+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linux Mint - Mate version need some help

I'm Mike.

Default Linux Mint - Mate version need some help

I'm new to Linux and have started with Linux Mint Mate as it is a relatively light version of Mint and not too complicated. I like the look and operation of it and have been quite impressed. Have installed DeadBeef as my music player at the moment which is good and looks a bit like Foobar. I'm using a usb connected Teac UD501 dac which is recognised ok. Unfortunately DeadBeef doesn't play SACD ISOs or DSF file types. To play these files I downloaded Strawberry Media Player which should be suitable according to the spec. I installed it but when ever I double click to open it, it crashes. Can anyone help or suggest any things to try. Thanks

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoydmt View Post
    I'm new to Linux and have started with Linux Mint Mate as it is a relatively light version of Mint and not too complicated. I like the look and operation of it and have been quite impressed. Have installed DeadBeef as my music player at the moment which is good and looks a bit like Foobar. I'm using a usb connected Teac UD501 dac which is recognised ok. Unfortunately DeadBeef doesn't play SACD ISOs or DSF file types. To play these files I downloaded Strawberry Media Player which should be suitable according to the spec. I installed it but when ever I double click to open it, it crashes. Can anyone help or suggest any things to try. Thanks
    The problem is the permission to output from a SACD disc - then as a digital copy, a bit like asking the Queen on a cold day, to use her socks. K3B is one ( of quite a few ) of the best transcoders,
    Sound converter and Arista being others. In hardware devices a DBX Quantum, can usually remove the do not copy flag inherent in the disc.

Strawberry media player appears not to be a .deb - Debian file or a Ubuntu developed debian file. You would need an emulation program like wine to run executable type files in Linux. You are though much better
    either to use mint's software manager or indeed its usual alternative Synaptic package manager, as linux designated applications, will then run properly. if they do not you are free to modify the file to improve it for
    everyone's benefit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJi2rkHiNqg You should contact the package maintainer out of courtesy, and see if others are similarly trying to improve any given file.
    Last edited by Light Dependant Resistor; 04-10-2018 at 17:06.

I'm Mike.

Thanks for your reply much appreciated. I have wine already installed so how would I use it to open Strawberry media player? I believe Strawberry requires vlc which I have also again I'm not sure of its relevance. When I play sacd isos and dsf files I don't want to resample them but play them unaltered like I do in JRiver and Foobar on my Windows setup.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoydmt View Post
    Thanks for your reply much appreciated. I have wine already installed so how would I use it to open Strawberry media player? I believe Strawberry requires vlc which I have also again I'm not sure of its relevance. When I play sacd isos and dsf files I don't want to resample them but play them unaltered like I do in JRiver and Foobar on my Windows setup.
    You would right mouse click and select open with in this case Wine. VLC is a excellent platform as well. Unlikely though strawberry would lean on or use parts of VLC
    so not sure why they require. Also look at the many media players available - Banshee Clementine Amarok to name a few. Also maybe Cozy ( usually for audio books)
    and Media player. you may get a prompt for installing additional software such as gstreamer plugins. Also look at forums in mint.

I'm Mike.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread