+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman SEG - a few questions re PS, cables, FW upgrade...

I'm Giovanni.

Default Caiman SEG - a few questions re PS, cables, FW upgrade...

Hello everybody,

I am finally evaluating to get a DAC whose use would be to convert and play FLAC off of my Mac (either a MacBookAir or a MacMini), AppleTV4, Sony TV and Sony CD-player, given price, input options and, above all, quality I am onto the Caiman SEG whose reviews are very good even here in Italy

Questions wise, I read here and there about the problem when switching bitrates, so far seems like it needs an upgraded FW chip, is this correct? Since there is an used one I am awaiting a reply for I suppose I have to go the upgrade route while, probably but not sure, bought new off of Beresford it could be already updated, which is which?

PS, the one on sale might come either with the standard wall PS or with an upgraded one, since the owner hasn't reply yet I am wondering, should I get it somewhere else, which are the voltage and current requested off the Seg to get the best out of it? I read 12v standard up to 15v for increased quality would anybody tell me, again, which is which and sources to buy a good quality linear one here in the old EU? I own a switching one which I use once in a while on my HAM equipment but I hate the slight noise it does and I regret the times in which there were only linear ones, a 12-15v 5-10A one should not cost that much, I don't like whistle and bells, just on-off switch, black face to match the DAC and that's it, input appreciated.

Cables wise, I would need two optical ones to connect both the ATV4 and TV to the DAC (oooops, I just found out ATV4 has no optical output so it gotta go through HDMi-TV-DAC), which are the parameters to care about for a good working one (I don't trust in cables magic, just a decent construction one with no gold or diamond connectors...); would be fun to try also to play CDs through both the old Sony CD-P X505ES (with an upgraded output stage) converter and the SEG just for the sake of it, which is better, optical or coaxial for the purpose? Least, USB wise, same as above, to stream from the Mac to the DAC what should I look forward at?

Thank you all for reading and for your input

Giovanni

p.s. the DAC would be connected to an AR SP-9 preamp which drives a twin KT88 Aeron AP890 power amp which then fires my old JBL4311B, the GyroDec is awaiting restoration but hopefully soon spinning again!!!

Hi Giovanni,

the bitrate switching noise is now corrected in the latest production firmware. I also have my own power supply design that has just come out, and already sold out to people on the waiting list. I should have some more next week. The details of the new power supply should be on my website in the next few days.

Stan

I'm Giovanni.

Hello Stanley,

thank you for your quick reply, there is one for sale here in Italy and that would be much easier for me shipping wise, should that not work I'll be glad to order an update one through you straight away but should I get the used one I seem having read you can supply an updated eprom to update to your last settings, is that correct?

Can't see the PSU on your website, looking forward!

grazie

Giovanni
    Last edited by Giovanni68; 03-10-2018 at 13:41.

I'm AndrewR.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    Hi Giovanni,

the bitrate switching noise is now corrected in the latest production firmware. I also have my own power supply design that has just come out, and already sold out to people on the waiting list. I should have some more next week. The details of the new power supply should be on my website in the next few days.

Stan
    Hi Stan,

Assuming it is the Supercap, I didn't know there was a waiting list. Really looking forward to being able to buy one for my Caiman II.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Hi Stan,

Assuming it is the Supercap, I didn't know there was a waiting list. Really looking forward to being able to buy one for my Caiman II.

Andrew
    I have been using one on my Caiman MKII to develop the firmware that goes with it. I didn't even realize that the MKII could sound that good.
    And with my no nonsense money back guarantee if it doesn't do what it says on the tin, you don't have to be worried that it is all foo. The improvements are clearly audible within seconds of the start of the first music track that you play. Burn in improves things, but you don't have to wait for even as much as a minute to make your mind up if it was money well spent, or wasted. That's the kind of amazing difference the Dorado PSU makes.

I'm AndrewR.

Really looking forward to ordering the Dorado. What will the price be?

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm tony.

Giovanni,
    For no nonsense cables both optical and co-ax Stan is your man.

My son runs optical out his MAC into his SEG sounds bellisimo!!

regards

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Really looking forward to ordering the Dorado. What will the price be?

Andrew
    It's less than £75 delivered in the UK. It's mainly my manufacturing and R&D costs, plus UK VAT and corporation tax. I don't expect a copy cat version to hit the market at less than £99.99 once other designers have stripped mine down to see the circuit layout. Mind you, I understand that one UK based company has used my research to build a copy of some sorts that costs a lot more. But that's to be expected.

I'm Giovanni.

I think it would make sense to buy the SEG new off of Stanley straight away along with cables and the PSU when he releases it, this would mean a little more wait to get down to the required budget but I guess that on the long term it will pay back, new firmware already installed (saving the money to buy a new one and have it delivered if I get a non last batch here in Italy) and the pleasure to be the first to turn it on

@stanley where can we see the PSU you are working at and when do you plan to release it?

Grazie

The power supply is already on the market. But the first batch already sold out. As a matter of fact it went so quick I just about managed to take a few pictures that I am editing to put on my website. There are a couple of people on this forum who have one. Maybe one of them would be willing enough to post a picture of theirs for now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast