S1"

Its bollocks.

The cartridge performance was excellent. It just didn't out perform the Kb so I'm sticking with what I have. To suggest the system let it down is ridiculous.

That's the bit that people aren't willing to accept and are searching for a reason the DL-S1 didn't beat the Kb, like I said 50 posts back.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Firstly, you should never be subjected to "interrogation" by anyone, simply for coming to a decision that may have upset some people's sensibilities... And I don't think you have, certainly by anyone who was surprised that you preferred the KB to the Denon, but rather from others who may have considered you didn't do enough to allow the DL-S1 to shine.

I don't buy that at all and disagree, as I ran the DL-S1 through a fixed gain/fixed loading MM phono stage and MC head amp, and it sounded superb, without it being nannied by an 'optimal' SUT and/or a variable-gain phono stage.

Do I think that an AU-S1 would've had the potential to make it perform even better? Yes, absolutely (as I know from experience how well Denon's SUTs and cartridges gel together), but it's not *essential* in order for the cartridge to be enjoyed to a high standard.

So to be honest Ollie, I wouldn't give a monkeys what anyone thinks. You've made your own informed and carefully considered decision on the matter, which you're entitled to, and which I fully respect, and that should be an end to the matter.

And yes, I have no doubt that Nick will love the DL-S1 and be very happy that he bought it, primarily because he's probably more attuned to liking the Denon sound, and has a system geared up to allow him to do that

Marco.
    Spot on and well put.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Aw you guys are not exactly filling me with confidence about my latest purchase...

Still didn't have a chance to hear it yet, got some listening time booked for the weekend hopefully. I guess we'll see.
    It's a fab cart from what I know of it so you've nothing to worry about
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Montesquieu
    It may be my imagination (which, essentially, is the medium we all listen through anyway - imagination is at the heart of, for example, the auditory feat of hearing a 3D soundstage) but I do generally feel the sound quality is at its best when the VU meters are also telling me the gain structure is optimal.
    I completely agree [although I don't think you're imagining anything], and indeed was saying something similar yesterday to Andrew. Implementing an optimal 'gain structure', for me, is VITAL in order for any vinyl replay system to perform at the highest level, both sonically and musically.

And for me, when it's significantly compromised, you can hear the effect very easily: gain too low = weedy, lacklustre sound, lacking in 'oomph'. Gain to high = edgy, saturated sound, prone to distortion.

I could go into that in more detail, but those are essentially the effects I *always* hear, when the gain structure in a vinyl replay system has been obviously compromised.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

i was hoping one would dwarf the other,trouble is they are both great cartridges,fair pair i say for having a go oli.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i was hoping one would dwarf the other,trouble is they are both great cartridges,fair pair i say for having a go oli.
    Thanks mate, I like trying new pieces so it's another of the "legendary" bits ticked off the list.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The members here have suggested that it didn't perform due to "the system not being optimised for the DL-S1"

Its bollocks.
    Well, that bit isn't bollocks. Your system wasn't optimised for the DL-S1, but then neither was mine!!

Didn't stop it from sounding great here though, nor I'm sure also at yours

The fact is, it's *impossible* to optimise every cartridge that comes into your system, no matter whether your phono stage and/or SUT is so flexible that it makes breakfast for you and tucks you in bed at night!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Well, that bit isn't bollocks. Your system wasn't optimised for the DL-S1, but then neither was mine!!

Didn't stop it from sounding great here though, nor I'm sure also at yours

The fact is, it's *impossible* to optimise every cartridge that comes into your system, no matter whether your phono stage and/or SUT is so flexible that it makes breakfast for you and tucks you in bed at night!

Marco.
    For the record, when I posted my initial question about gain, I was in no way suggesting that the system was not optimised for the Denon, only that if the same gain was in use for both cartridges it would certainly not be optimised for one, and quite possibly both.

Truth be told, if the phono preamp in use during the evaluation has 68 dB of gain and the Denon was loaded within a reasonable range (sounds like it was), in theory at least it would be pretty much optimised for the DL-S1 and it would be the Ortofon which would be at a fairly distinct disadvantage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast