+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A list of PC Build Components to Rival a Server/Streamer

I'm John.

Default A list of PC Build Components to Rival a Server/Streamer

I'm hunting around for a while now looking for the answer to a Dilemma.
    My Laptop is now old and is more of a media access device. The need to be portable with a PC is not required. Storing valuable data on this Laptop is probably not the wisest of ideas. There is a off board Hard Drive stored with most of the files on it.

I would like a new PC in 2019 and a operating digital media system, i.e Server/Streamer,
    to work with my recently purchased DAC.
    I require a PC to support my photography and also play the role of a Server/Steamer.
    I have been searching around on the subject and the Self Build PC component list that follows may be a build that works for me.
    If any member with experience in this subject could cast a eye over the build and comment, as always it will be very much appreciated.
    I have always been led to believe more RAM is preferred for photo editing, with 16RAM being the goal.
    Just out of curiosity how big would the required case be for a build like the one listed.

If a diy server appeals to you, this would be my advice:

* Streacom fc5 or 10 350

* small Intel celeron motherboard 170

* 4gb ram 50

*sata 2 ssd with Sotm sata 2 filter 100

* sotm txusbexp card with sclk clock 700

* sotm sps500 power supply (4 pin molex on motherboard to power supply by Canare twisted pair dc cable) 650

* windows server 2016 50

* audiophile Optimizer including bios settings as recommanded in manual 120

* 3M emi paper 100

Sub 2.5K for a killer system straight into your dac by usb

I'm Grant.

My Laptop gives sterling service, both as a laptop and a media player/streamer. Currently using Audirvana or Jriver and pushing it to either a headphone dac or a main dac via wire, or my rpi and oppo wirelessly. Sound is fab and it can handle it although I would say get as much processing power, storage, RAM and connections as your budget allows. a shop bought one will work fine with win 10 with most things.
    I use an HP Pavilion and have not had any issues since it went onto win 10 .. think it has 6gb ram and has an i5 processor so not the latest by any means. i use its processing power to upsample and then send out.
    Not to say you wont do better if you go the whole hog and do it yourself, but i cant fault what i hear
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Awaiting the thousands of different ideas you're gonna get, so many permutations, but..

If it was me I'd either have a mini silent pc to handle the the audio side and a proper PC for my photo editing etc.

In fact I'd recommend an SoTm SMS Network Audio adapter to handle the audio ( IF you already have a DAC ), my one can use the Nas for my collection, it can play Qobuz, Tidal, Google Play, Spotify, Roon TuneinRadio if you have an Android device to control it. Very versatile and well supported by SoTm with regular updates and are very good to fix issues once reported. My used one was under £300.

I also have 2 Raspberry Pi setups available but the SoTm beats them both.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I'm hunting around for a while now looking for the answer to a Dilemma.
    My Laptop is now old and is more of a media access device. The need to be portable with a PC is not required. Storing valuable data on this Laptop is probably not the wisest of ideas. There is a off board Hard Drive stored with most of the files on it.

I would like a new PC in 2019 and a operating digital media system, i.e Server/Streamer,
    to work with my recently purchased DAC.
    I require a PC to support my photography and also play the role of a Server/Steamer.
    I have been searching around on the subject and the Self Build PC component list that follows may be a build that works for me.
    If any member with experience in this subject could cast a eye over the build and comment, as always it will be very much appreciated.
    I have always been led to believe more RAM is preferred for photo editing, with 16RAM being the goal.
    Just out of curiosity how big would the required case be for a build like the one listed.

If a diy server appeals to you, this would be my advice:

* Streacom fc5 or 10 350

* small Intel celeron motherboard 170

* 4gb ram 50

*sata 2 ssd with Sotm sata 2 filter 100

* sotm txusbexp card with sclk clock 700

* sotm sps500 power supply (4 pin molex on motherboard to power supply by Canare twisted pair dc cable) 650

* windows server 2016 50

* audiophile Optimizer including bios settings as recommanded in manual 120

* 3M emi paper 100

Sub 2.5K for a killer system straight into your dac by usb
    Sounds like overkill to me. Have you looked at the Intel NUC. A latest gen model with generous sized SSD and 16gb of DDR4 ram is more than up to the job for much less. Can be used as headless system with Windows app too!

Geoff

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Sounds like overkill to me. Have you looked at the Intel NUC. A latest gen model with generous sized SSD and 16gb of DDR4 ram is more than up to the job for much less. Can be used as headless system with Windows app too!

Geoff
    Yup that's what I was thinking too, a NUC would be ideal and keep the music side completely away from the main PC.

I'm John.

I have the intention to create a digital replay system and after the recently added DAC experience, the idea of exploring the digital domain further is of great interest.
    I put the list of components up for scrutiny as I have not found much discussion on the subject of building a dedicated PC, so far this has been the only clear guidance and I was hoping to receive alternative options, which has been offered.
    I will need to spend time with a computer builder and layout the directives that will be offered, working to combine a PC that meets both of my user needs.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I have the intention to create a digital replay system and after the recently added DAC experience, the idea of exploring the digital domain further is of great interest.
    I put the list of components up for scrutiny as I have not found much discussion on the subject of building a dedicated PC, so far this has been the only clear guidance and I was hoping to receive alternative options, which has been offered.
    I will need to spend time with a computer builder and layout the directives that will be offered, working to combine a PC that meets both of my user needs.
    Something like this (with the 8th gen processor) would be perfect. You don't need to go for the i7 model with enhanced graphics. Definitely worth investing in 16gb of DDR4 memory though. This is a fanless model so no problem with positioning.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...nuc8i5bek.html

Geoff

I'm Rob.

OK - so if you go the PC route - which way to go:

1. USB out - and if so what flavour of USB - 2 or 3. Also how to ensure cleanest signal - use motherboard sockets or is a child board a better option
    2. Or Sound card out?

For me if you're going USB out, the computer route is just boring. You might as well go for the Raspberry Pi option, which personally has given me hours of pleasant tinkering.

So how good can a sound card be? How good is something like an Asus Xonar Essence STX II? Would it give an output on a par with decent Hi-Fi.

As for me I'm an IT professional and find using a PC as source just too much like hard work. My Moon 180 Mind and decent DAC sound better and are much nicer to use when all I want to do is select some music and sit back and listen.

Oh and the thought of spending £2.5k on a computer audio system, and then putting Window Server 2006 on it is just mind boggling - so much bloatware running in the background - great if you want a workgroup server - but for such a narrow requirement as being a music service it's not a great OS choice. Surely Linux.
    Rob.