+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A list of PC Build Components to Rival a Server/Streamer

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Best in my system is ethernet to my rpi with its own hat dac It's pretty good at the32/192 I send it from av That doesn't stress my laptop too much Not saying it can't be bettered but at what cost? My system is minimal cost wise but not in sound imo
    I also use an Rpi with Digione HAT and I agree that the quality is incredible at the price. However, I think the OP was looking for a complete system that did not rely on sharing a PC used for other purposes. I agree that there is no need for a dedicated PC, but having said that I have just repurposed an Intel NUC as a dedicated AV system.

Geoff

I'm Grant.

Sorry I thought he wanted a dual purpose pc
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Best in my system is ethernet to my rpi with its own hat dac It's pretty good at the32/192 I send it from av That doesn't stress my laptop too much Not saying it can't be bettered but at what cost? My system is minimal cost wise but not in sound imo
    I stand corrected. I would still go for a NUC, though might be worth looking at an i7. One big advantage is space saving: they even come with a plate so that they can be mounted to the back of a tv or monitor (standard vesa fittings).

I have another NUC as my main PC although it looks somewhat incongruous underneath my 32 inch 4k PC monitor. I have a 500gb SSD fitted and it is totally silent in use. Except when I play music files of course!

Geoff

I'm stuart.

Split the requirement. An RPi3, Digione (£120 or so) or add an SSD for music side of things (about £250 total including a 500Gb SSD) and whatever you like for the rest. Honestly, to beat the Rpi3, Digione and SSD you need to spend a whopping amount of money and get negligible gain. I'm using this with about £15k worth of speaker/amp/DAC and it's just astonishing as to how well it performs.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    Split the requirement. An RPi3, Digione (£120 or so) or add an SSD for music side of things (about £250 total including a 500Gb SSD) and whatever you like for the rest. Honestly, to beat the Rpi3, Digione and SSD you need to spend a whopping amount of money and get negligible gain. I'm using this with about £15k worth of speaker/amp/DAC and it's just astonishing as to how well it performs.
    +1 though the OP is looking for a new PC anyway to replace a failing device!

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

I should add that the latest NUCs also support 4k video at 60HZ. I find this is great for watching movies and pictures taken with my 4k capable camera on my AOC 4k monitor. This may be of interest to the OP. Viewing and editing graphics on a 4k monitor is incredible.

Geoff

I'm John.

I am looking into a PC that plays a dual role, as the PC will be set up in the listening room.
    The HiFi will be put to more use if I work on my photography in the listening room.
    Hence going for digital files to be replayed, makes a much easier interface.
    I have been looking at the Moon Mind and with the used prices seen, it is a consideration.
    As stated in a previous thread, this method of replay is new to me, so learning about the options available is very important.
    Avoiding running two separate set ups seemed worth avoiding, as there are comments being made by some, relating to issues with ease of user interface when working directly from the PC, as a result a separate device is the chosen method.
    Where as some are content with their PC interface.
    I would like to know more about how a PC limits the user interface.
    As I have a PC with lots of unplayed music files stored on it, I am willing to get the experience rolling.
    In 2019, I will be looking to update the PC, this is when I will really need to be clear about the way I intend to replay music files, as it may have a effect on how the PC is produced.

I'm Grant.

Initially you could trial audirvana for windows and run a USB cable to your dac. Assuming it takes a USB of course. That will give u 2 weeks to see what you think. It will scan the folder in pc. It needs to be a 64 bit pc.

Failing that jriver will work on a 32bit pc and di a similar job although not quite as good sound it's still pretty good. It has a trial period too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

A NAS drive with built in computer could be an option?

I have a QNAP TS253 Pro 2 bay drive set to RAID 1. This means that the two discs are a mirror of each other. If one dies you can hot swap out the dead disk and the NAS then transfers a copy of your data other to the new disc. This NAS also has a built in computer that can KODI as well as some DNLA servers. You can control playback from a tablet or you can plug in a TV via the HDMI port and use a windows remote control to control Kodi. This could sort out the music playback side and it could store your photos too. A separate PC will be needed for photo editing but nothing too nuts is really required. I use a 5 year old 21” Imac with 8gb of memory and its fine.
    ~Paul~

I'm John.

The Intel NUC has become a interest to me, just for the size and being easily portable.
    The Laptop is regularly connected to the TV for photo viewing and Movies, and I told a half truth, as I have played stored Music files through the TV, so some are not unheard, as previously stated.
    The options being proposed are all to be investigated, all will be considered equally.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast