+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best £20 I've spent on HiFi

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Choosing the correct load type appears rather problematic with equipment of uneven weight spread, for example, valve amps sporting trannies at the rear. I'd estimate my power amp is circa 30kg with most weight concentrated at the rear. Going a size or 2 down for the front support isn't an option as the height of the sorbothane supports are different the lower the load they are intended to support...
    In this case I would probably use two hemispheres at the back corners, and one in the front middle. Ideally you make contact with the case, not the feet.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Tim.

Ok so I got the multiple sorbothane discs in the mail box to trial different combinations. My amp only weights some 13 Kg (40 Watts) but had to try with 1 or 2 layers of sorbothane discs (4.5 Kg per disc) as by the seller's max weight capacity for one disc I was at the limit... Plus the fact that weight is distributed unevenly in the amp. Anyway, I first tried with 2 layers of sorbothane disc per feet.

Shocking ! My 2-D sound became 1-D and my highs thin and "hairy" while the bass was "boomy"; ugly ! Tried with one layer; less accentuated but to a result that sounded like nothing. I was afraid something happened to my stylus in the meantime... So I took the sorbothane discs off and thank God, got my good sound back. So on my configuration, such isolation under the amp is a no-no.

So that is true, what is happening there, at the bottom/feet contact of the amp with it's support do hugely affect the playback sound. Mind you that I have learn to love the "decoupling" design and principle of "using" the good resonances of both my SME3009 tonearm and Thorens TD14x-16x turntable (rather than to struggle with over damping of everything) and I did my tweaks in that sense...
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm Neil.

Default Best £20 I've spent on HiFi

I use some Black Ravioli pads under my amp, like yours mine is unevenly balanced, and these don’t compress under load. They use ‘constrained layer damping’ instead of decoupling.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234