+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best isolating feet for turntable plinth?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Ah - OK, so the wall won't save me!

I think I'll approach things in stages - the plinth itself will be large and heavy, and I'll fit it with solid feet (probably oak cones). So firstly I'll experiment with the dampening properties of the plinth itself, and from there experiment with different methods of isolating the TT if needed.
    Errr.. I think we maybe taking things to the extreme...
    A TT on a well designed wall shelf fixed to a sturdy (Not stud) wall will pretty much isolate it from room traffic vibrations
    And anything else that would potentially compromise the sound. Had one for years with a suspension based TT and it worked incredibly well, as expected.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Errr.. I think we maybe taking things to the extreme...
    A TT on a well designed wall shelf fixed to a sturdy (Not stud) wall will pretty much isolate it from room traffic vibrations
    And anything else that would potentially compromise the sound. Had one for years with a suspension based TT and it worked incredibly well, as expected.
    Actually not. There is usually a great deal of vibration passed up through the house walls from passing pedestrians, traffic, as well as from internal sources like washing machines, pumps etc. A record player is a very sensitive vibration measuring device - it would not play records if that was not the case, and it is incredibly susceptible to external vibration. A suspended deck on a wall shelf is inherently fairly immune because it has sprung suspension, so the sensitive bits ought to be well isolated. A solid deck, however massy, is most definitely not immune and some form of isolation placed between the deck and the wall shelf is therefore a good thing.

There’s nothing foo nor fancy about this, just basic physics, and basic mass-spring theory is your saviour.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Actually not. There is usually a great deal of vibration passed up through the house walls from passing pedestrians, traffic, as well as from internal sources like washing machines, pumps etc. A record player is a very sensitive vibration measuring device - it would not play records if that was not the case, and it is incredibly susceptible to external vibration. A suspended deck on a wall shelf is inherently fairly immune because it has sprung suspension, so the sensitive bits ought to be well isolated. A solid deck, however massy, is most definitely not immune and some form of isolation placed between the deck and the wall shelf is therefore a good thing.

There’s nothing foo nor fancy about this, just basic physics, and basic mass-spring theory is your saviour.
    Point taken Hugo, I had a suspension deck on the wall shelf, which is why I said it was very effective.. OP will be using a solid mass plinth based deck.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Drew.

A spring-based isolation platform should be fairly simple to DIY for little money, not sure it's necessary to spend £££ to achieve similar results. A thin base plus something like these perhaps? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-HiFi-S...0AAOSwA3dYWpti
    Last edited by da2222; 06-10-2018 at 22:05.

I'm Nick.

Out of interest, Adam, how do you have your 401 situated? I know you have an RC cherry plinth - do you have it isolated somehow? Did you fit feet to the plinth?

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    A spring-based isolation platform should be fairly simple to DIY for little money, not sure it's necessary to spend £££ to achieve similar results. A thin base plus something like these perhaps? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-HiFi-S...0AAOSwA3dYWpti
    Spring isolators are not technically difficult to DIY and Keith Howard even wrote an article about this in one of the mags last year. The difficult part is actually in the practical implementation and particularly ensuring that any springs are stable in use, and won't wobble all over the place.

I'm Paul.

This info may be helpful for going down the compliant isolation route. I still think that the mass approach is the best to try at first because it is easier and cheaper to test, bags of sand, paving slabs, sheets of metal, etc.. it will look like a dogs dinner while testing but after you can invest in nicer things afterwards. The isolation route is a bit more complicated and I am not sure how you would need to deal with the uneven weight distribution of a 401. Maybe you have to add weights to even it all out or maybe the there are platforms that can deal with this but adjusting a spung platform to be level wil throw out the isolation I think.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Isolation-Info
    ~Paul~

I'm Mike.

I'm a bit late to this party but i use the SRM Tech silent base on my Planar 3, it does a fantastic job in keeping vibration from the plinth and it also allows you to decouple the motor from the plinth too which on a Rega deck is normally attached directly to the underside of the plinth.

The base sits on 3 conical feet and is made from 10mm acrylic, the 3 feet from the Rega plinth are removed and the whole deck sits on 3 sorbothane domes, there is a circular rubber cup on the acrylic base and the motor is removed from the plinth and is held securely in the cup.

In my opinion it does a fantastic job in removing not only motor noise but also external vibration. think it cost me £125 and it has transformed the Rege.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Hugo.

Uneven mass can be addressed by specifying different stiffness for each supporting spring so the fundamental resonance remains the same all round. That’s precisely why Townshend will make platforms with different spec pods to suit individual applications where mass distribution varies, eg valve amplifiers as well as turntables.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    This info may be helpful for going down the compliant isolation route. I still think that the mass approach is the best to try at first because it is easier and cheaper to test, bags of sand, paving slabs, sheets of metal, etc.. it will look like a dogs dinner while testing but after you can invest in nicer things afterwards. The isolation route is a bit more complicated and I am not sure how you would need to deal with the uneven weight distribution of a 401. Maybe you have to add weights to even it all out or maybe the there are platforms that can deal with this but adjusting a spung platform to be level wil throw out the isolation I think.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...Isolation-Info

I'm Nick.

So... in terms of hard coupling, is there anything the Stillpoint Ultras can do that a simple hardwood cone can't, and at a fraction of the cost?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast