+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon DL-S1 MC cartridge

I'm Kevin.

Decision made then...
    Get it back up for sale before you put too many hours on it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi Marco,

Day two with the DLS1:

I spent a few hours listening from around 09:00 until around 12:00. What strikes me most about the cartridge is it's unyielding approach to detail. It is merciless in its quest to dredge the groove and it really does find things that, although I've heard them before, they werent as defined. The payoff is in the decay and transients. It's been a surprise to hear the amount of detail in the decay of piano notes.

What I still can't conjure up is depth I get from the Kb. I've spent a large part of the afternoon fiddling with VTA, Azimuth etc but it just isn't available. Whilst the DL-S1 does have an outstanding soundstage, I know there's depth available and I'm missing it slightly.

The presentation therefore can only be described as more forward than the Kb. The bass is also incredibly detailed and what I presumed was a lack of bass transpires as a drier bass with more leading edge detail. It's very good and also, whilst might it may not be a 'bass monster' it has perfectly sufficient bass to keep all but the most bass hungry listener content.

Tonally, I'm struggling a bit. It's not as rich as the Kb and that was something I liked about the Kb. It wasn't coloured but it had a richness. Out of interest I plumbed the Kb back in and instantly wondered why I Was F#cking with cartridges

It's not that one is better than the other, the DL-S1 has the edge in resolution and leading edge which i love, but the Kb sings to my heart strings.

I put the DL-S1 back in and again, all the qualities were there and it's got such great channel separation that it's exceptional and portraying the soundstage width. I really like how dynamic it is too. There's no doubt in my mind that his cartridge would battle well in the £3k cartridge market. It's an unbelievable bargain at £900 so the £620 I paid is just taking the P!!

Ultimately, the Kb is where my heart lies but that's partly because I have a plan for it rather than there being a clear winner, which there isn't really to discernable a difference. The Kb will be going to Killian Bakker for the Vienna mods. If funds allow going forward.

I'm in no rush to do anything for a bit and will enjoy what the DL-S1 has to offer over the weekend before decided what to do.
    Good stuff, mate. I think you've good a very good handle on how the DL-S1 sounds, particularly the bass side of things, as well as acknowledging what its talents are.

Hey, whatever happens now, you've got the satisfaction of knowing you've tried it, and most importantly, compared it with your current benchmark (the KB), and now appreciate what that's good at more than ever.

That always helps to crystallise your thoughts and makes it easier to arrive at the right decisions on how to successfully move forward and achieve the type of sound you want. In that respect, I shall follow your progress with interest!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good stuff, mate. I think you've good a very good handle on how the DL-S1 sounds, particularly the bass side of things, as well as acknowledging what its talents are.

Hey, whatever happens now, you've got the satisfaction of knowing you've tried it, and most importantly, compared it with your current benchmark (the KB), and now appreciate what that's good at more than ever.

That always helps to crystallise your thoughts and makes it easier to arrive at the right decisions on how to successfully move forward and achieve the type of sound you want. In that respect, I shall follow your progress with interest!

Marco.
    That's what its all about now. Trying a few choice pieces and just testing where the system is at. Obviously, elite cartridges like the Benz Gullwing and Ortofon Vienna are the next step but whos got that money lying about lol. Not me for sure

The Denon is a great cart. No doubt. I will get the Kb fettled I think and see how it does then.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Bigman80 Guest

I know mate, I've been watching it but cant do anything until I know what's happening at work.

Decided I'm going to 'Vienna' the Kontrapunkt b when funds allow. I reckon once done it may well outdo the Winfeld.

I'm Mike.

I know mate, I've been watching it but cant do anything until I know what's happening at work.

Decided I'm going to 'Vienna' the Kontrapunkt b when funds allow. I reckon once done it may well outdo the Winfeld.

Thought you'd have seen it, no worries.

I'm paul.

Thanks Robbie.

If I'd have heard the DL-S1 first, I'd probably have felt the Kb was slightly fat or slightly bloated but because my ears (and heart) is used to that kB sound, I am struggling to let it go. I will give it a fair few hours over the weekend and try and adjust a bit more but like I say, it's a great cartridge which deserves an Audition!

better to spend longer with the Denon like you have with the kb, then see how you find the kb after the denon
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    better to spend longer with the Denon like you have with the kb, then see how you find the kb after the denon
    I disagree, Paul. First impressions are critical. If you like something, you instantly know it. Anything else is just you (collective) trying to convince yourself you like something.

I've said before, I dont need weeks to know if something is doing what I like. That's the bonus of knowing exactly what I like and want.

The Denon is a very likeable cartridge and like it I do, but I know what direction I am going in and that's to get the Kb to 'Vienna-ish' levels.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Thought you'd have seen it, no worries.
    I'm very tempted mate, as should anyone here lol.

I'm jamie.

I disagree, Paul. First impressions are critical. If you like something, you instantly know it. Anything else is just you (collective) trying to convince yourself you like something.
    spot on oli
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast