+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dorado psu

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The 12V setting on the Dorado is for the Caiman MKII and the Bushmaster MKI & MKII
    Hi StanleyB. My Dorado is en route. I was going to use it with the supplied PSU for my Caiman II GFU. I also have a Hynes 15V supply available. Could I use this, or does the Dorado negate any differences in upstream PSU?

Cheers, Simon.

I'm AndrewR.

I just got the SEG-30 firmware chip and dorado.

Just trying the firmware upgrade chip out on my Caiman II and massive WOW...

It keeps what I love and prefer about the Caiman II (tonality and bass and smooth undistorted treble) and adds more definition, clarity, ambienc and scale.... wow, just WOW!

Listening right now and it is making it hard for me to type this on my iPad.

AND YET I HAVE STILL TO TRY OUT THE DORADO!!!

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm AndrewR.

The 12V setting on the Dorado is for the Caiman MKII and the Bushmaster MKI & MKII ( I am still fine tuning the firmware for each if those). At 12V the SEG is not firing on all cylinders. At 12V on a battery things get even worse when used with the Dorado. On a battery with a low ampere per hour discharge rate the 12V battery is just not fast enough in its ability to supply energy to the Dorado for the Dorado to do its stuff. So the Dorado doesn't get activated properly when used with a 12V battery.
    Okay I am a little confused here. I have just received the Dorado and not yet plugged it into my Caiman mkII with SEG-30 installed. Should I set the Dorado to 12V or 15V? My linear PSU is 15V.

Will waitt for your response while I am marvelling at the impact of the SEG-30 on my Caiman mkII.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

Quote Originally Posted by simonh View Post
    Hi StanleyB. My Dorado is en route. I was going to use it with the supplied PSU for my Caiman II GFU. I also have a Hynes 15V supply available. Could I use this, or does the Dorado negate any differences in upstream PSU?
    I personally don't recommend that the Dorado is used with a switched mode power supply, which is what I normally sell the standard Bushmaster and Caiman DACs with. But some people have given it a try with the SMPS on the Bushmaster and Caiman MKII, with no ill effects. I do offer a linear PSU to go with the Dorado, and that is definitely the absolute minimum to use if you have an SEG.
    The reason I mention not to use the switched mode PSU with the Dorado is because some of the micro detail in the high frequency are masked by SMPS noise. Mind you, many people would probably not be listening out for detail at that sort of low level.

If the Hynes is a linear PSU, then give that a try with the Dorado.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Okay I am a little confused here. I have just received the Dorado and not yet plugged it into my Caiman mkII with SEG-30 installed. Should I set the Dorado to 12V or 15V? My linear PSU is 15V.

Will waitt for your response while I am marvelling at the impact of the SEG-30 on my Caiman mkII.

Andrew
    If it is the Caiman MKII that you got, then you can use it at 12 or 15V. Some people say it sounds better at 15V. It won't damage the Caiman MKII since that it was designed to be used at 12 and 15V.

I'm AndrewR.

If it is the Caiman MKII that you got, then you can use it at 12 or 15V. Some people say it sounds better at 15V. It won't damage the Caiman MKII since that it was designed to be used at 12 and 15V.
    Thank you, Stan
    Andrew Randle

I'm Simon.

If the Hynes is a linear PSU, then give that a try with the Dorado.
    I believe the Paul Hynes SR15-03 is a linear PSU. I have it plugged into the Dorado, but have no LED lighting up.

I'm Andy.

I've just ordered my Dorado and I'll see what it does to the SEG in a day or two

If I have a 12v regulated LPSU feeding a 12v Netgear switch (for the network), would the Dorado set to 12v work in between those two, or does it require a component with the firmware to do anything useful? I can obviously experiment, but I don't want to break anything. I've discovered the quality of the switch is important for my Bluesound Node 2, although it makes almost no difference to my Oppo BDP103.

Quote Originally Posted by simonh View Post
    I believe the Paul Hynes SR15-03 is a linear PSU. I have it plugged into the Dorado, but have no LED lighting up.
    Try the info at http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7320%20qa.htm first. It will take at least two minutes before the LED might start to come on slowly. And then it can take another 30 minutes before it ever makes it to green.
    If its till doesn't fire up, email me. I repeat EMAIL me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    I've just ordered my Dorado and I'll see what it does to the SEG in a day or two

If I have a 12v regulated LPSU feeding a 12v Netgear switch (for the network), would the Dorado set to 12v work in between those two, or does it require a component with the firmware to do anything useful? I can obviously experiment, but I don't want to break anything. I've discovered the quality of the switch is important for my Bluesound Node 2, although it makes almost no difference to my Oppo BDP103.
    I hate repeating myself, but I am having to. The SEG should be used at 15V with the Dorado.
    I think that I am going to change the sales option on my site, thereby forcing everyone to buy the optional charger for the Dorado, whether they need it or not. The charger will give you 15V if you don't have a 15V power supply.
    The 12V option on the Dorado is for the Bushmaster and the Caiman MKII.
    The Dorado has to be plugged in to the DAC directly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast