+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting from scratch...

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Amp and speakers first! You need a pre-power combo, that's where I'd start.
    And don't forget some top quality stands for those Gales - get the best you can afford.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    And don't forget some top quality stands for those Gales - get the best you can afford.
    Got some Atacama nexus 6i which are really too big for the tiny Gales, but they do sound better on them.

Now, can someone please advise if ‘better’ speaker cables are going to make any difference in a cheap as chips system please?
    Last edited by icehockeyboy; 10-10-2018 at 11:43.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Dominic.

Yes
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Yes
    I must admit I was hoping for a recommendation...

I see you have a Lyngdorf amp, makes me wish I still had mine!
    Paired it with a Classe pre and they sounded sublime!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Grant.

maybe'ss aye, maybe's naw... alas its a suck it and see situation.. no doubt some will but there is no hard and fast rules bar the obvious ones. Ive tried lots of cables and found most of them different to some extent but not necessarily better.

might add my homemade ones are best ive used..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Craig.

Before I sold up my system I was using Talk Cable 3.1, and that was in a set up costing many times more, having gone up and down the price scale, so yes, agree on your thoughts, as to my ears they sounded as good as some prototype Chord Siggy cables that I acquired with a supposed RRP of £300 a metre, so I was told.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    B&W DM607 s2
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Steve.

Can you still get QED 79 strand? That was always recommended in the 80's, and probably quite cheap. If better cables are an itch you need to scratch, just go for it - unlikely to make things worse.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Phil.

got a lovely little system within walking distance of yourself which i really love , an 89 pound teac receiver/amp , revolver speakers at 150 quid and some heavy duty but cheap copper wire . i love it . always reminds me of what you can do with very little
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    I must admit I was hoping for a recommendation...

I see you have a Lyngdorf amp, makes me wish I still had mine!
    Paired it with a Classe pre and they sounded sublime!
    The Lyngdorf power amp is something I wish I had bought years ago. Even with a Rotel pre it sounds fabulous.

I gave a "yes" answer because even the cheapest system has no relevance at all to the quality of the cabling, because it is the wire itself that is the question. A cheap cable has flaws and is imperfect which ultimately affects and limits the sound, whereas a good/high quality cable has less flaws and will affect the sound less. The real question that people ask themselves is "how much am I prepared to pay for a quality cable for a budget system?" and without fail they always pay less than they should do and blame the system if the resulting sound does not please.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Gary.

Default £30 systen

I put together a fairly decent sounding system for the princely sum of £30.
    An Acoustic Solutions amp, free to collector on Gumtree, a pair of Celestion F1s £30 on Ebay, a 3.5mm to RCA lead and some old speaker cable I had already, just plugged a phone in via headphone socket & it sounded pretty good considering.
    Gave it to a young colleague when he moved into his own place & he was amazed at the sound having previously listened to music on a wireless speaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast