+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: XLR Cable shoot out - including the Spotfire IC

I'm Ken.

Jack - Yes I think all single ended or all balanced and there are few issues, it's when you have a mixture of both it gets tricky.

Due to the different hook up methods, regarding the audio ground plane inside the equipment, it is very easy to create a ground loop when using a mix of SE/Bal connections.

Great that you want to input on this subject. Just note the leads I'm using are not loaners, I had to purchase them all including the Spotfire. Oli had never tried the Spotfire in a balanced configuration till I asked him to build a pair, so he's as keen to see the final analyses as much as any of us.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Non-Smoking Man View Post
    My route into a fully balanced domestic system was prompted by the (hum) problems I sometimes encountered with a 5 way active horn system using a MIX of balanced and unbalanced equipment.

It started with winning an Ayre balanced phono stage on the Exchanges and sourcing the matching pre (Ayre Evolution) from a Wammer (batterredhaggis).

I also have now some valve amps converted to balanced operation (reversable) and a pair of Monarchy Audio SE100 monoblocks (Bigman will be innterested to know, I take it) which can be run either way.

Currently Im using Chord Chameleon VEE 3 phono to pre and Chord Cobra pre to amps - all XLR plugs.
    Im keen to be included in the discussion and provide additional testing/comparisons.
    Jack NSM
    I'm very intereste mate, a big fan of Monarchy. Also interested from a cable perspective. It would be great to get your cables to Ken and do a comparison neither the SPOTFIRE. Certainly worth it for me anyway, regardless of result.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Jack - Yes I think all single ended or all balanced and there are few issues, it's when you have a mixture of both it gets tricky.

Due to the different hook up methods, regarding the audio ground plane inside the equipment, it is very easy to create a ground loop when using a mix of SE/Bal connections.

Great that you want to input on this subject. Just note the leads I'm using are not loaners, I had to purchase them all including the Spotfire. Oli had never tried the Spotfire in a balanced configuration till I asked him to build a pair, so he's as keen to see the final analyses as much as any of us.
    If I had realised there was an interest in the SPOTFIRE XLR, I'd have made a loaner pair mate. I fell in to the trap of "cables don't sound different when balanced because the connection is so good" which is obviously not the case based on your assesment.

Fortunately, you spent wisely

I'm Jack.

Default XLR Spotfire?

Would it be possible to run up a pair of XLRs Oliver (and send them to me for a trial)? (On the 'other forum' I engage in a regular South Coast bake Off - next one Nov 15; plan to have a goodly part of my system there and there will be an audience...) I will ensure they are properly run in and get a fair test etc.,,
    Jack NSM

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Non-Smoking Man View Post
    Would it be possible to run up a pair of XLRs Oliver (and send them to me for a trial)? (On the 'other forum' I engage in a regular South Coast bake Off - next one Nov 15; plan to have a goodly part of my system there and there will be an audience...) I will ensure they are properly run in and get a fair test etc.,,
    Jack NSM
    Hi Jack,

I'll PM you.

Oliver.

I'm Ken.

100+ Hour test

Myself and Gordon (Halfwaytree) had the cable session to-day.

Gordon listened without knowledge of which variant was installed. I lost track of which was which, apart from the Spotfire (D), which has a braided jacket and stood out from the rest. I marked the XLR connectors with stickers A/B/C/D and tested all the cables.

The first track played, was the Tittle track from Sade's “Soldiers of Love” Album. The order of play was D/A/B/C and only the first third of the track played each time, to keep the memory period short.

This track is rich, even thick, with a prominent regular drum beat overlaid and Sade's vocal intertwined.
    Gordon stated there was not enough difference for him to pick one cable as better than another and to be honest, I felt more or less the same way.

We moved on to a female vocal with acoustic Guitar and
    “Pilgrim” from the Wild Honey Album by Alexandra Alden. This track is very well recorded and with little backing there is no where to hide, the vocal is clean and has you hanging on every breath, with some nice finger picking acoustic guitar to help it along.

I played the cables random so Gordon didn't know which was in use, but the actual order for this track was C/A/B/D.

Again Gordon was not able to distinguish one from another.
    I was more certain on this track and “B” stood out to me as the most transparent with a little harshness on the High's of the vocal. “D” was almost as Transparent but not as edgy with the vocal. “A” was the warmest sounding but least transparent. “C” didn't have any major flaws but didn't stand out either.

The cables were:
    A = Klotz MC5000
    B= Mogami 2549
    C= Sommer Carbokab
    D= Spotfire

The differences between these cables for balanced use, are small. Gordon could not distinguish one from another. My thoughts overall were similar to my previous experience.

I had also listened for longer periods, over the previous few days. I tended to find problems with one or more tracks, be it lack of transparency, not punchy enough, or edgy top end, so moved on to the next cable. After much back and forth, I built up an opinion as to which best suited my system and let me enjoy the music most.

Across a wide selection of artists and music types, the Spotfire gave the fewest problems and was the most versatile, never really tripping up. The Mogami was the most transparent and could sound terrific on some tracks, but was too edgy at the top on other material and was not an easy listen when this happened. The Klotz was good on simple acoustic tracks, but with a complex busy track from Snarky Puppy, could sound over lush and slightly veiled, but only when compared back to back with one of the others.
    The Carbokab didn't have any major vices, but it didn't excite me either, there wasn't one area where you could say it excelled over the rest, a bit Grey in that respect. I swapped back and forth between this and the Spotfire several times. With no obvious failing, I couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like about it, maybe a bit flatter dynamically, in the end I just preferred the Spotfire.(1)

So the Spotfire got the best out of my balanced system, but it is a subtle difference, only noticeable over prolonged listening sessions with varied material and is best categorised by what it doesn't do badly, compared to the others tested.
    Last edited by Qwin; 12-10-2018 at 21:22. Reason: TYPO at (1)

Bigman80 Guest

100+ Hour test

Myself and Gordon (Halfwaytree) had the cable session to-day.

Gordon listened without knowledge of which variant was installed. I lost track of which was which, apart from the Spotfire (D), which has a braided jacket and stood out from the rest. I marked the XLR connectors with stickers A/B/C/D and tested all the cables.

The first track played, was the Tittle track from Sade's “Soldiers of Love” Album. The order of play was D/A/B/C and only the first third of the track played each time, to keep the memory period short.

This track is rich, even thick, with a prominent regular drum beat overlaid and Sade's vocal intertwined.
    Gordon stated there was not enough difference for him to pick one cable as better than another and to be honest, I felt more or less the same way.

We moved on to a female vocal with acoustic Guitar and
    “Pilgrim” from the Wild Honey Album by Alexandra Alden. This track is very well recorded and with little backing there is no where to hide, the vocal is clean and has you hanging on every breath, with some nice finger picking acoustic guitar to help it along.

I played the cables random so Gordon didn't know which was in use, but the actual order for this track was C/A/B/D.

Again Gordon was not able to distinguish one from another.
    I was more certain on this track and “B” stood out to me as the most transparent with a little harshness on the High's of the vocal. “D” was almost as Transparent but not as edgy with the vocal. “A” was the warmest sounding but least transparent. “C” didn't have any major flaws but didn't stand out either.

The cables were:
    A = Klotz MC5000
    B= Mogami 2549
    C= Sommer Carbokab
    D= Spotfire

The differences between these cables for balanced use, are small. Gordon could not distinguish one from another. My thoughts overall were similar to my previous experience.

I had also listened for longer periods, over the previous few days. I tended to find problems with one or more tracks, be it lack of transparency, not punchy enough, or edgy top end, so moved on to the next cable. After much back and forth, I built up an opinion as to which best suited my system and let me enjoy the music most.

Across a wide selection of artists and music types, the Spotfire gave the fewest problems and was the most versatile, never really tripping up. The Mogami was the most transparent and could sound terrific on some tracks, but was too edgy at the top on other material and was not an easy listen when this happened. The Klotz was good on simple acoustic tracks, but with a complex busy track from Snarky Puppy, could sound over lush and slightly veiled, but only when compared back to back with one of the others.
    The Carbokab didn't have any major vices, but it didn't excite me either, there wasn't one area where you could say it excelled over the rest, a bit Grey in that respect. I swapped back and forth between this and the Spotfire several times. With no obvious failing, I couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like about it, maybe a bit flatter dynamically, in the end I just preferred the Carbokab.

So the Spotfire got the best out of my balanced system, but it is a subtle difference, only noticeable over prolonged listening sessions with varied material and is best categorised by what it doesn't do badly, compared to the others tested.
    Hi Ken,

Again, it's an uncharted territory for me where balanced cables are concerned. I'm glad you've done the test and I'm happy with the results as while the difference you hear maybe subtle, the same order is how I'd rate them here but with it being a little more obvious. That's in blind tests too. It does also prove to me that the 'magic' is in the combination of KLE plug and cable.

Oliver.

I'm Martin.

Interesting that you both struggled to identify differences blind. I found the same thing. Not saying that there are not differences but it shows how we exaggerate the differences when we know which one we are listening to.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ken.

Just read back what I wrote, towards the end when comparing the Carbokab and the Spotfire, it was the Spotfire I preferred not the Carbokab. I had a brain fart when writing the piece and typed the wrong name. Doe! You get the gist from the piece though.

Yes the differences seem larger when you know what your listening to, extended listening does eventually identify which works best though.

Bigman80 Guest

edit the post?
    Just read back what I wrote, towards the end when comparing the Carbokab and the Spotfire, it was the Spotfire I preferred not the Carbokab. I had a brain fart when writing the piece and typed the wrong name. Doe! You get the gist from the piece though.

Yes the differences seem larger when you know what your listening to, extended listening does eventually identify which works best though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast