+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: coax for interconnects

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    cheers svend,
    ive heard good reports of Gotham cable.
    I felt it had an over emphasised thick midrange. Certainly didn't float my boat. I know of plenty who's boat it does though.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Is that what Batman uses?
    Their prices are quite good, so no Robin you
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I felt it had an over emphasised thick midrange. Certainly didn't float my boat. I know of plenty who's boat it does though.

Which version did you try Oliver? There are a number of different ones. I used GAC-2 V1 (p/n 10421) in the make-up, with Neutrik plugs, and I don't perceive any midrange bloat. I just find it a very clean, clear, neutral sounding cable. Could be (and likely is) system-dependent as to results, as many things like this can be. But to Jamie's original question, all the coax cables were noticeably inferior to the twisted-pair versions. There was a much bigger difference between coax vs. twisted-pair, than between different versions of twisted-pair. Things started getting pretty subtle in what I was hearing between, say, a Belden vs. Mogami vs. Gotham twisted pair.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Which version did you try Oliver? There are a number of different ones. I used GAC-2 V1 (p/n 10421) in the make-up, with Neutrik plugs, and I don't perceive any midrange bloat. I just find it a very clean, clear, neutral sounding cable. Could be (and likely is) system-dependent as to results, as many things like this can be. But to Jamie's original question, all the coax cables were noticeably inferior to the twisted-pair versions. There was a much bigger difference between coax vs. twisted-pair, than between different versions of twisted-pair. Things started getting pretty subtle in what I was hearing between, say, a Belden vs. Mogami vs. Gotham twisted pair.
    I tried GAC-2. Gave it over 100hrs but I just didn't like it. That doesn't mean it isn't great in your system just that when I tried it I didn't like it.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Their prices are quite good, so no Robin you
    There is always a Joker.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    There is always a Joker.
    They are usually the "Bain" of our existence

I'm Svend.

I tried GAC-2. Gave it over 100hrs but I just didn't like it. That doesn't mean it isn't great in your system just that when I tried it I didn't like it.

Yeah, I hear you. In my system, it's the best I've tried. I know you've been rolling a lot of cables lately, some from pretty hard-to-find bulk stock, so you have a lot more experience and more builds to compare. For me, I decided for reasons of sanity that the Gotham was good enough and that I could happily live with it. Otherwise I'd go nutso trying to find cable nirvana. My system has other more important things that need attention and tweaking.

Bigman80 Guest

No doubt mate and that's all there is too it. If you like what it does, fantastic result. It doesn't matter much what anyone thinks, just enjoy what you've found and fair play building some cables and doing your own testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. In my system, it's the best I've tried. I know you've been rolling a lot of cables lately, some from pretty hard-to-find bulk stock, so you have a lot more experience and more builds to compare. For me, I decided for reasons of sanity that the Gotham was good enough and that I could happily live with it. Otherwise I'd go nutso trying to find cable nirvana. My system has other more important things that need attention and tweaking.

I'm Svend.

No doubt mate and that's all there is too it. If you like what it does, fantastic result. It doesn't matter much what anyone thinks, just enjoy what you've found and fair play building some cables and doing your own testing.

Good one, Oliver. Well said. BTW, at some point I will go about a phono cable build and will post here for some advice...winter project...still decent-enough weather here to keep me out of the basement workshop for a while.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There's more than one version of Gotham GAC-2. And there is GAC-3 and GAC-4 to consider as well.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast