+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long have we got?

I'm Nick.

CDs will not survive, it's an outmoded digital format with zero sentimental/emotional value.
    Vinyl on the other hand I think will always have a following among those who value quality in music appreciation. It may never be mainstream again but it will survive I think.
    It was looking far worse for vinyl in the early 90s when CD was king, but it survived until today and just look at the amount of modern turntables, tonearms etc available today. They wouldn't be around if no-one was buying them.
    Personally speaking, even if no new record was ever pressed again, I have enough vinyl to keep me listening for the rest of my natural life - maybe 3000 records? Should see me through, and I hope they will pass on to my son one day.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    CDs will not survive
    Well they will here.

Why should I bin a large collection of CD's and some great sounding CD playing equipment just because they are (apparently) no longer 'flavour of the month'?

I'm Martin.

Likewise but that's not the general trend.

What got me to start buying cds and a cd player was when you could no longer get new releases on vinyl. At some point soon they will stop doing new releases on CD and that's the end for CD. Despite being the best way (IMO) to own a hard copy of what is effectively the master recording, it does not have vinyl's charms, so it will die.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Likewise but that's not the general trend.

What got me to start buying cds and a cd player was when you could no longer get new releases on vinyl. At some point soon they will stop doing new releases on CD and that's the end for CD. Despite being the best way (IMO) to own a hard copy of what is effectively the master recording, it does not have vinyl's charms, so it will die.
    I like cd' s and will continue to buy them new and old stuff, if they stop being produced I won't buy any new music, streaming dosnt interest me,neither do downloads and I can't be arst going back to vinyl
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Martin.

I buy new music so rarely it doesn't matter at all to me. Worst (or best) case, if new music got good again I'd get someone to download it and burn me CDRs. Or I'll buy a Nakamichi DR2 and tape it off them like in the old days
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Adam.

CDs and SACDs are still enormously popular in Japan....

...think they will still be available in 10 years time. I rip all my vinyl and CDs to my hard drive as lossless Flacs to play via Raspberry Pi Squeezebox Touch clones. But I still retain all the CDs and Vinyl as a backup (I have around 5000 CDs). I still have CDs I bought new in 1985 - still play fine. I made sure my latest DAC - the excellent Creek 50CD had a CD player to use in case of internet outages etc.
    Adam.

I'm James.

I buy new music so rarely it doesn't matter at all to me. Worst (or best) case, if new music got good again I'd get someone to download it and burn me CDRs. Or I'll buy a Nakamichi DR2 and tape it off them like in the old days
    I'm sure there's plenty of new good music around just like there's always been utter shite having said that good or bad is just a matter of taste
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    I'm sure there's plenty of new good music around just like there's always been utter shite having said that good or bad is just a matter of taste
    I'm not so sure. I check out recommendations on here and other forums quite often and it seems to me that the new stuff is just a re-hash of old stuff. Or it's the sort of music that does nothing for me anyway (which is the taste bit). Or it's utter shite. And yes there's always been utter shite. No argument there.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

I'm not so sure. I check out recommendations on here and other forums quite often and it seems to me that the new stuff is just a re-hash of old stuff. Or it's the sort of music that does nothing for me anyway (which is the taste bit). Or it's utter shite. And yes there's always been utter shite. No argument there.
    At work the radio is usually on somethong like capitol,lots of new music,all crap to my ears, i like 6 music to get new good stuff along with old stuff,though often it's by chance I find new stuff I like

I'm James.

By new stuff do we mean new artists or just new music by anyone? Sorry am I thread crapping?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast