+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: In praise of the Denon 103...

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hello Paul

Can you provide a link to this ebay site please? I would be interested in a 1:3 SUT.

Thanks
    Barry
    i can't provide a link but if you go to home audio and hifi separates and search for step up transformer you will find them in a black case with the two transformers in silver sticking out of the top. They are £217 these days.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    i can't provide a link but if you go to home audio and hifi separates and search for step up transformer you will find them in a black case with the two transformers in silver sticking out of the top. They are £217 these days.
    Thanks Paul,

I did manage to find the link, but more importantly found out the name of the manufacturer of the transformers used.

Cheers
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by kambo_z View Post
    Can i ask you guys, from where you refurbish Denon 103 with a new cantilever and stylus and how much it costs? thanks
    I bought mine from a seller in Germany through eBay.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Vishal.

Although my experience is with DL103R's, I'm sure this would translate well to The DL103.

The stock DL103R was a nice improvement over the other Denon cartridges I had heard in my system. However, the stock cartridge has a little bit of unrefined midrange and graininess to the sound. Also, I think it lacked a bit of the detail that I was getting with the DL301MKII.

So, I got another DL103R and had it potted into a Paradox Pulse body. This was a significantly heavier beast! The sound was much smoother and the graininess was gone. The bass also seemed better yet the cohesiveness and magic of the original cartridge remained. More of the musical information comes through the entire frequency range. With this, there was no going back to the stock DL103R for me.

I decided to have the spare stock DL103R potted into a Paradox Pulse Guard body and then sent it to phono cartridge retipping for a sapphire cantilever and micro ridge stylus. With these upgrades, there was increased realism to the sound. I could hear details in recordings that I thought I was familiar with. Now I could hear further into the nuanced details of the recorded performance. This extra detail really unlocks a good deal of information that before went unnoticed. For example, in well recorded live albums, the venue acoustics and crowd sounds come through vividly. However, none of it sounds forced in any way. This is the best cartridge I’ve ever had in my system. It’s kept the magic of the DL103R and unlocked a whole lot more detail and nuance.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by vs_jk View Post
    Although my experience is with DL103R's, I'm sure this would translate well to The DL103.

The stock DL103R was a nice improvement over the other Denon cartridges I had heard in my system. However, the stock cartridge has a little bit of unrefined midrange and graininess to the sound. Also, I think it lacked a bit of the detail that I was getting with the DL301MKII.

So, I got another DL103R and had it potted into a Paradox Pulse body. This was a significantly heavier beast! The sound was much smoother and the graininess was gone. The bass also seemed better yet the cohesiveness and magic of the original cartridge remained. More of the musical information comes through the entire frequency range. With this, there was no going back to the stock DL103R for me.

I decided to have the spare stock DL103R potted into a Paradox Pulse Guard body and then sent it to phono cartridge retipping for a sapphire cantilever and micro ridge stylus. With these upgrades, there was increased realism to the sound. I could hear details in recordings that I thought I was familiar with. Now I could hear further into the nuanced details of the recorded performance. This extra detail really unlocks a good deal of information that before went unnoticed. For example, in well recorded live albums, the venue acoustics and crowd sounds come through vividly. However, none of it sounds forced in any way. This is the best cartridge I’ve ever had in my system. It’s kept the magic of the DL103R and unlocked a whole lot more detail and nuance.
    Agree. I also have a Paradox Pulse Guard 103R and find it the best 103R version I’ve heard. Again, as I’ve posted above the Rothwell Headspace really makes it dance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567