+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese Cartridges

I'm Mike.

Well, I had my Black Goldline and later, Urushi on my Five (11g) and they were pretty good, despite the arm mass discrepancy. The Urushi sang when I put it into a 14 to 15g 12" unipvot, though. All the basic Ks shunt out a healthy 0.5mV (the Black, 0.6) which makes them quite lusty and engaging on any arm, but as soon as you get above the Red K Sig., you're talking around 0.3 (my Vermillion even less). I rather think Ks are not the ones for your potential shopping list.

Lyras are fine; I'd imagine Zyx, Dv and Shelter also, but your arm is really intended for high compliance magnets, so synergy would always have a question mark, regardless of sonic results.

I'm Bob.

To answer your original post Mark, I had a shelter 5000 which left me totally underwhelmed. It just didn't really shine in any area of the audio spectrum.

That's not to say it's a bad cartridge by any means (look at the support already in this thread), but my system synergy will be different to your's, and your's will be different to anyone else's.

Likewise the Benz Micro Wood. Didn't do much for me but the next user loved it. Of all the cart's I've had I've had more joy with those around the £500 mark than the £1000+ end of the scale. I'll reinforce that by saying I've got 40 hours on a Cadenza Bronze I've had from new and it's currently out of my system taking rest whilst the AT33 PTG II is back in - which is where I usually finish up.

The only potential attraction I have left is the AT ART 7 or 9, but I'm again entering a price area where I've not had much success (probably developing an irrational complex about this).

There are a lot of Marmite cartridges out there.

The more I listen and read the more it comes home to me that the "Cart / Arm / Phono Stage" part of the system has to be considered as a whole. But it's a good starting point to get other's impressions as a directional guide - otherwise it's starting with nothing if you can't audition.

But having said all of that it's interesting that there are a few carts out there that seem to be almost universally accepted - DL103, Hana, Eroica, 2M Black. Rarely hear a voice raised in anger.

Funny old business isn't it.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Nari.

I have owned a few shelter cartridges over the years never been my thing, I dont get on with lyras what so ever. Koetsus have changed very much over the years they are not the warm lush cartridges they once were. I have had many of them from the 80,s to date they also are a bit inconsistent I have a heard two same models sound very different. I did hear a very nice 2018 Red Sig recently at a friends sound fresh not slow and boring with great bass and plenty of slam something you dont often expect from a Koetsu. The stone bodies are in a different class each body does sound very different then you get into the super big league 11.5k diamond cantilever versions that can be jaw dropping good. If using a 310 I would use the sme spacer as it adds extra mass and does work well with the koetsu I likes the older aluminium 310 with koetsus they sounded very much more vibrant than the later arm tubes.

I like the dynavectors mentioned earlier they are good honest nice sounding cartridges and generally seem to be quite consistent with samples while maybe not as consistent by ortofons standards that said I owned four MC Ana cartridges because of reliabilty and inconsistency issues. If one has a tonearm that accepts a SPU than they get my overall vote for best bang for your buck. I recently recommended a friend to purchase a Sme M9R with a Spu over a 310 that I have for his Michell Gyro overall he felt he got much more value for money sadly the M9R is not so popular but for me its a great way to get a lot of sound for your pound with a SPU without faffing around looking for audio perfection In a world over populated by rather thin bright sounding overpriced cartridges not to that they are some wonderful gems out there.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Mike.

Part of the reason for the Red K Sig's presentation is its healthy 0.5mV output, Nari. All the Urushis, Platinums and stone bodied Ks have much lower output. It took me a while to acclimatise from Black G to Urushi Vermillion. Blood and guts to delicacy and transparency.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Part of the reason for the Red K Sig's presentation is its healthy 0.5mV output, Nari. All the Urushis, Platinums and stone bodied Ks have much lower output. It took me a while to acclimatise from Black G to Urushi Vermillion. Blood and guts to delicacy and transparency.
    That is certainly true but I can assure you there is sample variation I at one point two Urushi blacks with consecutive numbers sound very different and when I see people comment on preowned cartridges without really knowing there history etc I shudder. I have also heard a change in the general koetsu presentation over the years. I remember my old sugano 80th anniversary years back and my jaws dropping with its sheer scale I then went to a kisiki lapis lazuli which was interesting the quest never ends.

I have heard poor red ks and stunning ones over the years I have had a fair few go through my hands. I will always have a soft spot for the brand even though ownership is rather expensive with high rebuild costs etc, I broke a blue onyx two years back and all I can say it was an arm and a leg to fix.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12