+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: XLR Cable shoot out - including the Spotfire IC

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I see your point mate and don't disagree that something unquestioned is something unsubstantiated. Trouble is, how do you prove burn in?
    Blind test with a set of brand new cables and a set that has 100 hours on them. If you can still consistently identify a difference then you have something worthy of further investigation (or you can at least be personally satisfied that there is a real effect).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Blind test with a set of brand new cables and a set that has 100 hours on them. If you can still consistently identify a difference then you have something worthy of further investigation (or you can at least be personally satisfied that there is a real effect).
    Challenge accepted. You up for a blind test? Do it at mine and you can hear the Krell.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

To be honest, until people actually do some proper blind testing, it's all just opinion & 'feelings' rather than reliably identifying cable differences. I don't think it is a coincidence that LFD, one of the most cable and wire fanatic companies out there, do not make XLR cables anymore, because they are a 'well sorted' connection. Being able to rank a series of them from best to worst, well, it smacks of expectation bias to me. End of the day, if the differences are so clear, then blind testing isn't going to make these differences disappear.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 03-10-2018 at 10:16.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Simon.

Cable burn-in is hokum, there's absolutely no change whatsoever in electrical parameters with use. However the quality of your hi-fi fluctuates with the time of day, and with your mood, so there are many good reasons why our perception of sound quality changes and a new set of cables is an easy place to hang any system fluctuations. it's just human nature to want to be able to pin that tail on the donkey in this way as it helps us understand our world, we prefer categorisation to the unknown. That's how religions started when we didn't jack shit about how and why things happen, weather, the seasons, any of it. It's a comfortable way of explaining the unknown.

I can see perfectly valid reasons why the quality of shielding and impedance of earthing between components could have an effect on sound quality though.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    I can see perfectly valid reasons why the quality of shielding and impedance of earthing between components could have an effect on sound quality though.
    Two areas where there are far more variances in RCA cables. Standard pro-audio XLRs like Belden & Canare, with the ubiquitous Neutrik XLRs, have no issues with either shielding or impedance.

There is the 'Pin 1' problem as discussed earlier of course, here's a good article from Rane: https://www.rane.com/note165.html
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Challenge accepted. You up for a blind test? Do it at mine and you can hear the Krell.

Yes we can do that providing you don't live out in the back of beyond. Send us a PM.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

He's in Wolverhampton, some might think that the back of beyond

Bigman80 Guest

an outrageous statement
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I've heard of that place. I believe they're still doing missionary work out there.

I'm tony.

great write up Ken....thanks for that.

my experience regards cables is that they do subtly change over time

my spotfire resides in my av set up....it settled down after 100hrs or so.

had many cable bake offs over the years-not everyone prefers the same sonic signature but usually we all hear and describe the individual differences quite consistently.

at the end of the day its good fun getting together for a session and enjoying our shared passion for audio/music

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast