+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: coax for interconnects

I'm jamie.

Default coax for interconnects

ive just been reading up on interconnects,from what ive learnt the best cable for unbalanced use is coax.
    does anyone use this or do we all go for fancy mic cable these days?
    lets discuss
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

No one got anything to say ? That’s a first!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm John.

I don't think the balanced cables regularly referred today are fancy, but good quality affordable cable , that can be purchased unterminated. The RCA plugs are more of the
    exotic and some brands of these, do come with a above average cost.
    I,ve tried Coax and Balanced Microphone Cable, Unshielded Silver and Unshielded Copper Ribbon.
    The most appealing to me at present is the Unshielded Copper.

I'm Kevin.

It all depends on the cable in question, and how you make up the balanced cable.
    There are so many variables that it is very much a suck it and see exercise, in my opinion.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm jamie.

It’s not a balanced cable, it interested me that so many people on the diy audio forum advocated the use of coax rather than mic or twisted pair types of cable for interconnects.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Kevin.

No, a coax cable is not balanced. We agree.
    My point was it depends on how you make up a balanced cable into an interconnect.
    The best type of cable to use is the one you like the sound of best.

If you have a noisy environment a coax may not the best.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

"My point was it depends on how you make up a balanced cable into an interconnect.

The best type of cable to use is the one you like the sound of best.

If you have a noisy environment a coax may not the best."

Exactly.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    ive just been reading up on interconnects,from what ive learnt the best cable for unbalanced use is coax.
    does anyone use this or do we all go for fancy mic cable these days?
    lets discuss
    Jamie, I did some experimenting with various unbalanced DIY cables recently -- probably tried at least 6 different ones, incl. a couple commercially-made. If I recall, three of the lot were coax, the rest were twisted pair with shield. These were all used between cd player and preamp. To my ears the coax sounded worst in all cases -- thin and harsh, smaller soundstage...they were really holding back the capabilities of the source. All the twisted pair ones were noticeably better - fuller, rounder, warmer sound; bigger soundstage. I finally settled on a Gotham twisted pair cable as having the cleanest, smoothest sound (very sweet), but a Belden pair also sounded very good, perhaps slightly coarser sounding than the Gotham. I haven't tried a quad cable, and may do that over the winter just to satisfy my curiosity. Also haven't tried a roll-yer-own phono cable as yet, but I have some bulk Mogami in the bin that would do nicely for that.

Hope this helps. I can dig out some model nos. for you if you're really curious.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Jamie, I did some experimenting with various unbalanced DIY cables recently -- probably tried at least 6 different ones, incl. a couple commercially-made. If I recall, three of the lot were coax, the rest were twisted pair with shield. These were all used between cd player and preamp. To my ears the coax sounded worst in all cases -- thin and harsh, smaller soundstage...they were really holding back the capabilities of the source. All the twisted pair ones were noticeably better - fuller, rounder, warmer sound; bigger soundstage. I finally settled on a Gotham twisted pair cable as having the cleanest, smoothest sound (very sweet), but a Belden pair also sounded very good, perhaps slightly coarser sounding than the Gotham. I haven't tried a quad cable, and may do that over the winter just to satisfy my curiosity. Also haven't tried a roll-yer-own phono cable as yet, but I have some bulk Mogami in the bin that would do nicely for that.

Hope this helps. I can dig out some model nos. for you if you're really curious.

Cheers,
    Svend
    cheers svend,
    ive heard good reports of Gotham cable.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Grant.

still got some gotham speaker cable somewhere.. was very good
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast