+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A list of PC Build Components to Rival a Server/Streamer

I'm Kevin.

You don’t need a serious PC for a music server/streamer.
    Although not the ultimate solution, I am using an old socket 775 based processor with an Asus Essence STX II sound card, and for the money it sounds really good. This is fed directly into my pre amp. You could probably do similar with your old PC?

If starting from scratch, I would go fanless PC for a music server with either Windows 10 seriously cut down on functionality, or Linux or similar. Then I would get a more serious PC for photo editing.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Damian.

Been there done that with both PCs, old laptops, Raspberry Pis etc and to be honest you might be better investing in a decent streamer (with Spotity, Tidal support) and attach your storage to your router and get the streamer to access that.....far, far less hassle. I'm not denying the build, the config and initial working is fun but it gets tedious with updates/patches and the constantly fiddling i was doing.

I'm James.

I have a Home Theatre PC in my living room which I also use for Oculus Rift gaming. My old Theta DAC doesn't have a USB input so the best method has been to employ an HDMI breakout box between the PC and the HT receiver. This sends S/PDIF straight to the Theta. Using WASAPI settings in Kodi it sounds better than my CXU streaming the same files
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Edward.

Tons of way of achieving what you want to do.

FWIW this is my current setup having in the past tried various combinations including one dual purpose machine for general stuff including photo editing, browsing, storage etc.

- Server: Xeon Win 10 machine with 20gb RAM serving as storage (music, vids, docs etc), running stuff like Roon Core, Plex, JRiver, VPN etc.

-Music/Vid renderer: Fanless/headless ITX Win 10 with 4gb RAM. all non essential programs/services turned off. One button operation. Music output USB to DAC, Vid output HDMI.

Different computer for editing, work, Skype etc

Main machines linked via Ethernet.

Main lesson I learnt was to split tasks to different machines (server, renderer etc), particularly true to obtain stutter free and high quality music/video output.

But as mentioned many other ways to achieve same outcomes.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Neil.

Default A list of PC Build Components to Rival a Server/Streamer

Photo editing is an area where most optimised media servers can fall a bit flat. For this reason I think a minimum of a Core i3 is necessary, and a dedicated graphics card. With a bit of attention to the power supply and a big enough passive heatsink for the PSU, it can be built fanless.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Grant.

My old i5 does everything. Lol

Music photos browsing vpn the lot. It has a fan. Both my monos have fans. Even the power inspired has a fan. Can get noisy. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ken.

[QUOTE=ReggieB;1019020]OK - so if you go the PC route - which way to go:

1. USB out - and if so what flavour of USB - 2 or 3. Also how to ensure cleanest signal - use motherboard sockets or is a child board a better option
    2. Or Sound card out?

Use neither, build a silent PC (fanless) and use the Pink Faun i2s Audio Bridge (PCIe card) and send the i2s to a good external DAC. Use Audirvana A+ Audio player as it turns off a lot of Windows services while playing music. You can also integrate some of the streaming services like Qobuz or Tidal into this player.

Its a route I have as a back up plan if I am not happy with the results from plan A. Which is......

An SBC into Allo Kali i2s re-clocker HAT, into Audio GD i2s line driver (HDMI socket), into my PS Audio Stellar DAC/Pre i2s input. Audio Player Options will need investigating using the actual set up. Just about to pull the trigger on the SBC (Odroid C2).

Do all your storage, which ever option, over a wired network (Gigabit) and attach a NAS unit attached to your Broadband router/hub. This avoids the need for any USB or SPDIF in the audio chain.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123