+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD: Xiang Sheng DAC 01A , fitted with a WE valve

I'm Tony.

I use a Xiang Sheng 01A and love it.

It arrived with a nasty channel imbalance that was fixed by replacing some of the cheapo no name caps around the DAC chip.

I've tried a few tube rolls but not the WE valve and much prefer the SS outputs into my tube amps....
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

lordmortlock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by meBob View Post
    Hello lordmortlock,

I seem to recall seeing your name on the Beresford threads a while back on the Caiman Seg (I might be wrong)? If not, I see you have a Xiang Sheng DAC-01A, I am curious about this dac/preamp and would be grateful for any info give of it compared to the SEG?

Cheers,
    Rob
    Morning Rob, hope you’re well. I had a few of Stans older models and very good they were too. I haven’t compared the two directly I’m afraid, and it’s many many years since I heard a Bdac, so I might not be of much help, sorry!

I'm Mike.

I've had 2 Xiangs and 1 SEG...... The SEG is still here

Mind you I really only bought the Xiangs as cheap pre amps, but one of them distorted on the volume when pushed hard, and I tried another one but the Promitheus TVC I had was better as a pre than the Xiang, ok I know it's primarily a DAC but I thought it was worth another try.

As a DAC I prefer the SEG ( mine is standard ).

Edit: oops just realised this is a wanted thread, feel free to delete.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    I use a Xiang Sheng 01A and love it.

It arrived with a nasty channel imbalance that was fixed by replacing some of the cheapo no name caps around the DAC chip.

I've tried a few tube rolls but not the WE valve and much prefer the SS outputs into my tube amps....
    So did Jerry until he bought a WE 396A off me.

I'm Rob.

Hello lordmortlock & mikeyb,

Thanks for your replies.

The dac 01a keeps popping up on this forum with mostly positive opinions, it caught my interest. It seems though, like a sideways move from the SEG, but a lot cheaper than the SEG with a similar sonic performance? As a dac on its own it looks like a bargain.

Looking at the internals though, there's fair bit crammed on to the circuit board and perhaps a few things that can go wrong.

I'm Don.

Hi Rob
    I'm on the verge of buying a new one...if you're at that stage, let me know where you'll be sourcing from...everyone and their mother is selling one on the bay...
    Or even check out this one...https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOHSTAR-Xia...xiangsheng+dac

Pls read description...I love the bit where is says..."Temperature is higher when tube amps working, placing attention to ventilation, cooling.In the boot or just shut down for a period of time (within 30 minutes) Do not spill liquid on the tubes. You should take about 100h time to operate the amp."

I've got second thoughts...

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    So did Jerry until he bought a WE 396A off me.
    Any links as to where to get one from?

BTW, I moved form a SEG to the XS and much prefer the XS...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
    Any links as to where to get one from?

BTW, I moved form a SEG to the XS and much prefer the XS...
    eBay USA. Nearly all the stock is there I am afraid.

Which is bad news but it is worth the money it will cost you, import tax rape, shipping and the rest.

I'm Mike.

I bought mine from eBay and used a German or Belgian seller, can't remember which, no tax of course and was under £110 Inc postage.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I bought mine from eBay and used a German or Belgian seller, can't remember which, no tax of course and was under £110 Inc postage.
    How many was that?

I paid $116.44 all charges included for two from the US.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast