View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 14.29%
  • 2/10

2 28.57%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

2 28.57%
  • 6/10

1 14.29%
  • 7/10

1 14.29%
  • 8/10

0 0%
  • 9/10

0 0%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club, October 2018: Stars of the Lid - 'And Their Refinement Of The Decline'

I'm Deleted.

Oh god, I just flicked through this again, appallingly dull. Not a single track should have made it out of the editing suite. Artists like Brian Eno have already done this sort of music to death and so much better.
    Account Deleted

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Oh god, I just flicked through this again, appallingly dull. Not a single track should have made it out of the editing suite. Artists like Brian Eno have already done this sort of music to death and so much better.
    I guess you don't like it then Mark!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This is a difficult one for me. I do like ambient/mood music; something you can loose yourself in, but there is good and there is bad. The trouble is this is neither the one nor the other, it's pretty average, and because most of the tracks start in the same way, ultimately boring. I never got the impression that the album was developing in any way - you could go out, make a cup of tea, come back and you wouldn't have missed anything.

Two hours is far too long, and although as the Album Club asks listeners to hear the album in its entirety, I think for this one it has to be done in two sessions. After an hour and a half I had had enough.

I used to jokingly say that the best album to play if you wanted to get rid of guests who had outstayed their welcome would be Pheadra by Tangerine Dream. I think this one tops that!

Despite sounding negative, this is exactly the sort of thing I like to see being suggested in the Album Club: something a bit different, something a bit challenging. So in that respect I did appreciate the chance to hear it. Unfortunately, for me, it will not replace Tangerine Dream, or Terry Reily for the longer electronic soundscapes, or Brian Eno or Vangelis for the shorter ones.

Reluctantly, only a scoring of 5/10.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This is a difficult one for me. I do like ambient/mood music; something you can loose yourself in, but there is good and there is bad. The trouble is this is neither the one nor the other, it's pretty average, and because most of the tracks start in the same way, ultimately boring. I never got the impression that the album was developing in any way - you could go out, make a cup of tea, come back and you wouldn't have missed anything.

Two hours is far too long, and although as the Album Club asks listeners to hear the album in its entirety, I think for this one it has to be done in two sessions. After an hour and a half I had had enough.

I used to jokingly say that the best album to play if you wanted to get rid of guests who had outstayed their welcome would be Pheadra by Tangerine Dream. I think this one tops that!

Despite sounding negative, this is exactly the sort of thing I like to see being suggested in the Album Club: something a bit different, something a bit challenging. So in that respect I did appreciate the chance to hear it. Unfortunately, for me, it will not replace Tangerine Dream, or Terry Reily for the longer electronic soundscapes, or Brian Eno or Vangelis for the shorter ones.

Reluctantly, only a scoring of 5/10.

;0))
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12