View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 14.29%
  • 2/10

2 28.57%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

2 28.57%
  • 6/10

1 14.29%
  • 7/10

1 14.29%
  • 8/10

0 0%
  • 9/10

0 0%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, October 2018: Stars of the Lid - 'And Their Refinement Of The Decline'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, October 2018: Stars of the Lid - 'And Their Refinement Of The Decline'

The Album Club choice for October 2018 comes courtesy of Loz (Hackney RF) with Stars of the Lid - 'And Their Refinement of the Decline'. As always please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

Stars of the Lid – ‘And Their Refinement Of The Decline’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Th...of_the_Decline

One from the heart for this month’s album club. I was tempted to select a crowd pleaser, something more accessible but I thought well this has been possibly my favourite record of the last 10 years so why not share it. Some of you just might like it too. I realise it might be a challenge being a double album and where things move at a glacial pace, but dim the lights, pour yourself a drink or two, hang on in there and let the music take you on a trip for a wee while.

The duo that are Stars of the Lid are Brian McBride and Adam Wiltzie. Originally formed in Texas in 1993 they now live in Los Angeles and Brussels respectively. This was their last album released in 2007 (they tend to have long periods between albums) however they continue to play shows fairly regularly and although they are a bit of a cult band they can still manage to sell out The Barbican Hall when they come to town.

I think the stereotypical image of so-called ambient music is of it being unobtrusive and something that can be played whilst doing something else. That’s often not the case in my opinion but even more so with Stars of the Lid. It will probably not give immediate gratification so requires a little time and attention for its subtlety and the slow shifts to reveal themselves. I don’t believe it to be an ambient record solely either. Think Terry Riley meets Walter Carlos by way of Claude Debussy.

My favourites are ‘Don’t Bother Their Here’ which pinches the melody from ‘Send in the Clowns’, ‘Another Ballard For Heavy Lids’, the epic ‘The Daughters of Quiet Minds’ and ‘Tippy’s Demise. Anyway I hope you like it.
    Last thing. Turn it up. It works best that way I believe and will probably sound incredible on the amazing systems you folks have.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6cHPEbPryLpH5VX5Eb1Vvo

I'm Richie.

Sooooo long. Probably an hour and twenty minutes too long.

I enjoyed it though. More than I thought I would, I guess it is not that different from some of the doom/drone metal in terms of building mood. It got better as it went along. Too much one piano note every twenty seconds to begin with.

I'm Richie.

I’m struggling to give it a mark. I’d give it a six if it were an lp.

I'm Richie.

Oops - there’s another two songs! Christ

I'm Loz.

Can't say I didn't forewarn you Richie.

With hindsight maybe folks should try it in two sessions!

I'm Ian.

Loz, I've had a few sessions with this album now but I'm afraid I just can't get on with it. However what I do like is the quality of the compositions and that they stick with what they want to play and don't go down the " lets chuck in a couple of pop numbers to please the crowds " route. I'm going to have a listen to some more of their work as it is interesting. I've given it a 7 for the quality of musicianship.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Deleted.

I have quite a lot of music that is rather like this - but definately not actually this. I can’t help but feel that some judicious editing would have helped - although not starting every track with the same motif would also have been a good idea.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 20-08-2019 at 09:07.
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

I liked the first 2 tracks, and 4th was ok. after 4 it became a bit samey and her voice started to annoy me alas. good try tho, and not really my thing but could listen to track 1 and 2 any day...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I tries to listen but could not get through the whole album, so no score. Sorry not my thing.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I am listening to this now, but it's not really my thing at all - I keep wondering if it will ever get going but it's kind of all the same and gets a bit tedious to be honest. Maybe good for a Sci-Fi film soundtrack though?

If I finish it, I'll score it
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast