+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Cap DR - For Supernait 2 - Damn It !

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default Hi-Cap DR - For Supernait 2 - Damn It !

I have mentioned before that I would never add a power supply to anything Naim.... I just didn't like the idea of it and it all sounded a bit of a 'con' to me

However I was just too curious so I've just purchased a like new and lightly used Hi-Cap DR to try out on the Supernait 2

Some people actually prefer the SN2 by itself but others have mentioned it does wonders for it so we will see

I don't normally change my mind but who knows

I got the Hi-Cap DR at a super price so if I don't think it adds anything to the SN2 then it'd be no problem selling it on so nothing to loose by trying it I guess
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Phil.

Sn2 was my first naim amp and very impressive holographic sound I must say. Be interesting to see is psu makes much difference
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    Sn2 was my first naim amp and very impressive holographic sound I must say. Be interesting to see is psu makes much difference
    Thanks Phil

I also love how the SN2 sounds. I reckon that it probably doesn't sound like Naim of old as there is absolutely no harshness to it's sound like I remember previous Naim amps

I know a lot of people on the Naim forum prefer the SN2 without the Hi-Cap but I just could not resist the temptation to try it out

I will report back next week once I've tried it out, can't wait... how sad is that
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Mikkel.

Good call I think. I run a SN 2 with a Teddycap and the Naim DAC with Teddycap XPS.

I like the addition of External PSUs very much. Tighter, deeper and more calm, along with increased and very smooth resolution.

Curious how you'd find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I have mentioned before that I would never add a power supply to anything Naim.... I just didn't like the idea of it and it all sounded a bit of a 'con' to me

However I was just too curious so I've just purchased a like new and lightly used Hi-Cap DR to try out on the Supernait 2

Some people actually prefer the SN2 by itself but others have mentioned it does wonders for it so we will see

I don't normally change my mind but who knows

I got the Hi-Cap DR at a super price so if I don't think it adds anything to the SN2 then it'd be no problem selling it on so nothing to loose by trying it I guess
    If it improves on current delivery and power output it will be worth it when you get your new Maggies!

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Riislingen View Post
    Good call I think. I run a SN 2 with a Teddycap and the Naim DAC with Teddycap XPS.

I like the addition of External PSUs very much. Tighter, deeper and more calm, along with increased and very smooth resolution.

Curious how you'd find it.
    Hi Mikkel
    I've just looked at the prices for Teddy Pardo PSU's and they are much lower than the equivalent Naim version. The Teddy version of the Hi-Cap is only £350 compared to the Naim at £1,400. I have no idea how the Teddy would compare to the Hi-Cap though but there is certainly a big difference in their weight as the Teddy is about 2kg compared to the Naim at about 7kg

I also own the Naim Dac and hadn't thought about a PSU for that
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    If it improves on current delivery and power output it will be worth it when you get your new Maggies!

Geoff
    I actually don't know if the Hi-Cap improves on current delivery etc but I'm sure it can't hurt
    Bev

I'm Mikkel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Hi Mikkel
    I've just looked at the prices for Teddy Pardo PSU's and they are much lower than the equivalent Naim version. The Teddy version of the Hi-Cap is only £350 compared to the Naim at £1,400. I have no idea how the Teddy would compare to the Hi-Cap though but there is certainly a big difference in their weight as the Teddy is about 2kg compared to the Naim at about 7kg

I also own the Naim Dac and hadn't thought about a PSU for that
    Hey Bev,

Yeah, he is aggressively priced. Teddy's PSUs were always built with DR technology, where Naim only started implementing that over the recent years.

There are folks that prefer either, as well as preferring no external PSU. I believe they perform at par and add similar changes to the sound signature.

After all, it's just a transformer, couple of caps and a discreet regulator. Considering that, Naim's retail price seems steep indeed - then again that was always the case.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If I read that Naim was possibly to be used with Maggies, I'd say not to unless you play at very low volumes indeed or believe harshness and hard clipping is 'loud.'. All the Maggies I've ever known EAT power amps for breakfast and an experience last year confirmed to me at any rate that nothing's changed here. It's my still current view that the more hundreds of clean Watts you can give them the better - totally the opposite of the Klipsch once owned, which go loud on the end of a transistor radio... Naim NEVER did loud and still don't in my opinion without hard distortion coming in, even the more refined current crop - again as of a year ago...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    If I read that Naim was possibly to be used with Maggies, I'd say not to unless you play at very low volumes indeed or believe harshness and hard clipping is 'loud.'. All the Maggies I've ever known EAT power amps for breakfast and an experience last year confirmed to me at any rate that nothing's changed here. It's my still current view that the more hundreds of clean Watts you can give them the better - totally the opposite of the Klipsch once owned, which go loud on the end of a transistor radio... Naim NEVER did loud and still don't in my opinion without hard distortion coming in, even the more refined current crop - again as of a year ago...
    I am using 290w per channel monoblocks with my Maggies and that works well though they could clearly take twice that output without difficulty. I agree with your "current view".
    Magnepan have gone for a numerical naming system for their panels. They should consider naming them as the Audrey series. Mine are definitely as hungry for "juice" as Audrey II!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast