+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD: Xiang Sheng DAC 01A , fitted with a WE valve

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulce Tones View Post
    Ah, thanks!
    Quite an array of different makes, numbers and prices ��
    Bendix 2c51 seems to get favourable opinion too.
    Also GE je 5670 which are much more affordable.
    RCA command 5670 gets a good mention..

A lot of talk here but which would sound best in the
    XS dac 01a..?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ge-j...e-936a.201062/
    I've tried the GE JAN 5670 and didn't think much of it to be honest...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Rob.

Hello Jerry,

I'm having a problemo with the 01A, I can only get it to play when using the analogue AUX in.

I decided to test it as a dac first using my Sony 770ES integrated, I took the optical out of my SEG and plugged it into the 01A and likewise the rca's from the SEG. The rca's were connected upto the 'NORMAL' output of the 01A, changed the selector to 'OPTICAL', switched everything on and absolute silence was all I could hear.

Had a quick think and then switched everything off and reconnected the optical and rca's to the SEG, switched everything back on again now I could hear Bob Dylan singing 'Oh Sister'.

The dac works through both tube & normal using rca's inputs but not through optical (with my setup atleast?).

As far as getting the preamp going, while looking at the preamp jumper pcb, it doesn't look like any of the boards in the pdf link featured below:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.p...ontrol.713060/

Without a specific manual for the version of the dac I wouldn't want to just randomly rearrange the jumpers and hope for the best?

Some pics of the pcb:

I'm Rob.

As far as sound quality goes, it wouldn't be fair to compare the SEG via optical to the 01A via rca and to add they're both being coloured / changed by the pre section of the 770ES.

It's a pity I couldn't test it via optical, my PC card has an option that passes raw pcm for the external dac to do its thing, but via rca the computer's dac interferes first.

The listening was done through my 770ES and not my Quad 405-2 power amp via preamp, the 405-2 is more neutral and with no pre section to get in the way, this would have been a worthy comparison between the SEG and 01A.

I'm gone.

Ah.
    I think I only used it with the RCA digital input.
    Sorry it's not working for you, just send it back, I'll pay your postage if you supply me BT or Paypal details.
    I'll send you my full address by PM.

I'm Rob.

Hello Jerry,

I'm grateful to you for your very kind offer of a loan of the dac and it's certainly not your fault it's become faulty.

I would have payed P&P anyway had it worked and I still feel the same way even if it hasn't worked.

Once again thanks for the kind loan.

Rob

I'm gone.

Can you check if the RCA digital input is still working, and if so maybe Don would like to try it so you could send it direct to him?

I'm Rob.

My soundcard only uses toslink or normal rca to the dac, I don't even own a coax digital cable or coax device except my SEG.

Sadly I Wouldn't be able to test it for RCA digital input.

I'm gone.

OK - I've sent Don a PM to see if he would like it forwarded on to him. Maybe he uses RCA digital, and maybe it still works!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    OK - I've sent Don a PM to see if he would like it forwarded on to him. Maybe he uses RCA digital, and maybe it still works!
    I'm sure he will have a CD player with a coax and if not he's welcome to bring it to mine for a listen.

I'm gone.

Don says he needs a TOSLINK connection, so unless anyone else fancies a crack at the coax input I'll ask Rob to return the xs to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast