+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern turntable for 78-rpm vinyls? (question from a newbie)

I'm Jane.

Default Modern turntable for 78-rpm vinyls? (question from a newbie)

I'm planning to buy my first record player. I inherited all of my grandpa’s records recently, I believe there could be some really old recordings - that’s why I’d like to buy a nice one, so I don't have to worry about ruining the records. I’ve been searching for a while and found out that some models I considered doesn’t work with 78-rpm vinyls. I need to know, is there any other things I need to keep in mind while choosing a turntable for them? In general, is it possible to find a modern turntable which would work with this format? Or a flea market is my only option? My budget is 300£.
    Sorry if it’s not on topic

I'm Martin.

Rega make a dedicated 78rpm deck and a matching cartridge as well, but on your budget you will likely be better advised to buy a mint or well restored used deck from the late sixties/early seventies that will offer you all speeds, something like a Lenco would be a good choice, you will need different cartridges or at the very least a different stylus for playing 78s and vinyl records, 45rpm and 33rpm as the grooves on 78s are much wider as well as being mono.

I'm Rob.

My father has a large collection of classical music 78s. He swears by Goldring 72/75s. One of the key factors being the ability to vary the speed, as very many "78s" were not recorded at that speed. So something that can go up to around 90 and down to 70 rpm is desirable.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    My father has a large collection of classical music 78s. He swears by Goldring 72/75s. One of the key factors being the ability to vary the speed, as very many "78s" were not recorded at that speed. So something that can go up to around 90 and down to 70 rpm is desirable.
    Yup. Very true. I use wind up gramophones for authenticity but all my records are well used anyway
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    Great stuff , imagine if we messed about with the TT speed on 33 rpm LP,s to suit our listening delights , instead of being possesed about locked solidly on 33 !!!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    great stuff , imagine if we messed about with the tt speed on 33 rpm lp,s to suit our listening delights , instead of being possesed about locked solidly on 33 !!!
    33 1/3 rpm
    Rob.