+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your oldest regularly used component and why ?

I'm Grant.

Default What is your oldest regularly used component and why ?

probably my B&O cart which is very early 60's and my Telefunken FullRange Drivers which are probably a couple of years younger.

Forgot my sme 3009 2 arm which is 60's I think too.
    Last edited by struth; 01-10-2018 at 18:31.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Are we talking about the oldest item made in production or the oldest item you have owned?

For me it's the Quad 57 ESLs (1955, but bought in 1974), the Thorens TD124/II (1965, and bought in 1970) and an SME3009/S2 (1962, and bought in 1970) Then there is my EMT 930 deck (the production run starts relatively recently in late 1961, but mine dates from mid-1974 and was bought in 2006) along with several EMT cartridges (originally introduced in 1962, but mine are more recent dating from 1970, and were bought in 1980)

All these items are in regular use today.

I have many items as old, if not older (Ortofon SPUGE, ST15TE, SL15E etc., Shure M55E etc., Quad AM1, AM3 and FM2 tuners and complete Series 3 electronics for example), but they are not in regular use. And then there are those venerable items that I once had and have passed on: Collaro 2010 TT and Shure M3D cartridge for example.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-10-2018 at 19:16. Reason: Update
    Barry

I'm Martin.

My Garrard 301 was manufactured in 1954, before I was born, it still does exactly what it was designed for, playing mono records and likely does it better now than it ever has before, I'm pretty sure it will still be doing it's thing when it's 100 years old and hopefully I'll still be around to enjoy it.

I'm Deleted.

The oldest component is/are my NS-1000M speakers but the thing I've owned the longest is my Nac72 pre-amp.
    Account Deleted

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Are we talking about the oldest item made in production or the oldest item you have owned?

For me it's the Quad 57 ESLs (1955, but bought in 1974), the Thorens TD124/II (1965, and bought in 1970) and an SME3009/S2 (1962, and bought in 1970) Then there is my EMT 930 deck (the production run starts relatively recently in late 1961, but mine dates from mid-1974 and was bought in 2006) along with several EMT cartridges (originally introduced in 1962, but mine are more recent dating from 1970, and were bought in 1980)

All these items are in regular use today.

I have many items as old, if not older (Ortofon SPUGE, ST15TE, SL15E etc., Shure M55E etc., Quad AM1, AM3 and FM2 tuners and complete Series 3 electronics for example), but they are not in regular use. And then there are those venerable items that I once had and have passed on: Collaro 2010 TT and Shure M3D cartridge for example.
    Hi Barry
    Oldest items you still use today sort of covers it. Of interest what serial numbers nearest 1000 are on your ESL57's ? mine are early 6000's
    which I worked out as being made about 1960.

Great to see older equipment being appreciated and used each day.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi Barry
    Oldest items you still use today sort of covers it. Of interest what serial numbers nearest 1000 are on your ESL57's ? mine are early 6000's
    which I worked out as being made about 1960.

Great to see older equipment being appreciated and used each day.
    Now those are venerable Quads - mine are quite a bit younger, and have serial numbers around 28,000. An important and useful aspect of the Quad 57 design is that there is virtually no unit-to-unit variation; one sample sounds identical to another. I believe the owner of the very first Quad 57 (no, it wasn't Peter Walker) later paired it with another with a serial number in the 1,000s for stereo.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Also got a f307 ferrograph amp from late 60's still connected up and working great. Very nice old amps

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Tannoys

And my mint Pioneer receiver used in the bedroom in the morning / last thing from the early 90s

I'm Steve.

I have a pair of 1970 speakers hooked up to my PC via a Denon 250 II and a muse DAC.
    Plus my go to TT is the Rock I bought new in 1986.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Martyn.

Spendor BC1s.
    That still see off some modern speakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast