+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plinth opinions

I'm Drew.

Default Plinth opinions

Hi Guys

I'm looking at various plinth options for my 401... One of them is made in Hungary and is solid oak offering not dissimilar to Loricraft plinths. Aesthetics aside, do you have any opinions on the sonic possibilities (pros and cons) based on the photos?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARRARD-4...UAAOSwrR5bm318

The other option is the multi-layered birch approach such as this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARRARD-4...gAAOSwD5Za6ejS

I should say slate is not an option...

Thanks very much!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Hi Guys

I'm looking at various plinth options for my 401... One of them is made in Hungary and is solid oak offering not dissimilar to Loricraft plinths. Aesthetics aside, do you have any opinions on the sonic possibilities (pros and cons) based on the photos?

Thanks very much!
    I have a Panzerholtz plinth on my SP10. I don't know whether that's of any interest to you on a 402 but it sure does a great job here.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Hi Guys

Thanks very much!

I have something similar to https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARRARD-4...gAAOSwD5Za6ejS for use with my Thorens TD124. It can take a 12" arm as well but unlike the one shown was made in Austria. I'm very pleased with it.

Both look good, but I would hesitate to offer any advice as I'm not a Garrard 401 user.
    Barry

I'm Brook.

I am looking at getting a multi layer ply plinth from the same seller for my 401, his work looks very good aesthetically speaking, at least to my taste it is. Have a look at the thread about armboards, I asked a question at the end of that thread & was kindly supplied two links which are proving invaluable in helping me decide which is right sonically, although I am considering slate as well I must add.

I'm Drew.

Thanks for all the comments... I'll keep digging deeper :-) I seem to remember reading about criticisms of the suspended "squash ball' type plinths but can't seem to find the links

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    I am looking at getting a multi layer ply plinth from the same seller for my 401, his work looks very good aesthetically speaking, at least to my taste it is. Have a look at the thread about armboards, I asked a question at the end of that thread & was kindly supplied two links which are proving invaluable in helping me decide which is right sonically, although I am considering slate as well I must add.

I'm Knut.

I recommend the Vinylista Plinth for Garrards from Germany. I use them for years now. Martin Brenner uses now sorbothane. No more squash balls, because squash balls lose air.
    http://www.vinylista.de
    Regards
    Knut
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

I'm dave.

Hi try this site on facebook he is in Manchester https://www.facebook.com/Plinthology...442/?ref=br_rs

Dave
    Any tool can be used as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel

I'm Nick.

Hi Drew I see you already posted on my Shindo/Artisan Fidelity plinth thread over in the Idle Vice sub-forum, so I won't point you to that... but I've been on the same journey myself recently, looking for the right plinth for my (soon to arrive) Audio Grail 401.

In terms of the sonic qualities, as you asked, a solid wood plinth is generally considered not ideal. It would seem at first glance to be a 'better quality' item than a plinth made from layered wood stuck together, but the layered approach has an effect on the sound. The combination of layers with glue in between has greater damping/vibration dissipation qualities than solid wood which will more readily transmit vibrations through its body. Since one wants to reduce vibrations from the 401's motor and stop them reaching the cartridge, this is an important consideration and a layered plinth would generally be preferred.

To summarize my other findings: The Bob Cusworth plinths, as mentioned by Audio Grail Matt and Vrajbasi in the other thread, are very very highly recommended but hugely expensive (4k+) and virtually unobtanium even if you wanted to spend that kind of money on one. The Shindo cherry plinth also an uber-high end choice but only for the 301, I think.

Back here on earth, many on AoS are very happy with Russ Collinson's (Layers of Beauty) solid cherry plinth for the Garrards. Those with experience of the uber-plinths have been less kind but for us mere mortals it seems like an excellent choice with plenty of bang for your buck, plus Russ is very helpful and lovely to deal with and is open to discussing a bespoke build should you have something particular in mind.

I've also spoken with Carl who does the Plinthology builds, via the Facebook link given above. He also was very approachable and friendly, and his builds are very reasonably priced, birch ply with lacquer finish £300 inc shipping, beech veneer finish £400 and an unfinished (no lacquer) birch ply plinth will only cost you £250, quite a bargain. I've not seen his work first hand but reports are good. If you're on a budget for that price you can't go wrong, well worth dropping him a line.

I've no experience of the Moldovan/Hungarian etc plinths as seen on ebay, maybe worth a gamble, seems like there's not much option for come-back if something goes wrong as they are so far away. At least if you work with someone in the UK you'll have some after-sale support. Carl at Plinthology looks like a great budget choice and his £250 (inc shipping) 401 plinth is the best value hand-made plinth I found, if you are not too fussed about a high-end veneered finish.

Personally in the end I decided to go with a Layers of Beauty plinth for my 401, Russ is tried and tested and I believe gives great value for money, his work is beautiful and he really knows his stuff.

Hope that's helpful for you.

Nick
    Last edited by nickbaba; 03-10-2018 at 07:10.

I'm David.

Hi, I've got a Martin Bastin "Max Plank" multiply plinth for my 401. It works very well, no sign of rumble and although I'm sure the sound is not "accurate" it sounds good to me. It came with a ply arm board, although I think Martin usually uses aluminium, however I had Steve of Magna Audio make me up a couple of ebony ones which I do like a bit better. You can contact Martin Bastin on 01584 823446. Having said all that, I was interested in how a "low mass" plinth would work so I've just asked Martin Brenner of Vinylista to make me one of his L+ turntables so that I can have two 10" arms mounted at once. I think it will be a while before it arrives, however I'll report back when it does. David Whistance

I'm Drew.

Thanks very much for the detailed, informative comment Nick, that's extremely helpful indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Hi Drew I see you already posted on my Shindo/Artisan Fidelity plinth thread over in the Idle Vice sub-forum, so I won't point you to that... but I've been on the same journey myself recently, looking for the right plinth for my (soon to arrive) Audio Grail 401.

In terms of the sonic qualities, as you asked, a solid wood plinth is generally considered not ideal. It would seem at first glance to be a 'better quality' item than a plinth made from layered wood stuck together, but the layered approach has an effect on the sound. The combination of layers with glue in between has greater damping/vibration dissipation qualities than solid wood which will more readily transmit vibrations through its body. Since one wants to reduce vibrations from the 401's motor and stop them reaching the cartridge, this is an important consideration and a layered plinth would generally be preferred.

To summarize my other findings: The Bob Cusworth plinths, as mentioned by Audio Grail Matt and Vrajbasi in the other thread, are very very highly recommended but hugely expensive (4k+) and virtually unobtanium even if you wanted to spend that kind of money on one. The Shindo cherry plinth also an uber-high end choice but only for the 301, I think.

Back here on earth, many on AoS are very happy with Russ Collinson's (Layers of Beauty) solid cherry plinth for the Garrards. Those with experience of the uber-plinths have been less kind but for us mere mortals it seems like an excellent choice with plenty of bang for your buck, plus Russ is very helpful and lovely to deal with and is open to discussing a bespoke build should you have something particular in mind.

I've also spoken with Carl who does the Plinthology builds, via the Facebook link given above. He also was very approachable and friendly, and his builds are very reasonably priced, birch ply with lacquer finish £300 inc shipping, beech veneer finish £400 and an unfinished (no lacquer) birch ply plinth will only cost you £250, quite a bargain. I've not seen his work first hand but reports are good. If you're on a budget for that price you can't go wrong, well worth dropping him a line.

I've no experience of the Moldovan/Hungarian etc plinths as seen on ebay, maybe worth a gamble, seems like there's not much option for come-back if something goes wrong as they are so far away. At least if you work with someone in the UK you'll have some after-sale support. Carl at Plinthology looks like a great budget choice and his £250 (inc shipping) 401 plinth is the best value hand-made plinth I found, if you are not too fussed about a high-end veneered finish.

Personally in the end I decided to go with a Layers of Beauty plinth for my 401, Russ is tried and tested and I believe gives great value for money, his work is beautiful and he really knows his stuff.

Hope that's helpful for you.

Nick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast