+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from a HiFi returnee

I'm Adrian.

Default Hello from a HiFi returnee

Hello,

I'm Adrian, I'm in Somerset and starting to enjoy my vinyl again after some years away. Whilst at university in the early 80's and staring working life I ran through the usual suspects; Dual 505, Ariston RD11S, Michell Focus One ending up with a Linn LP12/Basik together an A&R A60 and Linn Kans. Then some years ago, needing funds, having children and not finding the time to listen to music I sold up everything and some of my records!

Some sense has returned, following the surprise purchase a few years ago of a boxful of old gear, which included a NAD 533 with rebadged Rega RB250 and Goldring 1012GX, not brilliant, but a start back on the road. So now I have this with an Arcan Alpha 8 and Celestial DL6 speakers. I've decided to keep it all simple, no digital

The NAD came with a Goldring cartridge, which seems fine.

Music tastes are eclectic, but largely rock, blues... lots of Clapton, Stones, I've not moved on from the 70's and 80's very much!

Has the HiFi world moved on much in the last 30 years? Is it still the Linn view of the world of start with the turntable bearing and make improvements from there onwards through the system?

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Aston; 01-10-2018 at 18:45. Reason: Forgot music tastes

I'm Geoff.

Hi Adrian. Welcome to AOS.

I don't know about a "Linn view" prevailing these days. There are no rules really, approach Hi-Fi any way you like.

Tell us what future plans if any you may have for your system and join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Steve.

Welcome Adrian,

The "Linn view" you mention I seem to recall was largely pushed by Hi fi Answers, where the upgrade path was Dual, Rega, then Linn. And apparently you could put any old crap on the end of it as long as you spent most of your cash on the source. Funny how the hierarchy seemed to change when CD took hold.

Having said that, I bought an old LP12 in the 80's and loved it. But I kept it as it was, I didn't keep up with the endless "improvements".
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread