+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OTL

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Lol aye, be nearly half the cost of the amps!
    I figured it might be something like that Ali. Mind you, there are some monster prices for 300B's.

I'm Peter.

Cheers Peter, looking forward to getting these built.

Ali, Doesn’t the best deserve the BEST how about Shuguang 300B-T Tubes (Black Tulip) only Ł282 matched pair. Lol.

It would look very sexy on or off!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Lol maybe, but would get a bit pricey buying eight!

From reading the Transcendent forum JJ’s seem to be the best choice. Can’t use mesh plates.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I figured it might be something like that Ali. Mind you, there are some monster prices for 300B's.
    Aye you’re not wrong.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Clive.

At least mesh plates are banned from Pinnacle so that's some cash saved! It should be possible to do a deal on 8 JJs. If I go ahead too maybe it could be 16JJs to entice a good deal.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Sounds like a plan Clive, PM if you have a good source.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

Over the years I have been intrigued by OTL designs, but being uneducated I felt that electronic failures could result in more easy damage to speakers ( no transformers to act as a cushion). Have I got this wrong?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm inthescottishmafia.

In this case yes. The Mini Beast I’m using at the moment has caps on the output that will prevent DC reaching the speakers, and each channel is fused in case of a short in a valve. I’ve hunted the Transcendent forum and can’t find a single instance of speaker damage caused by amp failure, and Bruce has been selling these types of amps for many years.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Chris.

In this case yes. The Mini Beast I’m using at the moment has caps on the output that will prevent DC reaching the speakers, and each channel is fused in case of a short in a valve. I’ve hunted the Transcendent forum and can’t find a single instance of speaker damage caused by amp failure, and Bruce has been selling these types of amps for many years.
    Sounds good Ali
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, seem very reliable to me, I’ve been using my Mini Beast for a couple of years or more, for the last year it’s used several hours a day as I run the telly through it as well. It’s never put a foot wrong apart from once blowing it’s mains fuse due to my mains running at over 250v(!). Switch on surge I guess. Replaced the fuse with a slightly higher value and it’s been fine since.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast