+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Innous zen mini mk2 review

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Let us know what you think, been looking at the Neo recently.
    Ali,

Hans Beekhuyzen rated the Ultra over the basic SMS200 one I have on his YouTube channel.

Don't think you'd go wrong with one

He actually reviewed the Neo Ultra last month too.

https://youtu.be/uADNLgJ3tSA

I'm John.

Regarding psu's, these are very nice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hiend-60W...72.m2749.l2649

not the cheapest chinese psu, but very nice design and excellent build quality.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Let us know what you think, been looking at the Neo recently.
    The SMS 200 Ultra Neo is an excellent bit of kit. I got one with the dedicated power supply. Not tried it with the supply wall plug so don't know what difference it makes. I have read though that it is fundamental to extracting the best from the SMS 200.

In comparison to the Aries Mini it is very easy to hear how much better it is. In my system it feels like a digital "grain" - one that I hadn't noticed previously - has been eradicated.

Well worth trying if you get the opportunity.

I will have a play around in a few days taking the power supply out and seeing if that makes a difference. I will also be interested in hearing how the Innuos sounds straight into the DAC plus I am using Roon at the moment and would like to see how this compares to other controls.

I'm James.

I was about to say why bother with the SMS 200, I would have thought the Innuos would sound better straight into a DAC?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm tony.

im usb into my dac from the zen.....it sounds very good to my ears

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    im usb into my dac from the zen.....it sounds very good to my ears
    Same here, USB to DAC and sounding great. I'm a bit confused by the link John provided above. In the listing it states:

DC12V 2.5A
    DC15V 2.5A
    DC16V 2.5A
    DC18V 2A
    Transformer power: 60VA

That doesn't make sense to me although my electronics knowledge is limited. If it has a 60VA transformer then at 12v output shouldn't it deliver 60/12= 5 amps as opposed to the 2.5 amps quoted? Same for the other figures.

Anyway, according to the Innuos website the Zen mini specs state it uses 15w peak so at 12v by my calculation that’s 1.25 amps. I happen to have a Chinese linear power supply lying about from a previous Class D amp project. It was rated at 18v but on opening it up I found a little variable resistor so I've adjusted the output it to 12v. It has a 30VA trannie inside so that should give 2.5 amps at 12v - correct me if I'm wrong. I tried this psu with the Zen and although my initial impression was a slight improvement when I switched back to the Zen's smps I really couldn't tell the difference. I'm not doubting those who say a linear supply should bring improvements but this cheapo one doesn't so I'm going to have something made as I have an Airlink 50VA trannie in my spares box.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I was about to say why bother with the SMS 200, I would have thought the Innuos would sound better straight into a DAC?
    I'll do some experimentation and report back......

I'm tony.

Ian
    Im pestering Stan regards his new Dorado being an option.....not sure if its doable

by the way measured the plug 5.5mm outer 2.5mm center fyi

I'm Robert.

Okay - a quick (hour and a half or so) comparison has been done between the Innuos Zen Mini going straight into the USB port on my DAC (Schiit Gungnir) and through the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo with matching power supply.

Firstly, if I didn't own the SOtM then I would be more than happy with the Zen Mini straight to DAC and probably not consider adding anything else into the chain. It sounds (and this is relying on memory) better than using an Auralic Aries Mini into the DAC - better separation, improved bass, wider soundstage.

So in terms of sound what does adding £1,700 (RRP) in kit add? Well, certainly, to my ears the added benefit is not commensurate with the added cost.

What the SMS-200 and power supply gave me was more of a 3D feel to the soundstage, better leading edge definition on guitars (listened to a few track with acoustic guitar), a slightly blacker background and a removal of what I can only describe as a very slight haze compared to the Zen Mini straight into the DAC. Certainly nowhere near night and day (to coin a cliché) but enough that the differences were recognisable over a short listening session.

Intriguingly, the bass with the SMS-200 kit in the signal path was not quite as deep. What it was though was slightly better defined.

Finally, it is worth noting that that when I got the Zen Mini the dealer did me an astonishing deal which made getting the SOtM kit an absolute no brainer. It probably helped that I had spent around £9,000 in a new amplifier/speakers and cables a few weeks before!

Hope this helps.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1969 View Post
    Okay - a quick (hour and a half or so) comparison has been done between the Innuos Zen Mini going straight into the USB port on my DAC (Schiit Gungnir) and through the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo with matching power supply.

Firstly, if I didn't own the SOtM then I would be more than happy with the Zen Mini straight to DAC and probably not consider adding anything else into the chain. It sounds (and this is relying on memory) better than using an Auralic Aries Mini into the DAC - better separation, improved bass, wider soundstage.

So in terms of sound what does adding £1,700 (RRP) in kit add? Well, certainly, to my ears the added benefit is not commensurate with the added cost.

What the SMS-200 and power supply gave me was more of a 3D feel to the soundstage, better leading edge definition on guitars (listened to a few track with acoustic guitar), a slightly blacker background and a removal of what I can only describe as a very slight haze compared to the Zen Mini straight into the DAC. Certainly nowhere near night and day (to coin a cliché) but enough that the differences were recognisable over a short listening session.

Intriguingly, the bass with the SMS-200 kit in the signal path was not quite as deep. What it was though was slightly better defined.

Finally, it is worth noting that that when I got the Zen Mini the dealer did me an astonishing deal which made getting the SOtM kit an absolute no brainer. It probably helped that I had spent around £9,000 in a new amplifier/speakers and cables a few weeks before!

Hope this helps.
    Is the USB port on the Schitt galvanically isolated?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast