+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest Greatest Upgrade to Caiman SEG

I'm AndrewR.

I just bought the firmware upgrade and Dorado, which should be arriving tomorrow. This is for my Caiman II.

Does anyone know:

* Is the firmware upgrade something to use in order to ensure compatibility with the Dorado?
    * Or is the firmware an independent upgrade from the Dorado and worth A/B sound testing before trying out the Dorado?

Cheers,

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    I just bought the firmware upgrade and Dorado, which should be arriving tomorrow. This is for my Caiman II.

Does anyone know:

* Is the firmware upgrade something to use in order to ensure compatibility with the Dorado?
    * Or is the firmware an independent upgrade from the Dorado and worth A/B sound testing before trying out the Dorado?

Cheers,

Andrew
    No
    Yes

Just play some complex music composition. Then try some classic guitar, piano concerto etc. You'll soon hear the difference. The added benefit is that the Dorado also improves the headphone output.

I'm AndrewR.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Just play some complex music composition. Then try some classic guitar, piano concerto etc. You'll soon hear the difference. The added benefit is that the Dorado also improves the headphone output.
    Will do. Looking forward to Friday. I’ll report back on the individual upgrades - firmware first, then Dorado.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm Stephen.

I fitted the SEG 30 chip today and also installed the Dorado. I now use my “Chinese” 15v LPSU to power the Dorado which then powers the SEG releasing the much better LongDog MCRU 15v LPSU to power the Capella. Prior to the arrival of the Dorado it was the other way around. I left things a few hours to warm up before any listening,

Anyway, despite suffering the tail end of a head cold the improvement the Dorado brings to the table is IMO immense.

Earlier in the day I had a quick listen to Thea Gilmore on CD through amp and speakers. My first thoughts were “clarity”. The music just seems so “clean” with a much larger dynamic range. A bit like back in the day playing the half speed master version of your favourite vinyl album compared to the standard pressing. Simply more of everything and more musical.

Earlier this evening I put a DVD movie through - I had to reduce the volume from my normal position because the bass was so powerful!

I’m currently streaming my favourite iPhone playlist so I know it well and listening with Beyer Dynamic DT990 600 ohm headphones (it’s late) driven by the Capella. Not the easiest ‘phones to drive properly. But they have never sounded better. This is what they should sound like but previously have come up a bit short in the all important “foot tapping” area. The dynamics are truly impressive. Bass is incredibly deep and controlled yet the really fine background detail like snare drums or shakers is not drowned out - these aspects of the mix have more clarity than pre-Dorado. There is no over emphasis of any particular instrument or frequency. Tracks I know well sound the best I’ve ever heard on my system. Clearly, some of the improvement listening through the Beyers will be down to the LongDog LPSU replacing the "Chinese" one driving the Capella but I'd heard all of these differences earlier through the Crofts/Epos M22i's.

TBH I am finding it difficult to describe the finer points of the music because I keep getting dragged back to just listening. It’s a big bold statement but the addition of the Dorado really does allow you to just listen to the music and not the kit.

I have no idea what the little box is doing or how it works but at less than £100 including the SEG 30 it’s arguably the best, most cost effective upgrade ever.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by worrasf; 11-10-2018 at 22:57.
    Always a little further

I'm Jerry.

[QUOTE=worrasf;1020592]

I have no idea what the little box is doing or how it works but at less than £100 including the SEG 30 it’s arguably the best, most cost effective upgrade ever.

Steve

Is the Dorado less than £100? If so, I'm right there!

I'm Adam.

Only a small point but does the Dorado come with a fly lead to connect its output to a SEG?

Also I get the idea that you effectively charge up the Dorado from your own PSU (in my case a Chinese Linear 15v job). Once the Dorado's green light comes on do you leave the supplying PSU on (or is there an advantage to switching off the supplying PSU and letting the Dorado do the work?).....

Sorry if I am misunderstanding how the Dorado works (I am just trying to get my head round what it can do).
    Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    Only a small point but does the Dorado come with a fly lead to connect its output to a SEG?

Also I get the idea that you effectively charge up the Dorado from your own PSU (in my case a Chinese Linear 15v job). Once the Dorado's green light comes on do you leave the supplying PSU on (or is there an advantage to switching off the supplying PSU and letting the Dorado do the work?).....

Sorry if I am misunderstanding how the Dorado works (I am just trying to get my head round what it can do).
    Yes the Dorado ships with a DC to DC flylead.
    Yes you charge up the Dorado with either the optional low noise linear charger, or use your own linear PSU.

I have around 20 pieces left in stock, so you better hurry if you want to get hold of one before the next delivery next month.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post

No you keep it plugged in when in use
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    No you keep it plugged in when in use
    Good observation. I do get lost in too many questions in the same sentence...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast