+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dorado psu

The SEG upgrades are based on using it at 15V, and preferably a linear one at that. The stock PSU is not a linear PSU.
    The Dorado can be bought with a very low cost linear PSU charger that can produce a 12V or 15V output that is suitable to energize the Dorado. Or alternatively you can use your own linear 12V or 15V power supply.

I'm tony.

When I get the Dorado im hoping to try it with a Stan modified seg/standard seg and a caiman mk2.

my thinking is the dorado is like a fancy battery supply-super caps holding a reserve of power like a hydro electric system....doesn't matter what the river feeding it is like, just that the loch is full of water to run down the mountainside to drive the turbines...if that makes sense!

its quite an exciting new take on power supplies....will post my impressions on what it does both with cans and a full rig.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    When I get the Dorado im hoping to try it with a Stan modified seg/standard seg and a caiman mk2.

my thinking is the dorado is like a fancy battery supply-super caps holding a reserve of power like a hydro electric system....doesn't matter what the river feeding it is like, just that the loch is full of water to run down the mountainside to drive the turbines...if that makes sense!

its quite an exciting new take on power supplies....will post my impressions on what it does both with cans and a full rig.
    Good stuff Tony, interested to hear how you get on.
    Need to get over for a listen, sounds like you’ve took quite a step up.

Computer power supplies can be funny things.
    The normal operating current can be a specific value, but on powering up it charges it’s power factor controller capacitors, which can cause a current inrush of far more amps.
    Which is why you need a beefier supply than what the specs might tell you.

Anyways, welcome to ‘propa’ computer audio.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm tony.

Stan,

Is working on it....

I'm tony.

Looks good Stan....

I'm Grant.

might well do a decent job with phono stages like mine which is 12v
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    might well do a decent job with phono stages like mine which is 12v
    If you can charge up the Dorado with your original 12V PSU, if it has a higher current output than the charger I can supply with it, then it is well worth giving it a go. I have tried it on the phono preamps that I used to sell, and I was amazed how much of an upgrade in sound I got.
    Money back guarantee as usual if it doesn't work for you, but be prepared for a big grin on your face.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    If you can charge up the Dorado with your original 12V PSU, if it has a higher current output than the charger I can supply with it, then it is well worth giving it a go. I have tried it on the phono preamps that I used to sell, and I was amazed how much of an upgrade in sound I got.
    Money back guarantee as usual if it doesn't work for you, but be prepared for a big grin on your face.
    will consider it Stan.. will await a price going up first as i will have to save for it. currently using a battery although the smps is not bad on this one its not as good as a battery. great idea tho Stan.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm tony.

I reckon t amps might also benefit....I still have temple audio mono blocks and a mini t to play with.

I had a couple of years running dac/t amps off the grid-loved it to bits, Stan was really helpful getting me started....

this new Dorado has really got me thinking again!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast